Have you ever been guilt-tripped?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niceguysfinishlast

Reaction score
Does someone try to make you feel guilty about something in order to get what they want? It's happened to me, though i won't name names. I hate being guilt-tripped. Guilt-tripping is manipulative in my opinion.

I guess that it happens to everyone at some point . You just need to detect it and not be fooled.

Oh goodness, yes. I've found that the people who like to guilt-trip the most are usually the ones who'll drop you like a bad habit when you need something from them. It's pretty disgusting. :|

Yes I have. It's a dishonest manipulation tactic that I despise more and more for each time I encounter it.

Lacrecia said:
I guess that it happens to everyone at some point . You just need to detect it and not be fooled.

Uhuh. At multiple points, it seems. It's something that can be hard to detect when it happens at lower magnitudes.

It might be easier to count Has anyone NOT been guilt tripped.

But here's a question: Do those who are guilt tripping others KNOW that they are guilt tripping others?

It's universal. People who guilt-trip others to get what they want also GET guilt-tripped by yet others so those yet-others can get what they want, so even they have been the victims of it.

Sometimes said:
But here's a question: Do those who are guilt tripping others KNOW that they are guilt tripping others?

Sometimes they are aware of it, sometimes they aren't. My mother does it to me sometimes, sometimes out of awareness, sometimes just purely out of her attachment to me and I know she didn't mean it.

I'm guilty of doing that at the micro-level, for example, snubbing people who've snubbed me in the hope that they'll regret it. Pathetic, really.

ardour said:
I'm guilty of doing that at the micro-level, for example, snubbing people who've snubbed me in the hope that they'll regret it. Pathetic, really.

Going off this, I think everyone has also given a guilt trip.

You may not have been aware that you were doing it, but chances are likely that you have.

Latest posts

Back