I just need to vent

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolelt

The Handler
Reaction score
I thought about putting this in the diary section, but really, I don't care if people comment.

I have been back at school teaching for 3 weeks now, and at this moment, I miss my old job and old students.

The kids at this school are ridiculously disrespectful. I cannot believe how they act. I had my shop class (where the kids to weld, woodwork, work on engines, etc.) take a true/false safety test. My rule was they had to take it before they could work on any projects with tools and score an 80% or higher. I thought that was more than fair. Several of them did not pass, so I have them do a study guide today, and geez oh Pete, I heard it all. One kid walked out of my class after the bell rang and yelled this class is bullshit real loud.

At this school, kids are not aloud to have their cell phones in class at all. When a kid has a phone out in class, you are suppose to take it and write up a referral. I have just been asking them to put it away and if they don't I take it til the end of class. A kid today had it out and was texting after I asked, so I took it, and he flipped honeysuckle at me.

I absolutely hate this, I like teenagers, and love working with them, but like what the hell!?!? I don't want to have to be a complete ***** to them, I didn't become a teacher for that.

I'm trying new strategies tomorrow. I rearrange the classroom, got new seating charts, made it so I can see more kids at once, and put up a "cell phone box" for kids, and if I see it, I'm writing them up.

I was doing better by 7th hour, but then I had a kid not doing his work. I asked him to do it, it was participation points, so not hard. He didn't have a pencil. So I gave him one of mine, helped some other students, and he still wouldn't do it. So I asked him to start his work again. And he told me "I'm not ******* doing it."

Like seriously, sometimes I feel like they just want me to give them referrals. This is driving me crazy. I just want to sleep this away, but I've been laying in bed for an hour now and can't go to sleep. I miss my old students that at least pretended to care, and the ones that were bumps on a log and didn't do anything were at least nice.

I wrote this from my phone, so sorry for any typos.

Gosh Nicole, this sounds like exactly how my the school was like for me when I taught. With physical fights happening right under my nose where I had to intervene. Which didn't really help because there was this boy who was gonna haul the chair at the other kid anyway and didn't care if it were to hit me or not.

People don't know how dangerous teaching can be. Not even going to mention whatever stuff that comes out on the news. Little behaviours or acts like these occur and just rile you up like crazy sometimes. This was how I developed my work anxiety. It was too much to face this sort of thing every day all day.

Nicolelt said:
I'm trying new strategies tomorrow. I rearrange the classroom, got new seating charts, made it so I can see more kids at once, and put up a "cell phone box" for kids, and if I see it, I'm writing them up.

The school I used to work in didn't allow for cellphones either. I think it's really up to your management to decide how far the consequences can go. There was a point of time when the management in my school said we could confiscate the phones and keep it to a period of time as a consequence, like 3 months and if they wanted it back, their parents are to come down to have a good long chat and understanding of things. Of course that means, some of the teachers had to put up with parental abuse, where they wrongfully defend their child. *shakes head*

Anyway, I think it's good you're trying out new strategies. In my experience, for these really "rebelling" kids, I had to really get past their wall one at a time. It's so time consuming and difficult and not always successful, but for the few kids where it actually works, makes a whole lot of difference. I know I had to get very personal with them for them to have me on their side of the court, otherwise, I am always the enemy. It's very tedious, but I liked it. It's nice to get to know them in person, beyond the tough front they put up.

I do note that it sucks that you had a former school that was better in comparison to this. I didn't, I just was thrown into a school of sharks right from the beginning so I knew no better but I always hear better stories and accounts from my teacher friends and it made me jealous. I can only say that.. I know you miss your old students and the old school, but I know that when I kept comparing what they had to what I had, it only depressed me even more. :\

Hang in there, though these aren't really helpful words, but I always feel like you're such a positive and cool teacher and that you're always determined to find resolutions to whatever problems you face. I wish you the best of luck in getting these kids on your side, with your upcoming strategies and that they'd enjoy your lessons. Hugs!

Do I have to bust out Gangsta's Paradise here?? :O

But seriously, I think you were a bit spoiled with your old school. It sounded like all the kids WANTED to be in your class, partly because they knew you and partly because they like the coursework. This new school, it doesn't sound like they want to be there, at least some of them, so they act out and make you suffer for them having to suffer through the class.

They could also be testing you, to see what they can get away with, to see if you will crumble. Do you know if the last teacher was well liked or not? If she/he was, they could resent you for taking their place.

But honestly, I think you just have to find your groove at this new school. Everything is different, the kids, the work, the classes (to an extent). You don't know them yet and they don't know you. Give it time, you'll find your stride and things will likely get better. Keep trying new things until you find what works.

What do you expect? This society is collapsing. Children in the system today can't deny it. If they're already slated for the lower order of society, they're either well aware their education is meaningless, or they should be informed as soon as possible.

I hear ya Nicole!

My school is full of rich, delinquent, disrespectful teenagers. Management doesn't take action against them because their parents are donating loads to the school, so the kids do what they please. They use foul language on the teachers, spread rumours about us, and make lewd, vulgar comments. Once a kid threw money at a teacher's face when she reprimanded him for his misbehaviour. He told her to shut up because his father paid her salary.

So I can really say, I feel your pain! :(

Good luck with the teaching techniques, but if for some reason they don't work, just hang in there ok? Once you build rapport with them, and they trust you, they'll listen and come around.

All the best! You're doing great! Don't forget how you never know whose life you're impacting by being a teacher :)

Kids can be so disrepectful.... I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Hopefully, as the year progresses things will start to even out.

Can you send the kids down for a princable visit for mis behaving, or save it all up for teacher/ parent confrences and then tell all!

Hope things settle down. (hug)

First, thanks for replies, it's nice to have people to talk to.

TheRealCallie said:
But honestly, I think you just have to find your groove at this new school. Everything is different, the kids, the work, the classes (to an extent). You don't know them yet and they don't know you. Give it time, you'll find your stride and things will likely get better. Keep trying new things until you find what works.

I think this too, I like this school, and I like the administration support, and I love that I make more money. I just have to get use to these kids.

there is no hope said:
What do you expect? This society is collapsing. Children in the system today can't deny it. If they're already slated for the lower order of society, they're either well aware their education is meaningless, or they should be informed as soon as possible.

I just disagree with this

Veruca said:
Good luck with the teaching techniques, but if for some reason they don't work, just hang in there ok? Once you build rapport with them, and they trust you, they'll listen and come around.

Thank you, so far today they are doing well. I have rapport with a few of my students, just need some more I think. It's awesome to have other teachers on the forum.

Danielle said:
Can you send the kids down for a princable visit for mis behaving, or save it all up for teacher/ parent confrences and then tell all!

I have sent kids down and called parents, hopefully it starts getting better soon.

ladyforsaken said:
Hang in there, though these aren't really helpful words, but I always feel like you're such a positive and cool teacher and that you're always determined to find resolutions to whatever problems you face. I wish you the best of luck in getting these kids on your side, with your upcoming strategies and that they'd enjoy your lessons. Hugs!

And as always, thanks LadyF! I think I may be more bull headed then some of my students.

Nicolelt said:
The kids at this school are ridiculously disrespectful. I cannot believe how they act. I had my shop class (where the kids to weld, woodwork, work on engines, etc.) take a true/false safety test. My rule was they had to take it before they could work on any projects with tools and score an 80% or higher. I thought that was more than fair. Several of them did not pass, so I have them do a study guide today, and geez oh Pete, I heard it all. One kid walked out of my class after the bell rang and yelled this class is bullshit real loud.

Hi Nicole. I am not a teacher, but I do remember when I took some similar classes and I think the teachers did require people to take a similar safety test with a minimum passing score before anyone was allowed to work with tools that could potentially cause serious injury. So I really don't think there was anything unreasonable about your requirements. Besides, guess who would be blamed if one of the kids actually did hurt themselves with one of the machines, especially if it was found out that they didn't pass the safety test, or that there was no safety test. You're looking out for their safety, as well as your own job. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Nicolelt said:
At this school, kids are not aloud to have their cell phones in class at all. When a kid has a phone out in class, you are suppose to take it and write up a referral. I have just been asking them to put it away and if they don't I take it til the end of class. A kid today had it out and was texting after I asked, so I took it, and he flipped honeysuckle at me.

Again, nothing wrong here. You were just following the directions, in fact, you were even trying to be nice by asking them to put it away instead of taking it and writing them up.

That kid should be glad you aren't like this math teacher back at my high school. This was just before cell phones became common. Instead, people liked to play games on their TI-83+ graphing calculators. Anyway, there was this one math teacher that supposedly, if he caught you playing calculator games in class, he would take it and smash it into a million pieces right there, then give the student a new, blank calculator. The funny thing was, I think he was actually at least somewhat well-liked too.

Nicolelt said:
I was doing better by 7th hour, but then I had a kid not doing his work. I asked him to do it, it was participation points, so not hard. He didn't have a pencil. So I gave him one of mine, helped some other students, and he still wouldn't do it. So I asked him to start his work again. And he told me "I'm not ******* doing it."

I'd write him up for that, give a detention, whatever. Something to show that you will not be talked to that way. School is supposed to prepare people for the real world - imagine this kid talking to his boss like that. You said that you don't want to be hard, but I think in the initial period, you have to make it clear that you won't suffer any disrespect. That might mean throwing the book at some people (metaphorically speaking! :p ). But I think you have to firmly establish that treating people that way in the classroom is unacceptable. Otherwise the kids will think they can get away with treating you badly, and it will only get more out of hand.

After things settle down a bit and they see that they can't get away with disrespecting you, I think you can warm up to them then, once they understand the concept of mutual respect. But unfortunately some people insist on doing things the hard way.

Nicolelt said:
I miss my old students that at least pretended to care, and the ones that were bumps on a log and didn't do anything were at least nice.

Yeah, I just don't get it myself. It sounds like you have a tough crowd. I thought people were disrespectful when I was a kid in school, but it sounds like it's only gotten worse. I remember only one occasion where a student told a teacher something along the lines of "this is bullshit", and the student was given a detention. It really bothers me how some of these kids think they can talk any way they want to teachers like people have mentioned in this thread. I just can't stand those overly rebellious people, who act that way just to be "cool". It's not that I think people should be mindlessly obedient either. But I don't think common decency and mutual respect is too much to ask for. When I was a kid, sure, I wasn't crazy about the idea of sitting around in school all day doing homework and taking tests. But rebellion just seemed pointless. If you don't do your homework, you'll just have to do it later, along with whatever other homework piles up so you will only make things worse for yourself. If you cut class or mouth off to a teacher, they just give you a detention and if you don't show up, it just keeps getting worse from there. I don't see how these rebels think they can win or what they think they'll get away with.

Besides, I just never felt a need to make things harder for the teachers. To me, they were always just people trying to get through the day like me. I got along fairly well with them and I didn't see any reason to throw that away. Bullying people or otherwise being "bad" or rebellious has never had any appeal for me. I don't understand why people can't just be nice, get through the day, and go home.

I only hope things get better for you, Nicole. Just hang in there :)

PS - this reminded me of one class I had, I think it was English. There was a kid in that class who sort of gave the teacher a hard time, but not really in a mean or nasty way, more like in a good-natured prankster way. One day, this student said he was going to dress up as our teacher for Halloween. And when Halloween came, not only did he dress up as and impersonate the teacher, but the teacher did the same thing in reverse! He dressed as the kid, sat in a desk and said all the kinds of things that he would say. I remember it was pretty funny.

Teachers are all terrible. Schools are terrible. Children are terrible. The whole education machine in this country needs to be torn down, and the root of the problem is higher education. Destroy the university system and invalidate everyone's higher education, and maybe it's possible to abolish the lower system too. Until that happens, there will inevitably be losers in the system, and the losers in the system can only grow and grow over time.

A society that automatically fails 80% of the population, and singles out 10% or so to be unfit even as slaves, is beyond repair.

Unlike a lot of people, I have very little left to lose. All I have is a false sense of comfort and nominal freedoms, and both of those are likely to disappear in the near future for me.

All. For. Eugenics.

there is no hope said:

I agree

stork_error said:
there is no hope said:

I agree

Everyone's entitled to share their opinions, but here's some insight.

I can understand how education seems meaningless in some first world countries; I've read about highly educated people being homeless and unable to secure employment.

But I live in a third world country and despite its crashing economy, education is very useful and beneficial. Without am education an underprivileged person is pretty much guaranteed to not have a job. With an education, one is at least able to feed oneself and live simply. Its better than having no opportunity at all.

And I personally know many people who only managed to become successful because they got scholarships to study and further themselves. I came from hunble beginnings myself, and the only reason I am living comfortably now is because I worked hard and got myself a couple of degrees. I wouldnt have a job otherwise. :(

Not to say that every poor person in third world countries makes it because of an education, but to many it is a window of opportunity when nothing else is available.

Just thought I'd share that (not trying to start a debate).

TheSkaFish said:
PS - this reminded me of one class I had, I think it was English. There was a kid in that class who sort of gave the teacher a hard time, but not really in a mean or nasty way, more like in a good-natured prankster way. One day, this student said he was going to dress up as our teacher for Halloween. And when Halloween came, not only did he dress up as and impersonate the teacher, but the teacher did the same thing in reverse! He dressed as the kid, sat in a desk and said all the kinds of things that he would say. I remember it was pretty funny.

See..stuff like that I love. I love goofy pranking kids, I just can't handle jerks.

there is no hope said:
Teachers are all terrible. Schools are terrible. Children are terrible. The whole education machine in this country needs to be torn down, and the root of the problem is higher education. Destroy the university system and invalidate everyone's higher education, and maybe it's possible to abolish the lower system too. Until that happens, there will inevitably be losers in the system, and the losers in the system can only grow and grow over time.

A society that automatically fails 80% of the population, and singles out 10% or so to be unfit even as slaves, is beyond repair.

Unlike a lot of people, I have very little left to lose. All I have is a false sense of comfort and nominal freedoms, and both of those are likely to disappear in the near future for me.

All. For. Eugenics.

But how do you train people to be doctors? car mechanics? even to cut people's hair? There has to be some sort of training programs for that. Which would be, an education system...

An also, this thread was meant for me to vent about my job, which several people do on this forum. If you want to have a debate about the eduction system, start your own thread, do not harp on my occupation.

there is no hope said:

All. For. Eugenics.

The people who mostly say stuff like that are people who can't benefit from having an education. Like my sister, she is just not smart enough and thinks she can just skip school and yell at teachers but people will want her.

Y'no, 50% of my country is poor, and 20% is too poor to make it through half of the month. Want some statistics? 99% of those 20% are people who didn't finish high school or got no higher education.

I really hope you don't tell your children they don't need to go to school or get an education. Please be smarter than that.

Edit: Also, as a future teacher. I had the most fun with my kids in the summer. Two of them told me how much fun they had learning French and that it was the best part of their vacation. Not all children are terrible, not all teachers are terrible. Be happy they're willing to work so hard.

there is no hope said:
Teachers are all terrible. Schools are terrible. Children are terrible. The whole education machine in this country needs to be torn down, and the root of the problem is higher education.

Yes I am not a fan of education lately. Whenever I say anything like that to a teacher they typically get all upset but it isn't an attack on them necessarily, it is just that there is a lot that isn't working. A lot of "higher" education is just a ponzi scheme scam. For instance, law. There are about 80 law schools in this country that will take your money like Harvard and will not get you a job. They are a disgrace and should be shut down but the ABA wants "jobs" so they won't. Scam!

On the subject though... last week I was on an interview panel for a job and some of the younger generation came in. My gosh... they were horrible. They were soooo entitled. They have all only worked at the organization for 5 years or less and they were so entitled to get the position.

Also, the cover letters and resumes... littered with spelling errors and grammar mistakes... and this wasn't a job for a cashier. This was an elite position.

One of my friends home schools her kids. I think this is going to be the wave of the future.

LonelySutton said:
there is no hope said:
Teachers are all terrible. Schools are terrible. Children are terrible. The whole education machine in this country needs to be torn down, and the root of the problem is higher education.

Whenever I say anything like that to a teacher they typically get all upset but it isn't an attack on them necessarily, it is just that there is a lot that isn't working.

Because it sounds like all teachers are horrible, which of course, isn't true.

Nicolelt said:
An also, this thread was meant for me to vent about my job, which several people do on this forum. If you want to have a debate about the eduction system, start your own thread, do not harp on my occupation.

+1

I will just repeat: A system which is essentially fails 80% of the population and reduces about 10% to a status lower than slaves is a terrible way to spend the resources put into education. "Good" teachers in such a system are required to become horrible, no matter their intentions. The "good" teachers made a point to make me a target for public humiliations.

The heart of the problem is that the people who win in such a system have that very intention, and it isn't something that can be reasoned with. What is surprising is how many people who are obviously losing are more interested in protecting their limited status.

From what I know of the system today, it is even worse than it was 20-25 years ago, at the height of its brutalization of my life. All because I was screened at age 3 and the system never lets go of that. All for eugenics.

Anyway, if you don't want to criticize the nightmare that is education in this country, you shouldn't be surprised when children who are forced under pain of incarceration to attend don't want to be there, especially when the only message they receive is that they have to sacrifice themselves to a society that doesn't want them. It's even worse for any of the lowest that are screened out, who are put up for public humiliation, attacked with impunity, and so on. For me, that is the entirety of school - any learning I ever did was on my own time, and everything good I ever did counted for nothing. It was all for nothing. The most I got was a few textbooks, and I was left to my own devices. It didn't matter how hard I tried, in fact the harder I tried the more I'd be laughed at.

It would have been better for everyone if I had just quit as soon as secondary school messed up my life, which was quite obviously the intent. Had I left though, some other child would have been slotted as a human sacrifice; such is the nature of the educational beast.

A practical education system wouldn't be so focused on credentialing for occupations. Medical employees don't need to go through the ridiculous screening process that is education, that is one reason why medical care in the First World is in such a sorry state, let alone the rest of the world. This, of course, is by design - adequate medical care would go against the principles of eugenics. This is why it's a pain in the ass for the poorest of the poor to find simple antibiotics, and the highest priority of health care budgets (even if the wacky US of A) is infanticide clinics.

Ugh doesn't sound fun Nicole.

I think when you work with children it's incredibly difficult to find that right balance. Once you have it you'll be off and away. Sounds like you were great at your old school so you know it's not you that's the problem. Stick with it, you'll soon learn to read them which will make it easier for you and hopefully they will get to know you and will figure out what you will and won't tolerate. Then hopefully they will start to show you some respect.

On another note look past all the loud, obnoxious students for a minute. Those ones that stand swearing at you and throwing things. The ones that make you come home and lose sleep worrying about how to handle them. Look past them. Look to the back where there may be a child sitting quietly who gets lost and overshadowed by the majority of the disrespectful students. There will nearly always be one student who wants to learn, who wants your help. A student you can make a difference to. Look for this student, there may even be more than one. Then when it all gets a bit much with the majority you can focus on the difference you are making for them. Because it will be there. You may not even realise it for a while. It only takes one teacher to make a massive change to one child. And that makes all the rest worthwhile.

Try not to stress yourself out worrying about it all. Give yourself some time to settle in. And continue to vent here, we will listen!

Latest posts

Back