No life experiences

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in my late 20's (27 years old) and compared to some other people my age I am very far behind in experiences. There is one guy I used to go to college with who is now a doctor and has lived in Argentina. On his Facebook page he seemed to have made quite a few friends around the world. Last night I was researching careers in finance just out of curiosity and when I look at the profiles, there are people younger than me who are in advanced careers. Of course, all these people have friends, experiences and are well travelled.

Is it too late? I just graduated with a bachelors this summer and I'm trying to figure out what to do for a career or for grad school, yet these people are years ahead of me. I have missed out on so much I want to cry. :(

pancakes_online said:
I'm in my late 20's (27 years old) and compared to some other people my age I am very far behind in experiences. There is one guy I used to go to college with who is now a doctor and has lived in Argentina. On his Facebook page he seemed to have made quite a few friends around the world. Last night I was researching careers in finance just out of curiosity and when I look at the profiles, there are people younger than me who are in advanced careers. Of course, all these people have friends, experiences and are well travelled.

Is it too late? I just graduated with a bachelors this summer and I'm trying to figure out what to do for a career or for grad school, yet these people are years ahead of me. I have missed out on so much I want to cry. :(

I'm your age and I don't even have a bachelor's degree yet. I'm much farther behind you but you know what? There's no point comparing yourself with other people because you just can't. You're not all subjected to the same conditions and privileges. Heck, if I compared my life to most other people my age, I would feel devastated. Just try to do your thing at your own pace and make yourself feel good about it cos no one else can do that for you. You live this life for yourself, based on what you can do and what you want to do, not based on how others do it. So give yourself a little break, stop comparing and go your own way. Be happy with what you've achieved so far, which to me, seems a whole lot more than what I've achieved in my life, honestly.

Oh and is it too late? No, I don't think so. Keep going, pancakes. The more you focus on what other people are doing, the more time you're wasting. It's your life, not theirs or anyone else's and you got control over it.

It sounds like you have a lot of interesting and varied experiences ahead of you, pancakes. A good career, the chance to further your education, opportunities for travel and adventure, you have a lot to look forward to. :)

ladyforsaken said:
pancakes_online said:

I'm your age and I don't even have a bachelor's degree yet. I'm much farther behind you but you know what? There's no point comparing yourself with other people because you just can't. You're not all subjected to the same conditions and privileges. Heck, if I compared my life to most other people my age, I would feel devastated. Just try to do your thing at your own pace and make yourself feel good about it cos no one else can do that for you. You live this life for yourself, based on what you can do and what you want to do, not based on how others do it. So give yourself a little break, stop comparing and go your own way. Be happy with what you've achieved so far, which to me, seems a whole lot more than what I've achieved in my life, honestly.

Oh and is it too late? No, I don't think so. Keep going, pancakes. The more you focus on what other people are doing, the more time you're wasting. It's your life, not theirs or anyone else's and you got control over it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
All the best, Pancakes .

lifestream said:
It sounds like you have a lot of interesting and varied experiences ahead of you, pancakes. A good career, the chance to further your education, opportunities for travel and adventure, you have a lot to look forward to. :)

Totally agree :)

I'm going to echo what Lady F has said. As one of my professors once told me, 'Don't let anyone force or rush you, take your life at your own speed. Don't think about what anyone else is doing, put yourself first in what you want to achieve.' I write down comments and nuggets of advice and things people say that make me think or that resonate with me, and I did so with this. He told me this at a point when I was feeling very much like you are at the moment. I don't think he could ever realize how much I appreciated being told so at a time when I felt so trapped.
Pancakes, you've already finished your bachelor's degree. You're only 27, you're still young. And even if you weren't, life doesn't end when youth does. There is time to do all the things you want to do, see what you want to see, learn what you want to learn. Just make your own path and walk along it at a pace of your choosing.

I'm hoping it's not too late. I'm 35 and spent the last 10 years concentrating on being a parent but there are so many things I still want to do. I went back to University shortly after he was born as a mature student and graduated a couple of years ago. The way I see things is there is nothing you can do about what you didn't do in the past,you can't change that now,but concentrate on what you are wanting to do and how you are going to accomplish it.

pancakes_online said:

27 is nothing, people live longer now; fact. And unfortunately you work until you're older, but it's good in a way because you have more time to do what you want. Don't worry about what other people are doing, just concentrate on yourself.

I hate Facebook so much because it psychologically effects people like this, and I believe it contributes to depression, is a forever warped version of reality and society people get sucked into, and creates insecurities.

When you compare yourself to others, it is a false comparison. They are not you, with your background, personality, family, experiences, abilities etc. There will always be people who have done more/ achieved more/ have more than we have, and there will always be those with less.
In my eyes you have done well-you have just got a degree and you are only 27. You have so much time to decide where to go with your life.

You're young and the world is wide. Of course it's not too late. I finished my graduate degree at around your age, then moved to California. Then I changed careers at age 33 and took up learning the violin at 38. I can only wonder what awaits me around the next corner and that goes for you too. Figure out what you want to do now and try not to compare yourself to others. Keep in mind that online social media and websites are for bragging. People who live average, content lives (like me and there is absolutely nothing wrong with average) just don't go online to toot their own horns.

-Teresa

Nobody's perfect. :-/

I'm 27. I don't understand the interstate system.
I work as a warehouse manager in a wholesale distribution center.
It sounds fancier than what it is, really. It's a small, private company not opened to the general public. We require people to have accounts and whatnot.
Our entire staff is made up of less than 30 people. All in all, I manage about 6 guys.

Latest posts

Back