Imaginary friends?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h3donist

Reaction score
Ok I'm going to make myself sound completely insane here but hear me out.

I am a 34 year old man and I have an imaginary friend.

Her name is Shanice, and she just came to me once when I was lying in bed. I think my brain decided to create her as a coping mechanism/strategy. Her appearance changes regularly but usually she's African American, quite tall and has a beautiful smile. I have glow in the dark stars on my ceiling and I lie under them with her. It helps me because I genuinely feel like there's someone there and I don't feel alone anymore. Sometimes she is around in the day too, sat in the spare chair in my office usually trying to distract me from doing any work :)

Is that healthy for an adult? Anyone else invent people in their lives to cope with the feelings of loneliness?

Oh good! I'm not the only one then!

I'm 18 and I have a few. There are two that I'm almost always with. Of course, I don't really talk to them outloud in public, but it's nice to have people who won't forget about you or judge you for who you are. Then there are the ones in the RPGS I play.

As to how healthy it is, well, I can't say I know for sure. I know it has its benefits. If it helps you cope with loneliness, I guess it's all good.

h3donist said:
Ok I'm going to make myself sound completely insane here but hear me out.

I am a 34 year old man and I have an imaginary friend.

Her name is Shanice, and she just came to me once when I was lying in bed. I think my brain decided to create her as a coping mechanism/strategy. Her appearance changes regularly but usually she's African American, quite tall and has a beautiful smile. I have glow in the dark stars on my ceiling and I lie under them with her. It helps me because I genuinely feel like there's someone there and I don't feel alone anymore. Sometimes she is around in the day too, sat in the spare chair in my office usually trying to distract me from doing any work :)

Is that healthy for an adult? Anyone else invent people in their lives to cope with the feelings of loneliness?

Imaginary friends are for children
But children outgrow that stage.
it is an escape and excuse from facing reality.
Get yourself off of these friends. It is not healthy to enter that world.
Get out and feed the poor, Go to where help is needed, you will meet the real world, not the imaginary world you are playing with.
Eventually this "thing" will take you over and destroy your sanity.
You are dealing with a evil spirit.

I would like to suggest that you go and speak with a pastor, ask him if he can refer you to a organization that help people. They can refer you.
Years ago I worked in a soup kitchen and a place that fills bags of food for the hungry.
Do something.

I have my normal self and my crazy self. We talk and argue and insult all the time. I'm not sure which one is more of a dick yet.

JHK said:
I have my normal self and my crazy self. We talk and argue and insult all the time. I'm not sure which one is more of a dick yet.

Both

madera23 said:

Please stop promoting stuff like this, you've been asked before not to. Having and imaginary friend is NOT an evil spirit.

Sci-fi, how do YOU know…?( ta da ta da ta da ta da twilight zone music) :D

I'd love to have some nice ghost coming to keep me company, it would be slightly more healthy than an imaginary friend, but only slightly.

Talking to pets? Another inch healthier. But honestly, evil spirits aside, it would be much better to find some real people to talk with and dream about, children don't have the tools to go out and just do that but grown ups do.

madera23 said:
JHK said:

Both

Definitely. But one can't be more and the same.

Peaches said:
Sci-fi, how do YOU know…?( ta da ta da ta da ta da twilight zone music) :D

I'd love to have some nice ghost coming to keep me company, it would be slightly more healthy than an imaginary friend, but only slightly.

Talking to pets? Another inch healthier. But honestly, evil spirits aside, it would be much better to find some real people to talk with and dream about, children don't have the tools to go out and just do that but grown ups do.

There's not anything wrong with actually talking to an animal, is there? I find them a lot better listeners and a lot more compassionate then humans.

Sci-Fi said:
madera23 said:

Please stop promoting stuff like this, you've been asked before not to. Having and imaginary friend is NOT an evil spirit.

I am not promoting anything but the truth from personal experience.
Take a look at the hell going on in the world, it is not a person who causes it, but an evil spirit in the person.

madera23 said:
Sci-Fi said:
madera23 said:

Take a look at the hell going on in the world, it is not a person who causes it, but an evil spirit in the person.

Every time I've been hurt it's been by a physical human being.

Nicolelt said:
JHK said:
Peaches said:
Animals are the best :)

I agree. Unless I missed the point that it was imaginary animals. That might be odd.

I had an imaginary dog when I was a kid.

We can get away with a lot of craziness as a kid. I wasn't creative enough to invent anything so I let authors do it for me (maybe I still do). For some reason, it is wrong for us to behave this way as adults.
So when do we, and who are we, to draw the line of when it's right or wrong when it comes to a coping mechanism? I can't say...

JHK said:
Nicolelt said:
JHK said:
Peaches said:

I agree. Unless I missed the point that it was imaginary animals. That might be odd.

We can get away with a lot of craziness as a kid. I wasn't creative enough to invent anything so I let authors do it for me (maybe I still do). For some reason, it is wrong for us to behave this way as adults.
So when do we, and who are we, to draw the line of when it's right or wrong when it comes to a coping mechanism? I can't say...

I think it depends on how you use it. I wouldn't talk to my imaginary friends out in the open so I won't be laughed at, but I still keep them around. Nobody gets hurt from me doing it, and it only helps me, so I see it as something I should keep.

Mr Seal The Albatros said:
JHK said:
Nicolelt said:
JHK said:
Peaches said:

I think it depends on how you use it. I wouldn't talk to my imaginary friends out in the open so I won't be laughed at, but I still keep them around. Nobody gets hurt from me doing it, and it only helps me, so I see it as something I should keep.

I have arguments with fake people while I drive, or take a shower, or anything when I am alone. I guess that's not an imaginary friend though.

JHK said:
madera23 said:
Sci-Fi said:
madera23 said:

Every time I've been hurt it's been by a physical human being.
it is the spirit in the human being that hurt you., it seems like the person.
When Jesus was on the cross, he said "forgive them FAther, for they know what they do".
He understood .
JEsus was tempted by the demon in the desert, but could not enter him.

The desert could also be a place of lonliness.

Currently have 3 dogs, 5 cats, a pig, several chickens and 4 goats.....if an imaginary friend would help out with chores I say bring it.

Latest posts

Back