Need a way to correct myself

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Seal The Albatros

Reaction score
So every once in a while, through some thought at some random time, I'll wind up thinking one thought that will make me think my friends don't like me. Then it will get to other thoughts such as why. I'll then start seeing myself as a failure and a freak or something like that and everything will spiral downwards for a bit. Now I could talk to a friend about this, but the thing is, while I'm in this mindset, I keep thinking I'll just be a burden if I try asking them. That or I'd worry they might think I'm just looking for attention. (Which is somewhat true considering getting a bit of attention helps me greatly while in this mood)

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there's any way to prove my thoughts wrong the next time they come up before they become worse and difficult to change.

If this thread is identical to my last thread, I do apologize.

I think first you need to figure out what triggers these thoughts and try to avoid the trigger.
Aside from that, you just have to stop worrying so much and realize that what you are saying isn't necessarily because it's true, but rather that you are insecure about what you mean to others and to yourself. When you have a negative attitude of yourself, it will eventually get to the point of swinging outward to the other people in your life by telling yourself that if YOU don't like yourself, how could anyone else possibly like you.
Stay busy, find a new hobby and maybe meet some new people. But also continue hanging out with your other friends. If they didn't like you, they probably wouldn't be hanging out with you.

I agree with evrything that TheRealCallie says, if you find that these are being kind of distant, maybe join a club, meet new people. Or another solution is talking to your friends and asking them what they like about you, although this can be difficult, this will probably make you feel good and you will be able to tell how good of a friend they are. hope this helps

If you find yourself having these thoughts again, try to respect the thought, then place it to one side, and think something more positive to counter it. Or think of something completely opposite. Like, "I am not a failure, I have friends in my life"

I do something like this and it works for me.

Thanks for the tips. I've resorted to trying to notice those thoughts as soon as they show up and immediately repeating to myself that they are wrong. I don't know how long it will work for, but it's working pretty well for now.

Thanks again. :)

I agree. You should figure out what causes you to think this way. Next time it happens, maybe make a small note of what you were thinking of that made you think this way. And the more you do it, you should certainly see some sort of pattern. Then, all you need to do is act upon this, and change whatever it is that is making you feel this way by doing something to counter it. Then, hopefully, you shouldn't feel this way anymore, but it should also boost your ego and make you feel good for overcoming this problem.

I hope this helps. :)

Thank you all for the tips.
I've decided to try thinking it over in two ways. One would be the, "patient," who would think about the problem, the other would be the, "therapist," using logic and holes found in the, "patient's," thoughts to prove myself wrong. It seems to be working so far.
Thanks again. :)

Sounds like the confirmation bias: When we seek and accept only the evidence that supports our claim, discarding the rest. Perhaps try the inverse of what you currently do: Catch yourself thinking these thoughts, but then seek and find evidence that they (the friends) do, indeed, like you. Chances are you'll find ample evidence of this.

When we change the way we view the world, the world we view changes. More than semantics, this speaks to the power of: Whatever we feel we are, we're right. That thoughts become things. ♥

Matchbook said:
Sounds like the confirmation bias: When we seek and accept only the evidence that supports our claim, discarding the rest. Perhaps try the inverse of what you currently do: Catch yourself thinking these thoughts, but then seek and find evidence that they (the friends) do, indeed, like you. Chances are you'll find ample evidence of this.

When we change the way we view the world, the world we view changes. More than semantics, this speaks to the power of: Whatever we feel we are, we're right. That thoughts become things. ♥

That's comes from my depression. I ignore everything else and focus on why I can't get anybody to date me.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
So every once in a while, through some thought at some random time, I'll wind up thinking one thought that will make me think my friends don't like me. Then it will get to other thoughts such as why. I'll then start seeing myself as a failure and a freak or something like that and everything will spiral downwards for a bit. Now I could talk to a friend about this, but the thing is, while I'm in this mindset, I keep thinking I'll just be a burden if I try asking them. That or I'd worry they might think I'm just looking for attention. (Which is somewhat true considering getting a bit of attention helps me greatly while in this mood)

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if there's any way to prove my thoughts wrong the next time they come up before they become worse and difficult to change.

I'm not a Doctor, but I have a diagnosis of obsessive compulsive thoughts, it kind of sounds like you have this too - have you seen a Doctor or anything?

Mr Seal The Albatros said:

Try to distract yourself either with positive thoughts or with an activity that would make you think about something else. You can also try to remind yourself of the good things that people told you before. For example, you could try to reread a conversation that was pleasant to you, or one that helped you feel better before.

Latest posts

Back