Im a better version of myself when im drunk?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loadedgun

Reaction score
when im drunk my social anxiety, depression and self esteem problems seem to melt away. I can actually talk to people the way I want to-the way im too scared to when im sober. I realize I don't want to be dependent on alcohol but it just seems to cure my issues better than any medication. I actually dont drink often at all-very rarely really but when I start actually talking with people it makes me want to do it more often. People actually like me when I'm drunk. Anyone else deal with this?

The problem is that it is a slippery slope. At first alcohol can seem like a miracle to people like us who are socially awkward. But if you carry on, you know you will become dependent on alcohol. It might bring you superficial popularity now but if you become an alcoholic, you will lose any popularity you have. Maybe you could get help with the social anxiety instead.

That's exactly how I feel. Had a life when I used to drink every weekend. Now I just drink a bit at Christmas time and have no life.

I know the feeling, but it is dangerous to drink to ease the anxiety. perhaps you can talk to a doctor about this and see if you can get some help with this anxiety...

I wish you the best of luck... stay safe!

At my last job, I got really drunk once. After that one time, most of the office went out of their way to get me drunk at company events. I mean seriously, I would be sitting there and I would be given like 2 or 3 shots. Now what does this say, it says that the potential to be likeable is there. You just need to find another way to turn off those inhibitors.

The problem is that alcohol doesn't selectively turn off the negative inhibitors, it affects all your inhibitions. I've noticed that people seem to like me much more when I'm hammered, but I've also done some pretty terrible things when I've been drunk - it just takes the right circumstances to trigger it. I'd rather stay sober and be liked (or disliked) for who I actually am.

The other problem with alcohol is that it's a short term euphoric and a long term depressive, so you're going to end up having to drink increasingly large amounts to get the same buzz and then sink deeper each time. I can see that leading to alcohol dependence pretty quickly.

Cavey is right (I seem to be saying that a lot recently). Alcohol lowers all inhibitions so you can function without the anxiety, but it does come with a nasty cost. The resulting depression after the high can be even worse than the anxiety you are using it to hide from.

Whenever I think of using substances...I think of substances like gravity. What goes up must come down.

And sometimes we may feel we are being popular and liked when we are drunk, but in reality we are seeing everything through an alcohol haze and the people we think are laughing with us are actually laughing at us.
I do hope that you find find proper help and support to help you with your social anxiety.

it's a trap. drunking makes your problems worst,and you could be better without alcol....if you'd know the right way ;)

Tiina63 said:
And sometimes we may feel we are being popular and liked when we are drunk, but in reality we are seeing everything through an alcohol haze and the people we think are laughing with us are actually laughing at us.
I do hope that you find find proper help and support to help you with your social anxiety.

Reminds me of Gta 5 lol everytime someone was drunk in that game they'd end up fighting.

It's a drunk delusion

I have a friend who thinks she's a better version of herself when she's loaded.

Turns out she's just an abrasive, reckless drunk. :/

Alcohol reduces your inhibitions. And when that's done, you can actually socialize. Congratulations, you now know that "you have it in you."

You also now realize that your fears and worries aren't a 100% legit; now that you have evidence that you can be social.

The next step would naturally be: learn to socialize without having to drink.

- Paul

I am too. It doesn't make people like me any more, but I do become more easily sociable when drinking.

I can understand this. Maybe not really drunk but after a 2 or 3 drinks I find myself worrying less, talking easily. Although the next day I often wonder if I acted too forward or said setting I shouldn't have. Nothing offensive, bad or mean. Just more like over shared details I wouldn't usually talk about. Because I haven't been very social in so long that I'm not sure if that's what "normal" people would do or say. But after I worry myself senseless I just decide it's already done and there's no taking it back and if people truly think I'm weird or whatever the case may be then it is what it is. Although I might be socially awkward I'm still being myself and I would want people to enjoy being around me when I'm being myself rather than acting like someone else. I'm terms of talking, discussions and joking around etc

Latest posts

Back