Dealing with depression when you life falls apart.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuke1967

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with major depression last year and on medication for it, just before that happened my financial situation crashed and I had to declare bankruptcy,I got laid off my job of 8 years and then I totaled my car in an accident.

Top it off I got fired from a job I got 4 months ago, the supervisor turned manager never liked me and I think my depression and the stress of the job just caused me to just not do it to the best of my abilities, now and I am really depressed and not sure what I am going to do in my life, has anyone dealt with anything similar? If so how did you cope?

I am sorry that happened to you - do you mean cope with the financial issues or with depression? Are you going to get benefits/be safe financially?

I don't know if this can cheer you up, I can tell you my year 2014:

Jan 1 - feb 23 I was at home with pneumonia, there I discovered that I had no friends 'cause I received zero visits or phone calls in those 50+ days alone, then I was completely depressed but I kept going, had a falling out with my only close relative that turned out estrangement, started a new job in April that in a matter of months turned out to be a scam and I got mobbed to quit until November, in July I fell from my scooter and after 3 months of pain I was diagnosed with 3 slipped disks in my neck, around August I was completely depressed and I joined a music school to cheer myself up, finally that was a scam too and I experienced racism when everyone was avoiding me because I didn't speak their language perfectly (!) and was scammed of 1300$ and threatened of legal action because I quit, I joined a driving school and got scammed of $400 (in all this period, I was completely alone and isolated, except for some unsavoury new half-friendships ended very badly), a second driving school scammed me of $200, I invested in a knitting machine and it was broken, in November my landlord sent some thugs to threaten to hurt me if I didn't leave the house (he had no legal rights), all this time I was looking for another apartment and couldn't find it, received more threats from his lawyer on Christmas day and my mother had a fit, then finally NYE arrived and I was really happy that the year was over, and, oops, I got a second beginning of pneumonia. Did I mention that I live with a disability and half of the time I can hardly walk? You can imagine the level of depression.
There are periods like that, you just take a day at the time and pray that it will stop. Also, it might make sense to look for a healer to take the evil eye away, I know I am :p

I think you just have to move on. There is another job out there. Jobs come and go. I have learned to take each day simply as it comes and live for today. Yesterday is gone. Don't make it a focus of your life. Live for today and your future. And, try to get up and do things that make your life better. Clean the house. Exercise. Cook some good food instead of eating junk food. Do things that take care of YOU. And, as you really care for yourself, it becomes easier to care for the world around you and be more engaged. You can move ahead.

Yeah dealt with something similar, job wise with a boss who was a bully and being out of a job with no income, and some other stuff.

Being here helped, making friends and talking with them about it, knowing you're not alone out there, and trying remind yourself that things will get better eventually, some day, if you let it.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, yeah trying to move on, I always had depression, and I had bumps in the road before, but this last year has been the worst, you seem to wonder if life is pissed at me or something with so much happening at one time, and that really caused my depression to hit an all time high.

I believe also when your hitting 50 and nothing really to show for your life, parents gone and not really close with siblings that are left, really nobody to turn to.

Peaches said:
I am sorry that happened to you - do you mean cope with the financial issues or with depression? Are you going to get benefits/be safe financially?

I don't know if this can cheer you up, I can tell you my year 2014:

Jan 1 - feb 23 I was at home with pneumonia, there I discovered that I had no friends 'cause I received zero visits or phone calls in those 50+ days alone, then I was completely depressed but I kept going, had a falling out with my only close relative that turned out estrangement, started a new job in April that in a matter of months turned out to be a scam and I got mobbed to quit until November, in July I fell from my scooter and after 3 months of pain I was diagnosed with 3 slipped disks in my neck, around August I was completely depressed and I joined a music school to cheer myself up, finally that was a scam too and I experienced racism when everyone was avoiding me because I didn't speak their language perfectly (!) and was scammed of 1300$ and threatened of legal action because I quit, I joined a driving school and got scammed of $400 (in all this period, I was completely alone and isolated, except for some unsavoury new half-friendships ended very badly), a second driving school scammed me of $200, I invested in a knitting machine and it was broken, in November my landlord sent some thugs to threaten to hurt me if I didn't leave the house (he had no legal rights), all this time I was looking for another apartment and couldn't find it, received more threats from his lawyer on Christmas day and my mother had a fit, then finally NYE arrived and I was really happy that the year was over, and, oops, I got a second beginning of pneumonia. Did I mention that I live with a disability and half of the time I can hardly walk? You can imagine the level of depression.
There are periods like that, you just take a day at the time and pray that it will stop. Also, it might make sense to look for a healer to take the evil eye away, I know I am :p

Sorry you went thought all that peaches, seems like 2014 was a bad year all around, being scammed is never a good feeling, I hope things go better for you as well soon.

Sci-Fi said:
Yeah dealt with something similar, job wise with a boss who was a bully and being out of a job with no income, and some other stuff.

Being here helped, making friends and talking with them about it, knowing you're not alone out there, and trying remind yourself that things will get better eventually, some day, if you let it.

Yeah not having an income is the scary part, my one job I was there for 8 years and worked my way up to a client services position, loved my job, got along great with my coworkers, I was planning on retiring from there. Then boom layoff, it was a major hit to me, I still haven't really gotten over it.

delledonne11 said:
I think you just have to move on. There is another job out there. Jobs come and go. I have learned to take each day simply as it comes and live for today. Yesterday is gone. Don't make it a focus of your life. Live for today and your future. And, try to get up and do things that make your life better. Clean the house. Exercise. Cook some good food instead of eating junk food. Do things that take care of YOU. And, as you really care for yourself, it becomes easier to care for the world around you and be more engaged. You can move ahead.

Moving on is the only thing you can do really, thanks for the replay Delle.

I've been depressed periodically for a few months at a time but I overcame it.

Whether you will overcome yours or not is up to how bad you want to overcome depression.

If your will power over powers your depression, you can suppress it.

Your meds are only there to help. It's also up to your will power and desire to live a normal life again.

About 30 years ago I experienced a cluster of misfortunes....personal relationship failure; job loss due to shop closure; burglarized of the few items of value in my apartment; rental agreement canceled because the landlord blamed me for the break-in (....*******! Security was his responsibility!...); scammed of rent & security deposit on a new apartment because I was a naive child/man.

I ended up on the street, living out of my car and sleeping in any discreet hiding place I could find for a night or two. I took showers at the university phys-ed facility, hung around the campus and in 24 hr laundromats to stay dry and warm. I started drinking pretty regularly and made friends with winos and other derelict types. Eventually I started eating out of the dumpster behind a sandwich shop and scavenging leftovers from the trash bins at public parks where people had picnics.

I sank pretty low.

I got back to a more normal life when some acquaintances from college who were living kind of communally saw me eating a hot dog out of a park rubbish bin and induced me to come home with them. I started crying in the back seat. It was a humiliating experience.

But it didn't kill me and I'm stronger for it, also I learned a multitude of survival skills for life on the street.

Between July of last year and July of this year, my life went through.. a series of unfortunate events. I haven't really talked about all of it to any one person, but there are people I've told one thing or the other. I've found that it makes the biggest difference when you have someone to depend on and fall back on; a support system. In my case, it's my family. I'm still not completely up on my feet, but I am happier at the moment that I have been in a very long time. Not quite sure why, but I am taking it for what it is and I'm not going to question it. Who knows when the next ditch, the next obstacle will come across my path?
Take it one day at a time and don't be too proud to let others help you when you need it. There will be an after, something better than the present.

Life throws things at us and it can be hard to deal with them.

Just try to keep calm and try to find another job. I wish you good luck with that.

Latest posts

Back