Lonely, Even When You Have Everything

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demian

Reaction score
This is only my second post here on these forums. I don't remember what exactly brought me here, but when I ran into this little corner of the internet, something was so compelling about it. I thought it might help me to understand my strange loneliness. Strange, because I've always had a loving family, loving siblings, loving friends, a loving spouse that I met when I was 14 (I'm 32 now), and two wonderful little girls. What's more, I have a politician's personality: gregarious, smiling, and socially astute. Yet... I've been lonely my entire life, and I've never really understood why. It makes me wonder: there are so many people here who are trying to defeat their loneliness with some physical thing in this world, but I wonder whether for a few of us, that loneliness might be a fundamental part of who we are.

Sometimes loneliness lurches on me suddenly. I'll be hamming it up while I teach a class or while I laugh with my family, and someone will say some particular thing, and the loneliness will suddenly appear, like realizing that a dark but familiar stranger is in the corner of the room. At that moment, I feel utterly alone and alienated. Like some rock on a distant, lifeless rogue planet between stars. There is something eerily beautiful and terrible about that loneliness. Like the quiet, peaceful, stillness of death.

I'm tempted to call this loneliness "solitude" instead, but is solitude so unpleasant? When I feel this way, it brushes with a sort of distant, primal hopelessness and depression. When I feel lonely in this way, it reminds me of a cold night. So cold that the stars pierce at you, like needles. As you shiver in the cold, you want to go inside to escape the discomfort, but you also want to stay out and admire the beauty.

I've never expressed this to the people in my life, but behind the eternally smiling man with whom they are familiar, I know they sense it in me.

I don't know what it means, if anything. I just wanted to share it with people who might understand. There's a certain suitable, poetic irony in being together with others in your loneliness. And I thought this might be the place.

Demian said:
I've always had a loving family, loving siblings, loving friends, a loving spouse, and two wonderful little girls.

It might not make you feel any better...

But I'm sure some of us wish we even had a chance that much, lonely or not :)

I know I'd like #3-5

coffeeaddict said:
Demian said:
I've always had a loving family, loving siblings, loving friends, a loving spouse, and two wonderful little girls.

It might not make you feel any better...

But I'm sure some of us wish we even had a chance that much, lonely or not :)

I know I'd like #3-5

Well that's the thing, I don't know how to feel about that sense of "loneliness". It's not something I'm sure I wish would be gone, the same way that someone who has loved and lost would wish for those memories to be purged from their mind. I think a lot of people look at their loneliness and think "if only it could go away," the same way that an artist or a writer might look at misery and depression and think "if only it could go away." But in the same stroke, that misery and depression can be the inspiration that they never would have had otherwise.

I've always felt this sense of loneliness. Earlier in my life, before my wife, I felt lonely about not having a significant other who understood me. For about 10 years, when my wife and I wanted to have children but couldn't due to infertility, again I felt this incredible sense of loneliness. Each time, that loneliness had a sense of tragedy about it, but also something beautiful. Now, I have all of those things and there is no unrequited social needs, but the loneliness is still there. All of those years, was I just projecting those feelings on to whatever thing I thought I was lacking in the moment? I don't know. I think perhaps people can spend their entire lives believing that if only circumstances outside of their own self were different, then at last they feel as though they would be permitted to be complete or to be happy. I always had a sense that the only thing you could ever truly control was what was happening in your own head, and my experiences recently would seem to confirm this.

And so since my first daughter was born, my understanding of that loneliness has changed. It's always been a sharp and eerily beautiful part of my emotional life, as well as saddening, and I wonder whether what I should have done all along was focus on the things that I have, and not what I didn't have. To recognize that some of the ways I've felt are simply the person that I am.

Demian said:
Strange, because I've always had a loving family, loving siblings, loving friends, a loving spouse that I met when I was 14 (I'm 32 now), and two wonderful little girls. What's more, I have a politician's personality: gregarious, smiling, and socially astute.

Yeah, I can see how cursed you are. I feel really bad for you.

BeyondShy said:

God **** it. Do everyone a favor and keep your embittered passive-aggressive sarcasm to yourself. You wanna invalidate others people's feelings, go on Tumblr or something.

I have always felt my loneliest around other people. With my exes, my children. I haven't had the best relationships, but I truly believe there's something inside of me that has always felt unsettled. It doesn't seem to matter where I find myself. I personally accept it, and use it to push me further. Even if this feeling remains, at least I will have the adventures that come with it.

Rodent said:
God **** it. Do everyone a favor and keep your embittered passive-aggressive sarcasm to yourself. You wanna invalidate others people's feelings, go on Tumblr or something.

I just have a hard time understanding where he's coming from. The way he describes his life he has one that I would safely say more than half the people here would be satisfied with.

I don't think I am invalidating his feelings at all but based on all the wonderful things going on in his life there is a good chance others may not understand it either.

You know nothing about me so please don't assume you do.

BeyondShy said:
I just have a hard time understanding where he's coming from. The way he describes his life he has one that I would safely say more than half the people here would be satisfied with.

I don't think I am invalidating his feelings at all but based on all the wonderful things going on in his life there is a good chance others may not understand it either.

Perhaps if you look at it as him being in some sort of emotional pain, you can find better understanding. I am sure everyone, at one point or another, has had a time where they were hurting inside with it making no sense to the outside world.

AmytheTemperamental said:
Perhaps if you look at it as him being in some sort of emotional pain, you can find better understanding. I am sure everyone, at one point or another, has had a time where they were hurting inside with it making no sense to the outside world.

Yes I can see that too. It kind of sounds that even with all of the wonderful things he has (wonderful wife, children, etc) that somewhere something's missing.

as far as I have experienced, those feelings arise when you don't think that the people who surround you are seeing your true you - do you feel like there is a part of you that you have been hiding from everyone, maybe because you felt it was unworthy or unlovable or plain scary, and that is the thing that creates a separation between the "outside you" and what you really feel inside?
Sorry about the two cent psychology - but I agree that one on the outside can seem very successful socially and yet one can feel very lonely.
Also, as a survivor of childhood abuse I agree that sometimes this disconnection is something that one just carries along, but I hope it's not forever.

BeyondShy said:

You are doing what you ask people not to do. How ******* ironic.

You don't know his life until you walk his exact shoes either so you have no right judging him just by his description here. I told you. Stop it. Stop doing this. If you wanna post, post something beneficial. Not post something to make sarcastic comments or silence or belittle people and their issues or to put them down.

So stop it.

I don't find it too surprising someone who has so much is still lonely. For how shitty about my life I generally feel, I know that even I have things (mostly immaterial) that other people would kill for. Loneliness, depression, they don't care about what you have. It's what you don't have, and what the things you do have end up meaning to you. How fulfilling they are. Many lonely and depressed people may be satisfied and fulfilled with what he has, but the same could be said of what I have, I'm sure.

BeyondShy said:
Demian said:
Strange, because I've always had a loving family, loving siblings, loving friends, a loving spouse that I met when I was 14 (I'm 32 now), and two wonderful little girls. What's more, I have a politician's personality: gregarious, smiling, and socially astute.

BeyondShy said:
Rodent said:

Okay, first that was just rude to say. And second, you're claim that you don't understand him is a lousy excuse. You didn't ask him anything to better understand where the OP is coming from you just made an ignorant remark. You've done this repeatedly and it needs to stop. Actually I think after making this post you'll be getting some time off from the forum, you've been sliding by much too often making posts like that. We've received too many complaints and reports to let it slide any longer.

ladyforsaken said:
BeyondShy said:

You are doing what you ask people not to do. How ******* ironic.

You don't know his life until you walk his exact shoes either so you have no right judging him just by his description here. I told you. Stop it. Stop doing this. If you wanna post, post something beneficial. Not post something to make sarcastic comments or silence or belittle people and their issues or to put them down.

So stop it.

I have nothing but respect for you LadyF and you've been a great source of support personally. But please leave this to moderating staff to do. When people take it upon themselves to make posts like this it doesn't help us, it makes it more difficult.

This post makes me sick, and not in an offensive way... but I think I'm very similar to you. Its kind of like a strange realiziation for me. I have family, not alot, but a mother who loves me and a beautiful little girl who is the light of my life. I have a bf, and while he's not perfect, he's not the worst either. My job is honeysuckle, but i do have love and people around me. I have zero issues socializing or talking to new people, I smile lots and I'm friendly too, but you never know whats in someone head. I think maybe I put so much emphasis on other people to make me not feel lonely. Maybe you're onto something, maybe I'll always have that lonely feeling.

Sometimes I'm hanging out with my bf, we're doing things we love doing together, but I get withdrawn. I start to feel empty and hollow, even in happy situations. My way of coping is sleeping, I'll just take a nap. Hmmm

It's funny how different people have different perspective on things... I can't seem to get enough of alone time... I actually get happy when I know it's time for me to get away from people... I've said this many times before, there are times I do feel like having some company but that feeling never lasts too long...

Peaches said:
as far as I have experienced, those feelings arise when you don't think that the people who surround you are seeing your true you - do you feel like there is a part of you that you have been hiding from everyone, maybe because you felt it was unworthy or unlovable or plain scary, and that is the thing that creates a separation between the "outside you" and what you really feel inside?
Sorry about the two cent psychology - but I agree that one on the outside can seem very successful socially and yet one can feel very lonely.
Also, as a survivor of childhood abuse I agree that sometimes this disconnection is something that one just carries along, but I hope it's not forever.

I think there's def some truth to this, especially for me. The happiest I've ever been was when I was with someone I could be my complete self around. I never felt lonely.

Peaches said:

Pop psychology or not, this sounds like as plausible explanation as any.

The OP made a point of saying how gregarious his outward manner is as if it were at odds with the 'real self' much of the time. I also agree about childhood experiences...

Demian said:
This is only my second post here on these forums. I don't remember what exactly brought me here, but when I ran into this little corner of the internet, something was so compelling about it. I thought it might help me to understand my strange loneliness. Strange, because I've always had a loving family, loving siblings, loving friends, a loving spouse that I met when I was 14 (I'm 32 now), and two wonderful little girls. What's more, I have a politician's personality: gregarious, smiling, and socially astute. Yet... I've been lonely my entire life, and I've never really understood why. It makes me wonder: there are so many people here who are trying to defeat their loneliness with some physical thing in this world, but I wonder whether for a few of us, that loneliness might be a fundamental part of who we are.

Sometimes loneliness lurches on me suddenly. I'll be hamming it up while I teach a class or while I laugh with my family, and someone will say some particular thing, and the loneliness will suddenly appear, like realizing that a dark but familiar stranger is in the corner of the room. At that moment, I feel utterly alone and alienated. Like some rock on a distant, lifeless rogue planet between stars. There is something eerily beautiful and terrible about that loneliness. Like the quiet, peaceful, stillness of death.

I'm tempted to call this loneliness "solitude" instead, but is solitude so unpleasant? When I feel this way, it brushes with a sort of distant, primal hopelessness and depression. When I feel lonely in this way, it reminds me of a cold night. So cold that the stars pierce at you, like needles. As you shiver in the cold, you want to go inside to escape the discomfort, but you also want to stay out and admire the beauty.

I've never expressed this to the people in my life, but behind the eternally smiling man with whom they are familiar, I know they sense it in me.

I don't know what it means, if anything. I just wanted to share it with people who might understand. There's a certain suitable, poetic irony in being together with others in your loneliness. And I thought this might be the place.

Its funny, I was just thinking about this feeling today. I feel very much the same, and am just like you, minus the children. I have people around me, I have BF that lives with me, and is good to me a big, loving family, a job I enjoy...... yet, I still feel the loneliness and it is overwhelming at times.

It's hard to describe this to others. On the outside looking in, I'm far from lonely, but from the inside looking out, I feel lost and alone many times.

I know where you are coming from, its an odd, strange place to be and a feeling you can't quite explain. Thank you for sharing this.

Demian said:

When I feel this way, it brushes with a sort of distant, primal hopelessness and depression. When I feel lonely in this way, it reminds me of a cold night. So cold that the stars pierce at you, like needles. As you shiver in the cold, you want to go inside to escape the discomfort, but you also want to stay out and admire the beauty.

That is beautiful and accurate.

I personally accept it, and use it to push me further. Even if this feeling remains, at least I will have the adventures that come with it.

This is how I feel about it as well. I do occasionally feel that I am never so lonely as when I am among others. Maybe to feel that way is a part of your identity. I accept it as well, as Amy's said. I wonder what it may bring.

I have always felt my loneliest around other people. With my exes, my children. I haven't had the best relationships, but I truly believe there's something inside of me that has always felt unsettled. It doesn't seem to matter where I find myself. I personally accept it, and use it to push me further. Even if this feeling remains, at least I will have the adventures that come with it.

Yes, I think this is exactly how I'm starting to understand it. In some ways, its how you understand how you are feeling that matters, not whether you get rid of those emotions.

BeyondShy said:
Demian said:

My relationships aren't a curse. They aren't the cause of any problems, and I adore them and in many ways they make my life rich. The question is what is the root cause of some kinds of feelings of alienation, and whether they are a good or bad thing, even when they sometimes feel painful. For me, having finally gotten all of the relationships one would want in the world, I still have feelings of isolation, detachment, and alienation. It's opened my eyes to what those feelings might really mean.

BeyondShy said:
Rodent said:

I think you need to read my full post in its entirety, because I wasn't complaining about my relationships. They are wonderful. I tell them that I love them every day. Even though my family lost everything that we owned last year, we're still satisfied having each other, and I remind myself how lucky I am, every day. If this were a scientific experiment, and those variables oft associate with feelings of alienation and isolation were ruled out, then what is left? That's what I've tried to understand, recently.

I think a lot of people believe that if only they could get that girl friend or soul mate or that family of their own, then they could finally feel complete. I already went through that journey, but still, that feeling remains. That doesn't mean that I'm deeply unhappy all the time. My relationships have enriched that life, but quite frequently, I still frequently feel alone and alienated, and it feels both good and bad. Does that clear things up at all?[/i]

Peaches said:

I felt this way a lot when I was a kid. People told me again all through my life to run for public office--- but I dreaded the thought of doing what politicians do: be someone that you aren't. I don't really like being social, but its just easy for me. I've always known what to do and say to be accepted and liked and I've done them throughout my life, but it was never the things that I actually wanted to do and say. My interests were all esoteric, even as a kid. I remember I'd be chatting it up, making people laugh as the center of attention, and then suddenly I'd be overcome with this immense sense of loneliness.

Then, I'd immediately find some excuse to go be alone.

But now I'm wondering whether it was ever really a bad thing to feel the way I did. Maybe my loneliness was putting me where I needed to be: away from people that didn't really mean anything to me to begin with. Putting me someplace where I could think by myself.

Latest posts

Back