Feeling isolated

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlozdude

Reaction score
Hmmmm I'm not really sure where to begin actually. I'm 36 and I have a slight disability (have to walk with a cane.) Was born premature and was born with the disability. I know that doesn't define me but I needed to get that out there I guess. I have always had some shyness about it and maybe felt a little insecure. I have a few close friends but they are all married and in relationships. So I always feel like I'm in the way lol.
I was in a relationship for 11 years until a couple of months ago. She was from London and I met her when I went there on holidays and we started a long distance relationship. Though we would both actually visit each other when we could. It seems strange but the distance never really bothered us. I have just started on antidepressant's a week ago... (please no horror stories on these drugs I want to go into them with a positive frame of mind lol.)
I guess just lately I'm feeling a little socially isolated and kind of stuck. I live in a small town not really small small but there isn't much for single people my age to do. I've never really been into clubs or anything like that and I'm also kind of introverted I guess. Does anyone else have this problem where they just seem all on their own even if they have friends and support of family?

I am 34, male with no friends and not close with any of my family. So yeah, you could say I am a tad lonely and isolated. I'm also gay so very unlikely to ever have a partner, and I find I don't identify with straight couples.

I think feeling lonely and\or depressed doesn't depend on whether you are on your own or have friends or family.

Sometimes its easy to beat yourself up when you do have people around you, a sort of "what's wrong with me, why do I feel like this?" thing, but if you feel alone, that's how you feel. And I totally get the feeling of being in the way. In my case it stems I think, from knowing that I wasn't wanted by my father, ( he had said so) and growing up feeling sensitive about it. I still am, - if I think I am in the way, I'm offski.

As for the anti depressants, I once tried prozac which didn't do it for me, but I know someone whose life was revolutionised by it, so I hope the same for you. :)

Latest posts

Back