I stink !

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Bogey

Reaction score
Well according to my Manager I work. He got me in the office yesterday and said the other staff were complaining about me. I smell ! I couldn't believe it ! I was really shocked. Because I am not a slob, I care about I look (and smell)

I change my boxers and socks every day (sometimes twice), I change my work shirt every day. I have a bath three times a week. I shave before work and put on aftershave. I cycle to work in a normal shirt and then change into my work shirt. I always use deodorant. I use body spray about 5 times a day.

It seems the staff have been complaining for a while and he took time to say something and they were complaining about that. Since christmas the staff have been really off with me. Something was going on. People going quiet when I was around, one word answers, grumpy faces.

He went on and on. He wanted to know how often I wash my work clothes. I said my Dad does a service wash at a launderette. He wanted to know why we haven't got a washing machine. I said because we haven't. None of his business. He ordered some new work clothes for me. He implied I was some nice guy loser who couldn't wash himself and had nothing going for him. That was the impression I got.

You can imagine how I felt. So down, so low. It was funny because all the staff suddenly become really jovial after I came out the office. I got thru the day and went home to tell my Dad. He said he hadn't noticed I smell. We both checked my work clothes, jacket, trousers, didn't smell at all. He was so mad about what the manager said, I had to persuade him not to go to my shop and have a right go at him !

I know it's petty but I thought 'that's me and the staff finished' - so I unfollowed all of them on facebook and removed them from my photo group. Work and facebook isn't going to mix from now on.

This morning, I felt paranoid. I washed my face and body, Sprayed deodorant on everything, clothes included, changed everything. I got thru the day, didn't feel like talking. All the staff knew, nobody said anything but they never stopped talking to me, asking me daft questions about when I was going to play golf next. I suppose they were trying to cheer me up but I felt miserable. I feel down about it. I don't understand it.

A few women smell themselves but I have never said anything. I would never because I don't want to hurt anybodies feelings. We don't work on top of each other so it's hardly a problem.

Thanks for reading !

I get paranoid about this stuff myself.

And it's easy for people to judge. Not everyone sweats as much. If I don't shower every day, change everything close to the skin every day, and any other clothes every 3rd day, people will notice. I suppose that's not too uncommon though.

And don't get me started on stinky shoes. I can't wear a pair a whole day without having them start smelling bad.

If smells are sticking to your laundry, you could try a vinegar wash before they get washed. I would suggest not using too much product, as it can make you stink more.

Wow. That's horrible, Triple B. Your manager sounds like a bit of an ass, asking you why you don't have a washing machine. What the hell?

I'm just wondering what they all mean by 'smell'. I mean, there's lots of things that could make a person smell. Are they meaning body odor (sweat), bad breath, stinky shoes, unwashed clothes...did he specifically say?

I'm sorry that happened to you, hugs.

ringwood said:
Wow. That's horrible, Triple B. Your manager sounds like a bit of an ass, asking you why you don't have a washing machine. What the hell?

I'm just wondering what they all mean by 'smell'. I mean, there's lots of things that could make a person smell. Are they meaning body odor (sweat), bad breath, stinky shoes, unwashed clothes...did he specifically say?

I'm sorry that happened to you, hugs.

Thank you.

He never said what smell it was. It's a cold shop so I don't sweat much. My breath seems fine. I've had a whiff of my shoes and they aren't that bad. My clothes are fine. I've never felt the least bit smelly or grimy. If I cycle home with a work shirt on and it's get a bit sweaty I won't wear it again. I've never done that.

Customers come up and talk to me, I don't ever see any disgust on their faces.

We have these 'talkbacks' that we fill in. Somebody the last 2 years has complained about somebody 'stinking' - I never dreamed it was me. And that two faced person has talked to me like I'm their best friend. It disgusts me. I have to work with these people but there is going to be zero contact outside work from now on. I mean that as well.

AmytheTemperamental said:
If smells are sticking to your laundry, you could try a vinegar wash before they get washed. I would suggest not using too much product, as it can make you stink more.

Thanks but I don't think they are. I think somebody has got their nose to close to their arse to be honest. My Dad lives with me and hasn't noticed a thing.

Thanks but I don't think they are. I think somebody has got their nose to close to their arse to be honest. My Dad lives with me and hasn't noticed a thing.

Hahaha. This...that's what I think too. Somebody being a dick, just because. If your customers don't seem to nothing anything, and nobody else in your close personal life does, then I don't think there's too much of a problem.

That sounds like a really awkward and embarassing conversation with the manager, TB.
I wonder the same thing that Ringwood mentioned - what exactly was the "smell" that he was talking about? If you change your work shirt and underwear every day, then whether or not you have a washing machine isn't relevant. It's odd that customers haven't complained too. If you've had your work clothes for a few years, maybe ask the laundry service to give them extra heavy duty washings? Or maybe try a different deodorant/ anti-perspirant?
I don't know, TB, I'm puzzled too!

-Teresa

is it possibly the sprays your using ?

we have had issues at work with people going overboard with application ...you become a custom to the scent and use more and more ...perfume scents can cause issues

My supervisor is brutal with cologne
The first day back after xmas I told him I noticed he got a new cologne for xmas ...suggested he save some for the rest of the year LOL

Another thing I have had personally ...I wear an ID badge around my neck ... the cloth started smelling over the summer ... I was wondering what the hell the smell was ... now launder it regularly

^ That's what I was thinking after everything you said. Some of those body sprays can be overwhelming and the wearer doesn't even realize it. We had a substitute teacher in grade school who people complained about and kids were coming home with headaches. She had a very strong smell to her, but it wasn't body odor it was her perfume, it was like she bathed in it. She was told she smelled. A lady of a guy I work with was told by a customer she smelled, it too was because she wore too much perfume. Even some deodorants can be strong, especially when you first buy them. I kind of feel for your manager, that is the most difficult talk to have with a person, I'd rather have to fire someone than talk to them about their hygiene.

^I used to live by a high school. Every day after school let out, without fail, it smelled like Axe dropped a bomb on the area.

I feel for you and for what it's worth I think you were put into a very embarrassing situation.

Sci-Fi made a good point when he said some deodorants can be strong and so did Amy about the smell of the Axe body spray. So that's a possibility.

A few years back I went into a store that was giving away little viles of a cologne called Ermenegildo Zegna 'Uomo.' I picked a couple of and brought them home and promptly forgot about it. One night I had to go somewhere. I had to get out of the house and go someplace so I got all cleaned up and as I was about to leave I saw the free sample vile of this cologne. Figuring why not, it won't hurt, I put it on and left to go out.

Call it blind luck but that night I got two compliments on my cologne. That got me thinking. I went home and I looked it up on Amazon and I found it. It's right here and you get a big bottle and a little one too. I paid $39.50 and I saved over 85 dollars. I am sure this is on Amazon UK but I will let you do the legwork if you are interested in this. It is the best smelling cologne I have ever had and while I have not met anyone because of it at least when I strike out and fail miserably I am smelling good doing it.

All of a sudden I wonder if I should have wrote all this.

It's most likely the smell of stale deodorant on your work clothes. 5 times a day is a lot.

Are you not able to shower in the morning before work? Then you might not need so much of it.

I agree that it could be the sprays you are using.
Or could it be that they are picking on you simply to make you feel bad and that in reality you don't smell at all?

Everybody sweats daily, sweat stays on the skin and smells, sprays don't clean it away, they will just add to whatever is on your skin. This is just me, but I don't feel clean unless I have showered or bathed daily.

Can you be sure your breath is ok all the way through your shift.

Sounds like an awful meeting, and he is out of line asking why you don't have a washing machine, it is none of his business.

The other side is that it was malicious tactics from your colleagues.

I've worked with a few people who smelled, and as hard as it is, you can't really say anything. Like Sci-Fi, I don't envy any authority figure who has to have a conversation like that. There was one guy, I literally couldn't work around him. I got physically ill, he smelled like he hung out in a sewer.

BeyondShy said:
I feel for you and for what it's worth I think you were put into a very embarrassing situation.

Sci-Fi made a good point when he said some deodorants can be strong and so did Amy about the smell of the Axe body spray. So that's a possibility.

A few years back I went into a store that was giving away little viles of a cologne called Ermenegildo Zegna 'Uomo.' I picked a couple of and brought them home and promptly forgot about it. One night I had to go somewhere. I had to get out of the house and go someplace so I got all cleaned up and as I was about to leave I saw the free sample vile of this cologne. Figuring why not, it won't hurt, I put it on and left to go out.

Call it blind luck but that night I got two compliments on my cologne. That got me thinking. I went home and I looked it up on Amazon and I found it. It's right here and you get a big bottle and a little one too. I paid $39.50 and I saved over 85 dollars. I am sure this is on Amazon UK but I will let you do the legwork if you are interested in this. It is the best smelling cologne I have ever had and while I have not met anyone because of it at least when I strike out and fail miserably I am smelling good doing it.

All of a sudden I wonder if I should have wrote all this.

Thanks. I will have a look.

ardour said:
It's most likely the smell of stale deodorant on your work clothes. 5 times a day is a lot.

Are you not able to shower in the morning before work? Then you might not need so much of it.

We don't have a shower in our house. And I start very early in the morning.
Obviously I will change things. Change my bath days and have a wash in the morning before work.

Tiina63 said:
I agree that it could be the sprays you are using.
Or could it be that they are picking on you simply to make you feel bad and that in reality you don't smell at all?

I think you are right, I don't smell. My Dad lives with me and he would tell me.
All the customers who came up to to me for a chat this morning. Would they do that if I stunk ?

It was maybe once and as always it gets exaggerated by people talking.

Serenia said:
Everybody sweats daily, sweat stays on the skin and smells, sprays don't clean it away, they will just add to whatever is on your skin. This is just me, but I don't feel clean unless I have showered or bathed daily.

Can you be sure your breath is ok all the way through your shift.

Sounds like an awful meeting, and he is out of line asking why you don't have a washing machine, it is none of his business.

The other side is that it was malicious tactics from your colleagues.

It's not the first time the staff have got me into trouble this year for something I didn't do. Nasty gossip and lies.

jblanch3 said:
I've worked with a few people who smelled, and as hard as it is, you can't really say anything. Like Sci-Fi, I don't envy any authority figure who has to have a conversation like that. There was one guy, I literally couldn't work around him. I got physically ill, he smelled like he hung out in a sewer.

I'm not that bad.

Could there be a funky smell in your house maybe? Smells from your house can stick to you and your clothes and follow you around. You probably wouldn't notice it if you are used to it, and neither would your dad. Do either of you smoke? Pets? Fireplace? Mustiness?

I am sorry for that situation. But, but if you are using body spray "5x a day", then that may be the issue. People don't want to smell cologne or ax. So, my guess isnt' that your smell personally but the products you are using. A clean, fresh scent is the best scent. Keeping a job is important. We all need a job to pay our bills and to have money to do what we want to do. Maybe cycling to work isnt' the best plan. If you could take a bus or drive, that might make more sense. Spraying body spray over yourself after you have cycled won't mask sweat.
There are other possible issues. Do you heat with a wood stove for instance? That has a distinct odor. And as for laundering, if you are laundering your clothes, that shouldnt' be an issue. Doesn't matter where you launder them. But, don't put them in the wash cycle and leave them sit wet for too long because clothes can get a mildewy smell if they aren't put into the dryer in a timely manner.
Anyway, even though it is upsetting, it is better to know the issue rather than have people talking about you. Again, i think the issues is probably more of the body sprays that are then permeating your clothes and so forth. I would cut those out. Just stick to powder which has a fresh scent.

When my sons were teens, they started to use body spray very heavily. And, it doesn't smell very pleasant. They put too much on and it permeated their clothes. Too much is too much. Now, they dont' use it at all and they are fine.

Solivagant said:
Could there be a funky smell in your house maybe? Smells from your house can stick to you and your clothes and follow you around. You probably wouldn't notice it if you are used to it, and neither would your dad. Do either of you smoke? Pets? Fireplace? Mustiness?

The answer is 'No' to all those questions.

delledonne11 said:
I am sorry for that situation. But, but if you are using body spray "5x a day", then that may be the issue. People don't want to smell cologne or ax. So, my guess isnt' that your smell personally but the products you are using. A clean, fresh scent is the best scent. Keeping a job is important. We all need a job to pay our bills and to have money to do what we want to do. Maybe cycling to work isnt' the best plan. If you could take a bus or drive, that might make more sense. Spraying body spray over yourself after you have cycled won't mask sweat.
There are other possible issues. Do you heat with a wood stove for instance? That has a distinct odor. And as for laundering, if you are laundering your clothes, that shouldnt' be an issue. Doesn't matter where you launder them. But, don't put them in the wash cycle and leave them sit wet for too long because clothes can get a mildewy smell if they aren't put into the dryer in a timely manner.
Anyway, even though it is upsetting, it is better to know the issue rather than have people talking about you. Again, i think the issues is probably more of the body sprays that are then permeating your clothes and so forth. I would cut those out. Just stick to powder which has a fresh scent.

When my sons were teens, they started to use body spray very heavily. And, it doesn't smell very pleasant. They put too much on and it permeated their clothes. Too much is too much. Now, they dont' use it at all and they are fine.

It's only a 2 mile cycle ride so I hardly break sweat.

I can only think it's my shoes. I will go out and either buy some new ones or some spray.

The manager had to tell this other guy a few months ago. I think there a few nasty bastards among the staff spreading lies about people.

Sometimes people are smelly because of some illness/disease or medications.

Latest posts

Back