awkward interactions

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nondescript

Reaction score
I just randomly bumped into a girl I went on one internet date 2 years ago where she rejected me (gently) as she thought of me as a friend.

We met once more as friends and then much later bumped into each other a few times when she was on dates with other guys

I found the interaction today really, really awkward.

She was being friendly and asked for my number and I acted cold/uncomfortable.

The conversation was really forced and weird as it attempted "fake" familiarity when really we don't really know each other at all.

I was looking and judging her physically (in a negative way) and felt paranoid that my facial expression was readable on my face.

The interaction has affected me more than I like to admit.

Where before I was thinking I was looking cool in my new jacket on the way home I saw my reflection in windows and just thought I am really ugly.

Spurned romantic relations/emotions are really difficult to deal with. I came home all in a bother and felt the need to write this out to calm myself down.

anyway thanks for reading, not sure what my intention for posting this if nothing more than being able to express myself

did you give her your number ?

odd that you keep bumping into each other ... I would start to wonder if its worth a second look or she truly would like to be friends

BTW ...people dont always read us as clearly as we think they might

And the carousel is winding down and there's no one left to ride... you probably really did look cool.

While she wants to get to know you by asking for your number, like what BadGuy said, I would wonder whether she only wants to be friends or it could lead to more than friendship. Regardless of what, it's up to you to accept to keep in touch or not.

Don't stress too much over awkwardness of situation. If you decide to be friends with her be ready for possibility of further conversations looking weird for some time. She probably has already figured it out that because of her rejection in the past, interactions will be awkward.

I get this sometimes as well but I feel like I get it a lot less since my recent trip overseas. I think I kind of decided that it had damaged my life enough and I wasn't willing to let it any more. You kind of have to think of the emotional cost of feeling angry at yourself for being awkward as worse than the actual feeling of someone not liking you or whatever.

Thanks for your responses

We did exchange numbers however I'm not pursuing a friendship/relationship.

I see a combination of guilt/humiliation which will be a whole new fun category of pain to deal with alongside my loneliness.

I know this is easier said than done but you need to look at it as an opportunity for something good instead.

Eh, if she makes you uncomfortable then maybe block her number and move on?

nondescript said:

I see a combination of guilt/humiliation which will be a whole new fun category of pain to deal with alongside my loneliness.

Send a text asking her for a coffee and see what happens.
Nothing to lose. She gave you her number which must mean something.

If you are lonely, you shouldn't discount anybody.

Triple Bogey said:
nondescript said:

Send a text asking her for a coffee and see what happens.
Nothing to lose. She gave you her number which must mean something.

If you are lonely, you shouldn't discount anybody.

Agree with this.

Latest posts

Back