Coping Mechanisms and Effects

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer145

Reaction score
Responding to loneliness is key to coping with it but how do you cope with it? What are the effects of it for you? I cope by eating, taking aimless walks and sleeping. Whenever my mind starts dwelling on it I usually force myself to get up and do something because it's the worst feeling wallowing in depression.

Eating hasn't really become shown that much visible weight gain but it's like the best quick fix if I feel bad and it's normally the sugary stuff I go for too..I do wonder if it's going to affect my long term health but at this point I don't care.

Sleeping is like a reset. When I get back home from whatever and it's late at night especially on Friday and Saturday the feeling is so bad I think it's time to go to bed to avoid thinking more about it.

What works for you?

I become my own therapist. Yes, that means talking to myself. I try to examine the problem in the "therapist" role and come up with logical conclusions, proving my thoughts wrong.

Video games also seem to work for me. Makes me focus on something else and can be set up quickly.

I read and watch DVD's. It feels like putting a sticking plaster on a broken leg, but it is still better than just listening to my thoughts going round and round.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
I become my own therapist. Yes, that means talking to myself. I try to examine the problem in the "therapist" role and come up with logical conclusions, proving my thoughts wrong.

That is so cool.

What works for me it seems, is to pull myself away from people for a bit, just hide and be on my own to analyse and reflect and just work things out within myself during that time.

I used to also eat junk when I get depressed but recently, I don't know I think because I'm all grown up and different, I tend to just lose appetite. And I work it out.. sometimes a bit too much more than what I can take that it ends up making me feel sick.

Talking to certain types of people also help. People who get me, people who understand and genuinely care about me.

ladyforsaken said:
What works for me it seems, is to pull myself away from people for a bit, just hide and be on my own to analyse and reflect and just work things out within myself during that time.

This is what i tend to do, as well.

I don't feel lonely but I do get down because of my lack of success with the ladies.
I usually treat myself to something or focus on something I am looking forward to, usually a round of golf, a new book coming out or a photo trip.

Reading, training, creating, meditation, walking with Flay, cuddling Flay, losing myself in nature, absorbing energy from nature, cooking, zombies, visiting friends, music, dancing, swimming, skating....that sorta thang.

When I'm feeling terrible, I have the reverse problem and tend not to eat at all.

I tend to bury myself in work and studies, trying to outdo the feeling of loneliness with the feeling of accomplishment. It's nice having things socially successful people don't, and that tends to comfort me when I'm down.

I probably play games and listen to music. It usually get me thinking about what I'm going to do on the game, or just listening and sort of singing along with music. Then just go to sleep when I've had enough. Only to awake to another day of it...

I don't know about coping with loneliness, but I do some things to cope with the madness of our world.

I enjoy music (mostly old stuff, some new stuff), old movies, and sleeping. Lots and lots of sleeping.

Food was the biggest coping mechanism I had too but it can also be a cure soon. The weight gain and then the methods you're trying to get rid of it. But maybe others won't have that problem.

So I try to sleep. To stop overthinking. I hoped that this forum would help me too but maybe I'm a little to sensitive when it comes to writing with someone and then it abruptly ends without a reason.

But maybe that's just normal and I have also done it sometimes without remembering now....

Latest posts

Back