Time to give up trying to get a girlfriend?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niceguysfinishlast

Reaction score
I think i was always meant to be alone without a girlfriend.

It's one thing to get rejected every now and then or find out she's taken or she lives in another country, that's just predictable now, but it's a whole different ballgame when a gal pretends like she likes you yet she never wants to hang out. This just happened to me and the worst part is, she liked some of the same things i did and for no reason at all, she hadn't talked to me in a month despite talking regularly before that. She and i had been friends for some time before that.

I'm done trying to get a girlfriend.

It might not be a bad idea to take a step back and try to find satisfaction and happiness in other things. I used to obsess over getting a girlfriend but I took a step back and began working on myself and my interests and this is the happiest I ever felt..when you are at your happiest is when you will meet the right girl :)

niceguysfinishlast said:

It's one thing to get rejected every now and then or find out she's taken or she lives in another country, that's just predictable now, but it's a whole different ballgame when a gal pretends like she likes you yet she never wants to hang out. This just happened to me and the worst part is, she liked some of the same things i did and for no reason at all, she hadn't talked to me in a month despite talking regularly before that. She and i had been friends for some time before that.

That honeysuckle happens all the time. You are on a girls radar and then you disappear off it and you suddenly don't exist anymore.

I wouldn't give in so easily especially if you are young. Plenty more fish in the sea is what they say. When you think about it, it's not the worst thing that can happen is it ?

Just try and chat with loads of different girls and you might meet somebody really nice.

Destaric said:
It might not be a bad idea to take a step back and try to find satisfaction and happiness in other things. I used to obsess over getting a girlfriend but I took a step back and began working on myself and my interests and this is the happiest I ever felt..when you are at your happiest is when you will meet the right girl :)

That's good advice if he is in his 30's or 40's.
If you get to that age and you haven't met anybody or had any success whatsoever, it is best to quit. Life is too short to be miserable.

[/quote]

If you get to that age and you haven't met anybody or had any success whatsoever, it is best to quit. Life is too short to be miserable.
[/quote]

That's fine for some. From personal experience I wasted much of my teenage and 20s depressed about women and it held me back from enjoying life to the fullest. I would not recommend quitting entirely but instead taking a break..one would be surprised what one can accomplish when it does not involve just chasing women. :)

Taking a step back, if you're frustrated, is a good idea. Focus on yourself and your interests and grow as a person and become who you want to be. But, I don't feel anyone should give up on something they want. You can only fail you stop trying, before that point, it's not failing, it's just....practice.

Triple Bogey said:
niceguysfinishlast said:

That honeysuckle happens all the time. You are on a girls radar and then you disappear off it and you suddenly don't exist anymore.

I wouldn't give in so easily especially if you are young. Plenty more fish in the sea is what they say. When you think about it, it's not the worst thing that can happen is it ?

Just try and chat with loads of different girls and you might meet somebody really nice.

Destaric said:

I'm 21 and only had one girlfriend.... when i was 13. There are only so many times i can rejected before giving up. That compounded with having virtually no social life (and no car) really makes things difficult.

Sometimes you win, and sometimes you learn. Don't let the bad experiences bring you down. You're still so young too, you have lots of time to find a girl. Don't give up yet :)

How much is young? I'm about to be 28. I don't want to think in deadlines, but 35 seems to be the age I'll give up.

niceguysfinishlast said:

That's garbage. I don't know you, I don't know anything about you but to be resigned to being alone is nonsense.

Yes I realize it is easy for me to say it but if you really think about it you know I am right.

niceguysfinishlast said:

Who knows why she did this? And I know it is easy for me to be detached here because it didn't happen to me and the thing is I would take it personal too. And we'd both be wrong.

niceguysfinishlast said:

If you do this it will be one of the worst decisions you will ever make.

Xpendable said:
How much is young? I'm about to be 28. I don't want to think in deadlines, but 35 seems to be the age I'll give up.

Where is this written? Go out and find me an article that says "Turn back!! Give up when you are 35!!!"

BeyondShy said:
If you do this it will be one of the worst decisions you will ever make.

It may be not even a decision, since he can't control that.

BeyondShy said:
Where is this written? Go out and find me an article that says "Turn back!! Give up when you are 35!!!"

I can write it; it's my life. Seeing the big chance I'll reach the middle of my life span without romantic intimacy or even physical contact, It seems like a logical date. My youth will start to fade, as well as my sex drive. It will be harder to stay in shape and my dating pool is going to shrink even more, since most women on my age will be married or with children. 35 is too late to experience the loss of innocence and sexual awakening, but not too late to trying to be happy with something else. Luckily enough, I'll have financial independence to at least pursuit projects that give me passion. It's my best option.

niceguysfinishlast said:

This just happened to me and the worst part is, she liked some of the same things i did and for no reason at all, she hadn't talked to me in a month despite talking regularly before that. She and i had been friends for some time before that.

You weren't meant to be alone. If you want a girlfriend you have to figure it out. A lot of people seem to have this figured out by high school, but you can catch up.

I have stopped talking to people I was interested in for more than a month, and not out of disinterest either. She could have had any reason for doing this, including being too busy with things. It happens. Calling her out on this will only push her further away. I haven't experienced a lot but that much I can confirm.

I have a bit of a different belief on this than most people seem to. I don't think it's fate. Frankly I think that's bullshit.

I know better than anyone that it's frustrating to see other people just luck into relationships and ESPECIALLY to see guys who are no smarter, no "cooler", no more talented, no more interesting, no more ambitious, no more successful, no better than you at all and sometimes a LOT worse, just luck into a girlfriend at an early age. It makes me mad as hell.

But I think that when things don't go well, it's because you're doing something wrong somehow. You're carrying yourself in an unattractive way, living in an unattractive lifestyle, having unattractive personality traits or mannerisms both to the specific girl in question, and likely to women in general. I'm still trying to figure this out but I must say I have learned a lot more that used to go over my head in past years.

For instance complaining a lot. That's a big one to avoid.

I think that if you can have a rapport with a girl, if you get along with her well - then you can theoretically date her, if you make the impression that you have the right stuff. If you can have a friend, you can have a girlfriend. I think it's knowing how to play the game. How to play your cards. You can have a lot going for you and play your cards badly, and you can also have not much going for you and play your cards well.

Someone I knew on another forum told me this, on the subject of girls:

"There’s that stuff inside you that always has been, and always will be, attractive to the ladies. That’s really all you need to attract them.
The problem these days is that most people cover this awesome inner self up with a bunch of honeysuckle, blocking it from the surface.

And what happens when you have a mentality like that? You lose your confidence, you lose your motivation, you lose your vibe, you lose your appreciation of romance. This results in social anxiety, overthinking, introversion, etc. because the mind keeps reinforcing its habits.
The only way to change that is to take action. The progress is fast, really, because you’re not learning new skills… just going back to the way things were."

I'm still trying to figure out what it means, and I admit, my track record is, shall we say, not the best. However, I know enough to know the gist of this message is that it's not impossible. Don't give up. When you give up you let the bastards win.

TheRealCallie said:
But, I don't feel anyone should give up on something they want.

For once, I agree with you.

Xpendable said:

There is no age limit on this.

BeyondShy said:
I don't know anything about you but to be resigned to being alone is nonsense.

You're right about that.

niceguysfinishlast said:
Triple Bogey said:
niceguysfinishlast said:

Destaric said:

I'm 21 and only had one girlfriend.... when i was 13. There are only so many times i can rejected before giving up. That compounded with having virtually no social life (and no car) really makes things difficult.

Do what you feel is right.

Don't give up. That would be a huge mistake that I'm sure you would regret later in your life.

But ideally you want to reach a point where you're totally happy being single.

matt4 said:
There are so many benefits to not having one as well. Try to work on making yourself happy single first!

I cant stress this enough. As my therapist said all these people you see in realationships and seem so happy its often an illusion and there is usually problems that happen behind closed doors..we never know the full story. That's not saying realationships are a horrible experience as under the right conditions they can enhance your happiness but the truth is one must be happy to have a happy realationship...otherwise your just wasting your time. Working on your hobbies and interests will help you get there.

TheSkaFish said:
You weren't meant to be alone. If you want a girlfriend you have to figure it out. A lot of people seem to have this figured out by high school, but you can catch up.

I know you didn't meant it but that sounded really condescending.

Like: You haven't learned how to tight your shoe laces at 21, but can cath up.

TheSkaFish said:
I have stopped talking to people I was interested in for more than a month, and not out of disinterest either. She could have had any reason for doing this, including being too busy with things. It happens. Calling her out on this will only push her further away. I haven't experienced a lot but that much I can confirm.

Some say you have to put actions into getting someone, others say you shouldn't be thinking about it and it will happen. Honestly, there isn't a "formula" or right path. It's al random and meaningless. Sometimes there's people who can't "click" attraction to the opposite sex. They may look normal or behave normal but there's something that makes them unappealing. Is like they fall through the cracks for any reason whatsoever. I'm not talking about socially awkward or mentally ill people, just your every day guy or girl.

TheSkaFish said:
I have a bit of a different belief on this than most people seem to. I don't think it's fate. Frankly I think that's bullshit.

Yes.

TheSkaFish said:
I know better than anyone that it's frustrating to see other people just luck into relationships and ESPECIALLY to see guys who are no smarter, no "cooler", no more talented, no more interesting, no more ambitious, no more successful, no better than you at all and sometimes a LOT worse, just luck into a girlfriend at an early age. It makes me mad as hell.

But I think that when things don't go well, it's because you're doing something wrong somehow.

I don't get this. You recognize this "no so great" people get into relationships, but you assume is your fault that you can't?
Like you're not being mediocre enough to be accepted?
Just because you don't fit into some specific mainframe doesn't mean that you're doing something "wrong", or that there's something wrong with you.

TheSkaFish said:
You're carrying yourself in an unattractive way, living in an unattractive lifestyle, having unattractive personality traits or mannerisms both to the specific girl in question, and likely to women in general.

There's no way to be decipher this. You say it yourself, all this mediocre guys and girls getting someone. Aren't they carrying themselves as attractive by being "no smarter, no "cooler", no more talented, no more interesting, no more ambitious, no more successful, no better than you at all... etc?
They just happen to be "the norm". They're the majority and they settle the expectations for the general public.

TheSkaFish said:
For instance complaining a lot. That's a big one to avoid.

Even when is fair? As long as is not confused with protesting. An even so, I don't understand why complaining should be seen as unattractive. That sounds alot like those "man up" advices that just further stereotypes of masculinity.

TheSkaFish said:
I think that if you can have a rapport with a girl, if you get along with her well - then you can theoretically date her, if you make the impression that you have the right stuff. If you can have a friend, you can have a girlfriend. I think it's knowing how to play the game. How to play your cards. You can have a lot going for you and play your cards badly, and you can also have not much going for you and play your cards well.

Again, there's no formula. The problem is when there's people that born with the right hand of cards and then, there's the people who are not allowed to play at all.

TheSkaFish said:
Someone I knew on another forum told me this, on the subject of girls:

"There’s that stuff inside you that always has been, and always will be, attractive to the ladies.

Unsupported claim.

TheSkaFish said:
That’s really all you need to attract them.

Doesn't even describe what's the "stuff" in the first place to know if that's all you need.

TheSkaFish said:
The problem these days is that most people cover this awesome inner self up with a bunch of honeysuckle, blocking it from the surface.

Not deep, not deep at all. Not everyone is "awesome". If everyone was awesome forums like this wouldn't even exists. There's no pandora's box of personality traits hiding in some proverbial cave. People show what they are. It's really rare to have someone who holds his good traits by some trauma. Awesomeness is cultivated and harvested with time and effort, but is not locked in every person by default.

TheSkaFish said:
And what happens when you have a mentality like that? You lose your confidence, you lose your motivation, you lose your vibe, you lose your appreciation of romance.

I have all that.

TheSkaFish said:
This results in social anxiety, overthinking, introversion, etc. because the mind keeps reinforcing its habits.

Those come up on early human development and have genetic influences.

TheSkaFish said:
The only way to change that is to take action. The progress is fast, really, because you’re not learning new skills… just going back to the way things were."

You can take action to change, but most of the time "that" wasn't there.

TheSkaFish said:
I'm still trying to figure out what it means, and I admit, my track record is, shall we say, not the best. However, I know enough to know the gist of this message is that it's not impossible. Don't give up. When you give up you let the bastards win.

Who are the bastards?

TheSkaFish said:
TheRealCallie said:
But, I don't feel anyone should give up on something they want.

For once, I agree with you.

It's not so much giving up, but to be open the possibility that isn't going to happen. Doesn't matter if you want it or not.

TheSkaFish said:
Xpendable said:

There is no age limit on this.

There's death.
BeyondShy said:
I don't know anything about you but to be resigned to being alone is nonsense.

You're right about that.

I don't know anything about OP either, so I won't pretend I can just dismiss his experience and understand his decision better than him.

Destaric said:
I cant stress this enough. As my therapist said all these people you see in realationships and seem so happy its often an illusion and there is usually problems that happen behind closed doors..we never know the full story. That's not saying realationships are a horrible experience as under the right conditions they can enhance your happiness but the truth is one must be happy to have a happy realationship...otherwise your just wasting your time. Working on your hobbies and interests will help you get there.

I gave up on finding a boyfriend / husband around 38. I mean it is not that I wouldn't be open to the right guy but I just accepted *my* personal truth, that it wasn't gonna happen for me. I mean sure, I could have married SOMEONE... but would that have enhanced my life? My gut just old me no, and I stopped fighting it. I am probably not going to find someone right for me... and that's ok.

Just yesterday one of my girl friends who "settled" and put her belief that she had to have someone and, that that person she found was going to work out like this is cinderella, no matter imho the obvious signs, was in my office telling me of her shocking life and making me secretly so glad I chose to hold my ground and do what I thought was right for me no matter WHAT other people said or did.

This friend chose to marry a guy who had already been married and had two kids, that is a bit of a red flag because it begs the question why didn't it work out before. He was also not a catch. I just really get angry with guys who seem to feel that they don't have to even try but are entitled to girls who are well put together. His job was singing in church song group and I felt like that wasn't a grown up job for a grown up -- yet he had children so he obviously cared more about himself than supporting them. Finally she got pregnant almost immediately even though she was older. I thought that again showed a selfishness (as to her health and their financial position) and probably wasn't her idea.

Now, my friend is a fat, frazzled mess. She works (of course she had to because he gets paid a pittance) and yet, he expects her to take care of the children -- including the ones from the other marriage while he has them. Of course, he can't be bothered because, you know, he has his singing.

She is failing at work because she can't both work and take care of the kids and now... husband is threatening divorce. And get this... she found out because he makes so little money... she might have to pay him alimony if they divorce.

Now... of course, not everyone is like this... but I do think over a certain age, you are much more likely to find a bad one, male or female, who is searching for marriage or a relationship. If you finding people in the "dating game" that your gut doesn't like, LISTEN.

Most of the great people I know Male and Female, don't want to get married. If they find someone that interests them they just are very casual about it. Life is too short. But also find that there is a time between 40 and 55 or so where the bad ones get weeded out and people find some great significant others just because they are relaxed and a lot of the pressures of kids and marriage is done.

Destaric said:
matt4 said:
There are so many benefits to not having one as well. Try to work on making yourself happy single first!

This is true. A lot of people seem it on the streets but you don't know the stories they carry. I've seen at work (I work in retail) visible displays of this too. Couples arguing whilst pcking their shopping, one very sad lady who I will never forget. Must have been late 30's/40's with a black eye. I can only guess where it came from with her guy and kids. You never know the full story.

I've just come out of a relationship with someone I really deeply cared about and could see myself having a future with (it was the first time that I've ever felt that), towards the end though I was unhappy at some point nearly every day. I felt left out (unimportant at an important time) and unappreciated. You know when your single, you don't appreciate singledom. Everyday I hoped that something would change. That's what you hope for when you love someone right? You naturally want to stick by them no matter what, but :/

Work on being happy single everyone. Date, have fun, be selective about that person who you let into your life as your partner. They have the key to your heart, yes it's the key to also destroy you. As a single person you don't have less risk of destroying yourself. A lot of us here are fragile and wouldn't cope with a breakup. Until you feel you are ready to cope with everything a relationship can through at you don't do it.

You can enjoy being single. I know it's hard working on improving yourself but you know. Keeping yourself trim, going to the gym, buying new clothes and fragrences all help to boost confidence. Get on dating websites. Come out with witty remarks, don't just look for love on them. Look to have a good, enjoyable night.

Working on your hobbies and interests definitely works too. That's what makes people interesting and fun to be around too, having them. When you can start enjoying life and smiling day by day people will naturally gravitate towards you and the fact that you are living single will be less of an issue.

I know I never had a chance with women, and I'm wasting my time trying, and the reasons for that are by now irreconcilable (and in many ways were set in stone before I became an adult). I don't know if that's your case and I wouldn't encourage anyone to go down this path.

My stance still is technically "taking a break" - i.e. not really chasing after women, and making little effort to ask women about anything sexual. Needless to say, it's very rare for a woman to show anything that can be interpreted as interest, but it does happen on occasion (usually with women who don't know me well and might not pick up on just what I am). In the past few years that hasn't happened, and I have basically withdrawn from most life.

Just bear in mind that a good number of women are only interested in money, and a substantial percentage of men are paying to fool themselves into success. It's not worthwhile to dwell too long on this, but there is a large business thriving on this kind of lie and so many men (including married men) are trapped into it.

I can't really say that I'm unhappy with loneliness. I'm far more unhappy with the reasons why I'm locked out from social interaction worth a ****. By now, if those factors no longer existed and I was as close to a valid man as I could be, I would probably retract further and be bothered even less. I've always been far happier when such things were removed from my life.

I don't think happiness really means a whole lot. Plenty of miserable people find something, and it's not the relationship that's causing the misery. There is a lot of social pressure to break apart relationships society doesn't approve of, and perceived unfitness is often used by meddlers (and manipulators who want to steal someone's partner). This culture goes far to convince people to internalize the actions of a third party. Sadly that whole thing is the honeysuckle anyone who wants to be with another has to deal with. A fair number of people see the writing on the wall and have given up, even if they don't understand (or choose not to see) it as such.

matt4 said:
This is true. A lot of people seem it on the streets but you don't know the stories they carry. I've seen at work (I work in retail) visible displays of this too. Couples arguing whilst pcking their shopping, one very sad lady who I will never forget. Must have been late 30's/40's with a black eye. I can only guess where it came from with her guy and kids. You never know the full story.

I've just come out of a relationship with someone I really deeply cared about and could see myself having a future with (it was the first time that I've ever felt that), towards the end though I was unhappy at some point nearly every day. I felt left out (unimportant at an important time) and unappreciated. You know when your single, you don't appreciate singledom. Everyday I hoped that something would change. That's what you hope for when you love someone right? You naturally want to stick by them no matter what, but :/

Work on being happy single everyone. Date, have fun, be selective about that person who you let into your life as your partner. They have the key to your heart, yes it's the key to also destroy you. As a single person you don't have less risk of destroying yourself. A lot of us here are fragile and wouldn't cope with a breakup. Until you feel you are ready to cope with everything a relationship can through at you don't do it.

You can enjoy being single. I know it's hard working on improving yourself but you know. Keeping yourself trim, going to the gym, buying new clothes and fragrences all help to boost confidence. Get on dating websites. Come out with witty remarks, don't just look for love on them. Look to have a good, enjoyable night.

Working on your hobbies and interests definitely works too. That's what makes people interesting and fun to be around too, having them. When you can start enjoying life and smiling day by day people will naturally gravitate towards you and the fact that you are living single will be less of an issue.

Is it important to also be a catch, so you can meet the standards of some highly selective individual who is too proud for their own good?

Latest posts

Back