Political events making me unhappy and angry

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paraiyar

How do I learn not to let these events get me down (I won't go into what they are or my opinion on them). It is really making me darker and taking away most of the hope I have for the future. I sometimes wish I could be apathetic like a lot of my generation but I don't seem capable of that.

Politics is a process. Get involved in supporting people you believe in. But, you will win some and you will lost some. Or, turn off the TV and watch The Bachelor or some other mindless shows.

I don't know the answer to this question, but if you ever find out please let me know. Politics make me very unhappy and extremely angry all the time.
Like you I'm pretty sure that it is completely impossible to just not care. It is simply not within my nature to ignore such absolutely disgusting things like politics. These sort of things are constantly on my mind, too.

It's the way of the world. There is and has always been conviving and manipulating and vying for positions of power. All you can do is cast your vote and hope for the best. And, no matter who is in power, you just have to find a way to live your best life NOW and today. Focus on your own life.

delledonne11 said:
All you can do is cast your vote and hope for the best.
That's not all we can do. There are... alternatives.
I do not really believe in voting myself. I find elections to be rigged in most cases.

delledonne11 said:
Focus on your own life.
Like I said, that is impossible. And, no offense, but don't you think that it is also a bit selfish?

I see people living and dying on the streets. I see people unable to afford food for their children or homes. I see people unable to afford toys for their kids to play with. People unable to afford medicines or treatment they need just to feel healthy or survive. I see pregnant teens and even adult women having abortions only because they know they cannot afford to have a child, not because they don't want it. I see generations of family members all crowded into a one or two bedroom apartment. I've seen people resort to violence and selling drugs only because it was their only opportunity to do something with their lives. I've seen people murdered in cold blood only because they lived in or were from the ghettos, in the wrong place at the wrong time, or said or did the wrong thing to the wrong person.

And that's just what I've seen.
That's not even taking into account places around the world where people starve without food, and have no clean drinking water. Where they have to steal to survive and still starve. Children who watch their parents die because they sacrificed the little food they had so that their children would not starve that day.
These are things I know are happening.
And we cannot forget war. Wars where we send people to die and send people to kill. And for what? To fight an "enemy" whose reasons for war might be just as well justified, if not more so, as those supposedly there to "protect" us? Screw that. The world is not so black and white. And in war innocent people die all the time. No one seems to ever truly acknowledge that.

And you know what else I've seen? ******** in suits, with more money than they'll ever need, arguing over whether or not its right to give these people what they need to survive. Idiotically arguing over how to help them when the answers are so freaking obvious. Right there in front of them. But they'll never admit it. These people do not actually want to fix anything. They do not really care if anyone starves. They do not care if people die.

How can anyone be truly happy when all of this is happening, everywhere?
I know I can't be.

You are kind of missing what I am saying. I am very involved in politics. I am involved in my community. Heck, i am on the School Board. I coach youth leagues, etc. What i am saying is that if you focus on your life and YOUR community and the life around you, that is what makes the world a better place. Yeah, you can send a donation overseas for starving kids and I do give to charities. But, there are people in your own backyard that need help. So waiting for Washington to do something is a waste of time. Care for your own world yourself. There is and always will be corruption. But, the only life you have is what you have right now. So, you make the best of your life now and touch the lives around you. So, not sure what is "selfish" about that? But, i find it curious that on this board, if you say to "live your best life", that that is considered "selfish". Interesting.

If it pisses you off, learn how to detach from it.

I agree with delledonne on what was said above. It's NOT impossible and it's NOT selfish in the slighest. Why concern yourself with something you have no control over? You may vote for president in America, but AMERICA and who they vote for does not matter. The PEOPLE don't choose the president.

delledonne11 said:
You are kind of missing what I am saying.
delledonne11 said:
But, i find it curious that on this board, if you say to "live your best life", that that is considered "selfish". Interesting.
Well, you kind of missed what I was saying, too.

It's fine if that's the way you want to live. Doing whatever you can to be happy, but at the same time trying to help everyone around you. I think that's probably a good way to live, too. I'm not saying you're selfish for doing that. You didn't really make that clear it is what you meant.

In any case, none of that helps me. I can't even close my eyes anymore without seeing someone who needs help. It's not something I can stop thinking about because it's not something that I want to stop thinking about.
How could I? People are hurting. People are dying. They are all around me.
I can't simply pretend that isn't happening. I cannot forget something like that.

And it's all because of them. It is all because of these governments and these politicians. These people who only pretend to care about others. These are people who do not allow people like me in to change things. These are people who do not even allow people like me to be represented. These are people who willingly send people to their deaths.

And I am simply supposed to ignore that? I am simply supposed to pretend it isn't happening?
No matter how long I do what you suggest I do it never makes me happy. In fact living this lie and telling myself it is fine is exactly why I am here. It isn't fine!
This is exactly why I am so miserable. This is exactly why I want to be miserable. I can allow myself to be happy for a moment, but I cannot allow myself to be truly happy until this problem is resolved. Until everyone is free.

You suggest we cannot change things, but I do not think that is actually true. One day things are going to change. They have to. This is the day I have been preparing for. The day I must prepare for. I cannot do anything else. I cannot think about anything else. I believe we should all be preparing for that day. It is going to come whether we are ready for it or not.

Sorry... I let this topic get to me. I think I need a break for a while.

delledonne11 said:
Politics is a process. Get involved in supporting people you believe in. But, you will win some and you will lost some. Or, turn off the TV and watch The Bachelor or some other mindless shows.

The problem is, it's politics in Europe that are mostly making me unhappy and I live in New Zealand.

Right now, I'm absolutely livid at what's happened in Cologne and other major German cities and the politically correct media's pathetic response to it.

Oh my God, does it ever make me angry, too. I try not to let it though, because then I'm angry at **** near everything else, and I don't like being like that.

Paraiyar said:
Right now, I'm absolutely livid at what's happened in Cologne and other major German cities and the politically correct media's pathetic response to it.

It concerns me too. What's even worse is the police stood around in Cologne and did little about what was happening.
I get almost all my non-local news from European outlets so I have no idea what's been reported in the US. But it seems like the truth is starting come out at least in Europe in the past few days.

-Teresa

The police also said initially that the event was peaceful so I don't believe their claim that migrants weren't involved either.

Hi, I live in Europe and everything that has happened is two hours away from me.
What's going on here is that it has become taboo to say negative stuff about refugees. If you are not fan of the refugees, it is better not to voice your opinion because you are written off as a bad person.
There were refugees involved, 8 of the 31 people who were arrested were refugees who were here still with a refugee-paper. It's both a political issue as a media issue. The media feels the need to show the refugees in a positive light, by ignoring the negative things. That's also what the police-dude was trying to do. He didn't want to put out bad news about the refugees, but this backfired really badly on him (He also got suspended.)
People are angry at the media that they are refusing to share the news about the refugees just because of political correctness. Last few days, alot of articles about refugeerapes and shoplifting from refugees have come out.

Honestly, I find myself to be scared. I was at a big city event yesterday and I felt worried. I study in a big city and I find myself to be worried lots of the time when I'm taking the bus or am waiting at the trainstation. One can blame the current government, but it's a situation that's been going on for a while. And tell me, what is the right solution? Let them in, or let them stay in a war-filled country? It's just a very difficult situation that no one knows the answer to.

It saddens me to see how everything is being ruined. I wish these people could get rid of their hatred in their hearts.

PS: in 2015, my country suffered 70% more terrorism than in the past 15 years.

There is a lot of anger coming from everywhere, and no one really knows what to reply to the situation. Everyone is just angry at each other because they feel like they have no say in anything at all.

I can't believe what a scary place my country has become.

You used to be H.G Wells on here right? Are you still in Belgium? In my opinion, only women and children should have been allowed in. I know it sounds cold but it would have prevented most, if not all of the disaster this has turned into.

I think in the end the PC shell will crack. People can only be silenced for so long before the anger trumps the fear of being labelled a bad person. But what will happen then, I don't know.

My heart does go out to you from New Zealand though. I love Europe and I never want it to be lost.

With enforced political correctness on one side and PEGIDA on the other it's really just a matter of time till it cracks here in Germany. People have been struggling with the taboo of saying anything against immigrants here for ages for they'd just be written off as Nazis and that's still one of the roots of the problem. Everyone can see that the integration which is supposed to take place is failing cause it only happens in speeches and empty gestures. Refugee kids getting forced into school classes though they don't understand a single word of German is just one example. Of course even moderate people get in line with PEGIDA when there seems to be no other way to voice opposition against the flood of refugees which is welcomed with open arms in an act of politicking. We're just not getting any balance into this situation, it's just pinballing between the extremes while the councelor is trying to keep the lid on it. But the tensions are constantly rising. Fear, powerlessness and prejudice forms a deadly combination.

I'm really glad I started this thread. It's just confirmed what I thought. I have a fondness for the German people and I just really hope for the best for Germany.

Rainbows said:
Hi, I live in Europe and everything that has happened is two hours away from me.
What's going on here is that it has become taboo to say negative stuff about refugees. If you are not fan of the refugees, it is better not to voice your opinion because you are written off as a bad person.
There were refugees involved, 8 of the 31 people who were arrested were refugees who were here still with a refugee-paper. It's both a political issue as a media issue. The media feels the need to show the refugees in a positive light, by ignoring the negative things. That's also what the police-dude was trying to do. He didn't want to put out bad news about the refugees, but this backfired really badly on him (He also got suspended.)
People are angry at the media that they are refusing to share the news about the refugees just because of political correctness. Last few days, alot of articles about refugeerapes and shoplifting from refugees have come out.

Honestly, I find myself to be scared. I was at a big city event yesterday and I felt worried. I study in a big city and I find myself to be worried lots of the time when I'm taking the bus or am waiting at the trainstation. One can blame the current government, but it's a situation that's been going on for a while. And tell me, what is the right solution? Let them in, or let them stay in a war-filled country? It's just a very difficult situation that no one knows the answer to.

It saddens me to see how everything is being ruined. I wish these people could get rid of their hatred in their hearts.

PS: in 2015, my country suffered 70% more terrorism than in the past 15 years.

There is a lot of anger coming from everywhere, and no one really knows what to reply to the situation. Everyone is just angry at each other because they feel like they have no say in anything at all.

I can't believe what a scary place my country has become.

Thanks for your perspective, I appreciate hearing it.
I agree with Paraiyar, I like the Germans and I'm hoping for the best for Germany.

-Teresa

Paraiyar said:
How do I learn not to let these events get me down (I won't go into what they are or my opinion on them).

It is hard thing to do.

TheRealCallie said:
I agree with delledonne on what was said above. It's NOT impossible and it's NOT selfish in the slighest. Why concern yourself with something you have no control over? You may vote for president in America, but AMERICA and who they vote for does not matter. The PEOPLE don't choose the president.

A lot of people don't realize this and overlook this fact. Later on this year when summer arrives the Republicans and Democrats will choose their representative and people will vote for one of the two. There is your "choice."

Rainbows said:

Sounds like the what happens in the U.S. too. If you say or believe in something that the politically correct crowd doesn't agree with you are labeled as a racist.

Rainbows said:

I believe refugees should be put in a positive light only if they do something to deserve it. Did a refugee help someone that night that was hurt or injured? By all means give him credit. Did a refugee do something to hurt someone that night? By all means call him out for it and don't look the other way.

Rainbows said:

I am sure that even more stories will be coming out too.

Paraiyar said:
In my opinion, only women and children should have been allowed in. I know it sounds cold but it would have prevented most, if not all of the disaster this has turned into.

It doesn't sound cold at all. I am not going to give my opinion on the refugees in here because someone is sure to whine and cry and report my post because they don't agree with what I said. So, I will keep it to myself. That's what political correctness does.

Paraiyar said:
I think in the end the PC shell will crack. People can only be silenced for so long before the anger trumps the fear of being labelled a bad person. But what will happen then, I don't know.

You know what I'd like to know? When did this PC stuff start? When did people start getting so offended over everything? And it seems to me sometimes they go out and look for something to complain about.

Paraiyar said:
I have a fondness for the German people and I just really hope for the best for Germany.

I got nothing against the German people either.

The social construct of political correctness is nothing new. I did a college class presentation on PC back in the 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back