Do more pets help

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodeilla

Reaction score
I'm at my wits end because I'm so lonely. I have one cat. He is very independent. He doesn't like for me to hold him.

I thought of getting another cat. I don't know if more personalities in the home help with loneliness. I would love to have a dog. I could go on walks with my dog. A dog would have more of a personality.

Then again another cat would be easier.

What do you think?

Both¡¡¡¡ As u say with the dog u can go walks, they are more active and with the 2nd cat you can raise a little kitty, they are sooo sweet and then he/she will become a partner of the 1st cat. Often when you have a couple of cats they become more cuddly with the owner. They spen all the energy playing with the partner.

And if you take the animals from a shelter you will feel that you give a home to a couple of animals, that feels wonderful.

Good luck and enjoy¡¡

Ive got six cats and two dogs. Its like you said though some of them dont like to be held. All of ours have very distinct personalities. Some of them like to be held some dont all the time. They all have personalities just like people so it depends on the animal. My dogs they are very hyper and constantly licking me and barking at stuff, but all that aside theyre very affectionate and loving. But the dog i had before that he was like super calm and shy and barely barked so once again same as the cats, depends on their personality how they act.

I take my dogs walking when im able and it really is great to have an excuse to get out and walk that helps some.

As far as it helping with loneliness sometimes it does. Like tonight my insomnias got my sleep screwed up again so im stuck up all night and i talk to them half the night if i get to feeling down or whatever, or just if i feel like talking to them. I probably spend more time talking to them than i do people lol.

If you could afford to get another cat (one that likes cuddles) and a dog, this might be the best solution. If you can only afford one new pet, maybe you could get one of the small breeds of dogs. This way you could get your cuddles from the little dog and also be able to take it out for walks.

Wow! That's a lot of pets. No time to feel lonely... lol. I'm seriously thinking of getting another cat. I've been doing my research. I'm calling the shelter later on today. There's a cute adult cat there.

I am a pro cat lady lol. I have two a rescue and one I raised from a kitten. Pippin orange and white is a behemoth at 22 lbs. He is not fat, just a big kitty. He loves me when he wants something or when he decides the human is in need of a cuddle. He's 10 years old just last month.

I adopted a rescue cat who was approximately 1.5 years old back in 2010, her name is Honey. Honey is a tortoiseshell cat and they are known as the mental illness kitties of the cat world as they can be a lil odd the best of times. She is my lil love, snuggle, bunny. When I am down, which being bipolar depressed is more often than I like, she senses it and becomes more of a I am here for you mum kitty. Purring, kneading and head butting. She often jumps up on the desk and sits at one side and watches me on here.

I love dogs but in my own defense I prefer cats. If you decide to get another cat. Try a rescue and it is suggested that you get the opposite sex to the cat you have. I am very pro adoption as there are so many cats that have adorable personalities and in need of a home.

Hope this helps.. Bright Blessings ^.^

Thanks. I am looking at a female cat right now. My cat is male. I'm waiting on the shelter to give me info on her. I'm looking for age and background. I want to make sure she is healthy and will fit in with my family.

Bodeilla, If I were looking for another cat at a shelter, I'd ask them if they have any older dog like cats. Ya know what I mean, more the kind that like laying next to ya, mellow, loving, lazy and not so independent. The older (middle age and up) adults don't get the chances to be adopted as most are drawn to the cute kittens and youngsters. But I'd be more drawn to the one that nobody has wanted. Is your male cat neutered? I don't know where ya are, but you can find shelters and rescues on Petfinders too. It's just heartbreaking to see so many loving pets that have nobody that loves them and a good home. I have taken in strays for 30 years or so, and they always have seemed to find me. I have several cats (always indoors) and dogs. My oldest cat is 21. I live out the country where so no one hassles me.

bodeilla said:
Wow! That's a lot of pets. No time to feel lonely... lol. I'm seriously thinking of getting another cat. I've been doing my research. I'm calling the shelter later on today. There's a cute adult cat there.

Yeah they definitely keep me busy lol. Its funny sometimes its like living in a village of furry people. We got a spare bedroom we converted into their playroom. Believe it or not before she met me my wife hated cats lol. Now she doesnt know what shed do without them. I converted her i guess. Weve got a stray here that i call ralph that keeps coming around too that i gotta find a home for. I hope im able to find him one hes such a sweet cat but we definitely cant afford anymore. I hope you and the kitty are happy together.

Oh yeah and i seen this the other day i thought this was the cutest thing ever lol. Check him out....

[video=youtube]

My cat is also very independent, but she hates all other animals (and most people. lol). I had some success introducing another cat once, but she was too wild to be around my kids and wouldn't calm down, so we had to get her away from the kids. My cat is too old now to deal with that, so I won't even try.

But yeah, I say go for it. The only thing I'll suggest, if you decide to get a dog, it would likely be wise to get a puppy, so you can train it easier to not eat the cat :p

Get a dog...I've always wanted one...too bad my landlord has said strictly no pets. It'd be great to have a ball of energy and watch it grow up. They say dog's are amazing because no matter what day it is or what has happened they are always happy to see you :)

Dogs are more demanding than cats, they need far more personal interaction with their humans.....neglected, they suffer. However, they also offer a lot more loving relationshipping in return. With a cat, if the human isn't prepared to invest a lot of time and caring, the cat can live perfectly happily on its own......so long as it's fed and sheltered.....although some cats are manipulative enough to guilt trip their humans into lots of cuddling time.

Advantages and disadvantages with either choice.......I have both and I'll always have a dog and probably will feed and shelter the next castaway cat that decides to adopt me.

I'm still thinking about my new cat. I'm working out the finances. I have to pay extra for another pet deposit. I might be able to do it because the class I registered for was only 1 credit hour. A third less the cost. So good news. She's still available. I might try to get her today.

bodeilla said:
I'm still thinking about my new cat. I'm working out the finances. I have to pay extra for another pet deposit. I might be able to do it because the class I registered for was only 1 credit hour. A third less the cost. So good news. She's still available. I might try to get her today.

Another cat would be wise, though get it neutered. Tomcats otherwise are intolerable and female cats will, given time, only give birth to more cats and these being the Heinz 57 variety. :p

Give considering to the possibility your first cat may fight your new one because they are territorial, and importantly, you will need to pay vet's bills.

Don't have a dog. Dogs and cats don't get along any better than cats with mice; speaking personally. ;) And don't ever, EVER, get a springer spaniel! I used to have one. It was a totally bonkers dog, always on the go. O__O

Mouse said:
Don't have a dog. Dogs and cats don't get along any better than cats with mice; speaking personally. ;) And don't ever, EVER, get a springer spaniel! I used to have one. It was a totally bonkers dog, always on the go. O__O

Dogs and cats can get along just fine. I know many many people who have both. I, at one time, had both. It's just a matter of how they are introduced and the temperament of the animals. A puppy is much easier to introduce, as you can train them to your own liking, whereas an adult dog already has ingrained behavior and may not like or tolerate cats.
But, what's wrong with "Heinz 57" cats? My cat is one of those and I wouldn't change her for anything. Actually, most of my cats have been that way.

As for the springer spaniel, yeah, they are rambunctious dogs, but so are many others.

TheRealCallie said:
Mouse said:

Dogs and cats can get along just fine. I know many many people who have both. I, at one time, had both. It's just a matter of how they are introduced and the temperament of the animals. A puppy is much easier to introduce, as you can train them to your own liking, whereas an adult dog already has ingrained behavior and may not like or tolerate cats.
But, what's wrong with "Heinz 57" cats? My cat is one of those and I wouldn't change her for anything. Actually, most of my cats have been that way.

As for the springer spaniel, yeah, they are rambunctious dogs, but so are many others.

There's nothing wrong with 'Heinz 57' variety, I was jesting. Moggies make great pets whatever colour, size, shape or whatever they are. But I was stressing how important it IS to neuter one's female cat or it will have a great many kittens.

As for dog s 'n' cats, yesh, some get on okay together I guess.

Yea, my concern with getting a dog is that they might not get along. That would be stressful. I plan on introducing the cats gradually. One will be in the bedroom and one in the living room. And then one will be in a carrier when I get them to meet. I hope it works.

bodeilla said:
Yea, my concern with getting a dog is that they might not get along. That would be stressful. I plan on introducing the cats gradually. One will be in the bedroom and one in the living room. And then one will be in a carrier when I get them to meet. I hope it works.

I hope so too. I hope they don't fight.

Latest posts

Back