Is it due to loneliness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_also_lonely

Reaction score
Right now it is midnight and everyone is sleeping but me. And what's not letting me sleep is probably the flood of thoughts that is flowing through my wierd mind.
Thoughts of the past, a bad childhood, failures, need of love, unfair things happened with me,things I regret, things I wish I had too, etc.
What worse is, are those scary thoughts. Like, me, pushing someone out of a ship in the midnight in the middle of an ocean. And that person screamimg for help and me, well, staring and doing nothing else.
Why does this happen? Is it because I dont have anyone close to talk to? Or is it that people like me deserve this? Is there a cure?

Could very well be, having someone close to talk to can really take a lot of weight off and help you look at things from a different perspective. It's really hard to find that person though, someone who will fit right with the kind of support you need. Sometimes though you can only rely on yourself and when those thoughts creep it they can be really hard to shake. Personally I try to talk myself out of those kind of thoughts and distract my brain with something else.

It probably is loneliness which is making you think these sort of thoughts. I get them as well and think it is because I am too alone. In the day it can be bad enough to deal with these thoughts but at night it is even harder as there is nothing to distract your mind. Could you get up and make yourself a hot drink? Sometimes this helps send me to sleep.

When those thoughts creep in during the night and they keep you awake, try some meditation. You can do an active one, at least mentally active, while you lay there in bed, and hopefully help you fall asleep.

Think of 5 things you see around you and recite them in your head, think of 5 things you hear, think of 5 things you feel. Move to 4 things, then 3.... keep making your mind go back to the exersice when it starts to wander.

I think someone made a post about this type of meditiation... its helpful, its hard to stay on task, but the more you practice, the eaiser it becomes!

I wish you luck.

Danielle said:
When those thoughts creep in during the night and they keep you awake, try some meditation. You can do an active one, at least mentally active, while you lay there in bed, and hopefully help you fall asleep.

Think of 5 things you see around you and recite them in your head, think of 5 things you hear, think of 5 things you feel. Move to 4 things, then 3.... keep making your mind go back to the exersice when it starts to wander.

I think someone made a post about this type of meditiation... its helpful, its hard to stay on task, but the more you practice, the eaiser it becomes!

I wish you luck.

Is it a cure to loneliness? I will surely try meditation, but that time I am so much panicked that I cant think of anything.

Tiina63 said:
It probably is loneliness which is making you think these sort of thoughts. I get them as well and think it is because I am too alone. In the day it can be bad enough to deal with these thoughts but at night it is even harder as there is nothing to distract your mind. Could you get up and make yourself a hot drink? Sometimes this helps send me to sleep.

Thank you, but if the problem is due to loneliness, a hot drink wont change the fact that I dont have someone to talk to.

Everyone is more likely to over-think at night. Psychologically you do this because you feel safe in your environment. But maybe this thought of the ocean thing is an example of something you fear or worry about... not that THAT will ever happen, but for example maybe it's someone who's in such a vulnerable position, and you being in one that can make a difference, but being too afraid of the particular situation and having to watch the consequence.

M_also_lonely said:
Danielle said:

I wish you luck.

Is it a cure to loneliness? I will surely try meditation, but that time I am so much panicked that I cant think of anything.

Tiina63 said:

Thank you, but if the problem is due to loneliness, a hot drink wont change the fact that I dont have someone to talk to.

Nope, not a cure for loneliness, just a technique to keep your mind in the present

I used to be like that in my 20's. Could never sleep, felt my life was utter honeysuckle, so unhappy.
A few things happened to change how I felt.

Lost my virginity - What a confidence boost that was ! Proved I was capable.
Got a job - And this is the key, a job I didn't mind. Everybody has bad days at work but you've got to not mind your job and the people you work with.
And with a job comes money to spend on stuff.
And then hobbies develop because you have the money and the free time on your days off from work.
And then the things that bothered me didn't anymore (or not as much) - girlfriends, friends, going out etc.
And then I become more happier and content.

Triple Bogey said:
I used to be like that in my 20's. Could never sleep, felt my life was utter honeysuckle, so unhappy.

Got a job - And this is the key, a job I didn't mind. Everybody has bad days at work but you've got to not mind your job and the people you work with.
And then hobbies develop because you have the money and the free time on your days off from work.
And then the things that bothered me didn't anymore (or not as much) - girlfriends, friends, going out etc.

All out of my league...

OP, these feelings come because you are not satisfied with your current life.

The question is, are you going to accept your feelings of discontent or are you going to do something about it and change your future?

M_also_lonely said:
Triple Bogey said:

All out of my league...

Why do you say that? I understand how you feel, but surely it's not an impossibility for you to accomplish at least some of those goals. Or whatever it is you want to achieve.

Stonely said:
OP, these feelings come because you are not satisfied with your current life.

The question is, are you going to accept your feelings of discontent or are you going to do something about it and change your future?

I dont know what to do.

Latest posts

Back