Can't stand people anymore.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jafo

Reaction score
I really really can't stand people anymore. I hate my job as it is in retail, so I have to deal with ******** every day. I don't want this life anymore. I would like to either quit my job and be a shut in or just die already. I can't find the courage to take my own life though, at least not while my mother is still alive. I don't want to put her through that. I just flat out hate people.

I could be wrong here but I get the feeling that your hatred of people and your unhappiness stem largely from the nature of your job. If so, maybe you should look for a different job straightaway. Retail is hard and very stressful for people who are not natural 'people people.' I can understand your suicidal feelings and it is loving and considerate of you to put your mother first. I hope that you will see your doctor-maybe s/he could offer you understanding and support and then you could check out possible training courses etc.

Those are two vastly different options you've given yourself there. Quit your job or die? I don't think the latter provides much room for personal growth and development, but yes, it's definitely a way to avoid people.
Sorry, all I mean is, you've identified what your problem is (dislike of your job due to aversion to interaction with people), perhaps it would be best to try to address that issue first without first concluding that you need to end your life because of it. As long as you're alive there will always be options available for you to change your circumstances. Once you give up, that will close all doors. Try to see what maybe available for you outside of retail, perhaps discuss it with those closest to you, including your mother. It's great that you're considering your mother, but there are issues here that you may need to take up with a professional, someone who can give you some clarity and perspective through the difficulty you seem to be facing. You need to put yourself first right now, because continuing how and where you are is clearly unhealthy for you.

Jafo said:
I really really can't stand people anymore. I hate my job as it is in retail, so I have to deal with ******** every day. I don't want this life anymore. I would like to either quit my job and be a shut in or just die already. I can't find the courage to take my own life though, at least not while my mother is still alive. I don't want to put her through that. I just flat out hate people.

Everybody in retail have to deal with challenging customers.
This woman last week called me a c***. You have to develop a thick skin, it didn't bother me at all. And also surely you have some nicer customers ? Think about them. Don't let these ******** ruin your life.

Jafo said:

Can you find a different line of work? Figure out what you're good at and go from there. Until then, learn to appreciate the nicer customers. Commiserate with fellow workers too. I've often felt better after complaining with one or two people. Misery loves company, right?

I don't really have any new suggestions for you Jafo. It would really be nice if other jobs were more available....then again, if you just hate people that itself kind of limits the choices for employment....not there are that many choices in today's economy anyway.

Maybe the way to go would be to consider what it means that you hate people....where's that coming from? I'm guessing there's a lot more going on with you than your job.

Not that I'm dismissing the effects of you being in the wrong job for yourself....the logistics of life affect the personal and vice-versa so you're probably not the hottest retail salesman in the store, eh?

You're in a tough space and I care enough to want to keep hearing how it's going for you.

Regardless of a job change I will still have to deal with people. And that is something I just don't want to do. If I was the last man on Earth I would be happy. Every person I have let into my life has betrayed me and turned their back on me. I trust no one and I feel there are no good people out there. I just want to be alone. I wouldn't even want a pet as I hate dogs too. Life sucks and so do people. And my advice to you young people is to never get into retail. If I could bash these customers in the face I would.

In the end, people are just animals. Best to avoid getting too attached to them.
Think of the customers - most of them want to get their honeysuckle and get out. A few will act like shits, but it's rare to deal with them on a long-term basis.
When I worked in retail (graveyard shift stocking peon) I hated my coworkers more than anything. It usually is the coworkers and horrible managers.
If you're in a position where social interaction is common place, you do realize that management or troublemaking coworkers will deliberately send customers to honeysuckle on you, in order to put you in your place? It's sick but society has agreed to make this standard operating procedure. It might sound bad to focus on things which you can't control, but you should know them rather than ignore the elephant in the room.
Then again I don't know the details, maybe you are in management and have to deal with disrespectful peons (and I know some managers put up with a lot of undeserved honeysuckle from their underlings, and sniping from their equals/superiors).

With the world being what it is, it's not like someone can just "get a different job" - especially now with the crunch for positions. This society (America, Canuckia, and the Eurozone all together) are in for some really harsh times. Something like over 30% of people are unemployed, underemployed, or living entirely on public assistance. It sounds like a rightist scare tactic and of course it's being used for that, but there was truth when Mittens brought up the 47% thing - a lot of people are poor and have to live with what scraps they can get.

Jafo - Dealing with people is a fact of life. And, I agree, people can be damned annoying. However, do you really want to go to work everyday with a knot in your stomach? I think you should consider getting out of retail. Find a job that is less involved with the public. Get into construction, dig ditches, get a degree as a lab tech and spend your days doing something like that. You know what doesn't work for you so why not step out and try to find something else? It can't hurt to explore.

People can be really cruel, yes. I've come across them myself but there are also good people around. You won't know who they are unless you stop hating on every single person. Maybe find a job that doesn't have to deal with people might help you feel better?

Jafo said:
Regardless of a job change I will still have to deal with people. And that is something I just don't want to do. If I was the last man on Earth I would be happy. Every person I have let into my life has betrayed me and turned their back on me. I trust no one and I feel there are no good people out there. I just want to be alone. I wouldn't even want a pet as I hate dogs too. Life sucks and so do people. And my advice to you young people is to never get into retail. If I could bash these customers in the face I would.

Clearly your experiences have effected how you feel towards people. I think of the saying 'Bad relationships change good people' when reading this. It seems unfortunate that you have to deal with the general people as part of your job, I imagine it's the hatred towards these people and the number of idiots in general (There are definitely "some") that makes you feel like you do. Believe me I get the whole dealing with people thing, but you really need a way to be more forgiving and to deal with these people because it's impossible to hide from everyone for the rest of our life.

Latest posts

Back