Trying to figure out why no one cares about me

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hauntyoueveryday

Reaction score
Let me try to make this as short as possible.

I've been in California since February 2014. I have been in L.A since February 2014. Outside of roommates I've found it near impossible to make friends. L.A can be such a lonely town.

I moved here to progress my film career. After writing, directing, and starring in three short films it really hit home how family is really not this family thing. I kinda knew this from my experience before. But it really hit home here.

As for dating I've been on some dates here and there, I've had a few one night stands. But nothing consistent. And the women that I really want to date always flake out on me. A few times it's left me into a big spiral of depression.

No one wished me happy birthday on facebook. The only people that wished me happy birthday were a few family members and old friends. It sucked.

I was unemployed for a while. But I finally got a job again. But I just don't get why no one cares about me. I am good to my friends and I can be a pretty fun guy.

I made a post about going into production on my directorial feature film debut. No one liked it or retweeted it.

It just makes life harder and harder to live. I don't know what to do. I can't afford any hobbies at the moment, I go out on weekends to bars. But that scene is rather hit or miss, and usually you won't find love there

Happy birthday!!!!

If I had to say anything here, it would be to attempt to not put so much stock in what other people say or do. You are your own person, be that person, own your successes and your struggles. People can and probably do care about you. Keep meeting new people, join some meetup groups or clubs or volunteer or something along those lines. You can do it, as long as you don't give up.

It sounds like you need to expand your circle. Can you skip the bars and maybe get involved in some other things? Like join a theater group or some other club instead? I think that when you find like minded people who are passionate about the same things, you will make some new good friends.

I don't really care what others do or say. I do after a while get tired of being alone day after day, hour after hour. I eat alone, I go out alone, I do everything alone. It gets old after a while. I am tired of this lonely life. That just takes so much out of you.

I have tried meetup.com. But I have not be impressed at all. I really don't know what to do. I am trying to get apart of this theatre company. But they have to accept me first (they denied me earlier in the year).

Is it at all possible that a lot of the people you have met recently are extremely superficial and so occupied with themselves that they won't take the time out their life to write "happy birthday" on someone's wall?
I ask you because for a while I hung out with the film crowd, and I never saw egoes that size before or after, and I am pretty sure Hollywood/LA must have this multiplied by 4000%, in that case it might be them, not you (and you don't want people who care about you only because you are successful/rich/popular etc, yuck to that).

I know very well how it is when you have to find your way to do the things that you love, and I will never suggest to ask yourself if this sacrifice is worthwhile, but you should find a more sustainable way of living before you burn out on the whole LA thing. I really hope that they take you in that company, maybe you will find some good friends there. Hang in there... you are fighting to have a better life, the life that you want, you will find others who struggle in the same way. Do you only meet "entertainment people" or do you have time do hang out with anyone else? What about other struggling directors/writers? That's how Matt Demon and Ben Affleck met ;) Sending you all my virtual support.

That is a good point. I have come to realize that film is not really a brotherhood or family. Too much ego and too many power games.

I remember this one actress who I kinda fell for that worked on a short film that I wrote, directed and starred in. Nice girl. But when I look back she was super self absorbed. I remember one email that I sent everyone with a script update and she replied "any changes to my character?" One the first day of shooting she flaked stating that went to a party the night before and was "slipped something". Yet my heart sinks when I see a facebook post from her. Go figure.

I am hoping that once my short gets into some festivals that I can meet some people there. The comedy world seems more inclusive. But I am not in that world.

An old roommate of mine was a director. But he wasn't exactly a good friend. He was supposed to finishing editing a stop motion short that I did last year and said he would when he went back to his home state for the summer. We were supposed to do another short film together too. But he said nothing for three months. He texted me randomly the other day. But I wasn't into it. Kinda a spoiled kid (his parents paid fully for his rent and gave him an allowance which he spent on weed and alcohol) and would always cancel on plans.

I don't know where to even look. Getting woman is actually probably easier than getting friends at this point.

Latest posts

Back