Vortex of frustration

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamc88

Reaction score
This is my first post. Hi everyone. I was on a SA forum but I think I misdiagnosed myself. I'm actually not that bad in social situations when I'm not depressed and I have something to say. I wanted somewhere to write down some of the frustrations I've had and let build up for years.
Do you ever have something trivial but annoying happen like not being able to find something or your car breaking down and when the initial frustration of that has not been resolved you suddenly spiral into thinking about other things that haven't gone right. Getting mildly told off for not doing something right can lead to being angry about not standing up to people at school 10 years ago or feeling like I've wasted a lot of time in a crap job or not having any real friends. Anything can trigger it. I was really annoyed before about reports of a man who had been in jail for 39 years for something he didn't do. Nothing of that magnitude has ever happened to me but I still somehow became frustrated about my own life because of it. Maybe I was thinking that I never seize the day or about apathetic friends I've had that if I told them the story they wouldn't be as annoyed.

Yes, this happens to me as well. I think that when we have a lot of pain/anger/unhappiness from the past inside us, it often doesn't take much for it to be touched on, leading us to overreact to something in the present. I can also relate to your being upset over the man who was wrongly imprisoned for 39 years-things from the news often stick in my head as well.

Happened many times to me, then I realized that the past is gone and isn't worth fretting over. Haven't had it happen since. :)

Jamc88 said:
This is my first post. Hi everyone. I was on a SA forum but I think I misdiagnosed myself. I'm actually not that bad in social situations when I'm not depressed and I have something to say. I wanted somewhere to write down some of the frustrations I've had and let build up for years.
Do you ever have something trivial but annoying happen like not being able to find something or your car breaking down and when the initial frustration of that has not been resolved you suddenly spiral into thinking about other things that haven't gone right. Getting mildly told off for not doing something right can lead to being angry about not standing up to people at school 10 years ago or feeling like I've wasted a lot of time in a crap job or not having any real friends. Anything can trigger it. I was really annoyed before about reports of a man who had been in jail for 39 years for something he didn't do. Nothing of that magnitude has ever happened to me but I still somehow became frustrated about my own life because of it. Maybe I was thinking that I never seize the day or about apathetic friends I've had that if I told them the story they wouldn't be as annoyed.

This would be called catastrophizing and ruminating, but hell, who am I to throw psychology terms at you? Blech.

You can know what these things are and yet labeling them doesn't make them go away.

I think sometimes things…they ignite a spark of frustration or despair that we have with our lives in general. Perhaps it stems from a larger lack of meaning we feel.

I suppose that's all I have to say. None of it was probably helpful, mostly because…I haven't figured out how to fix such a thing within myself. I was bitter for a very long time and despaired at the state of the world, but something occured that made me feel a little less bitter…and my overall outlook on life is better now. Well, at least for the time being.

I'm of no help, I know.

:) I tried.

Jamc88 said:

Yes, that happens to me from time to time. The frustration I have right now with my struggles to get a decent job and a girlfriend often spill over, and suddenly I find myself that I should have thrown some punches back in school even though it would have meant detention because it would have been worth it for my pride, or other such things. News stories often trigger this too. Even certain topics on here trigger such thoughts in me, anyway.

I try to avoid the news for this particular reason. Some people say that to avoid the news is to be willfully ignorant, but I think all of the bad news of the world can overwhelm a person, especially if these are huge problems that you can do little about. You might be able to do something about them in time if you devote yourself to the issues, but as you are, it's not doing you any good to hear about them. I say that if you know what triggers these feelings, try to avoid them for now until you are emotionally strong enough to deal with them. Take as long as you need. Anyway, that's what I'm trying to do at least.

Latest posts

Back