My counsellor has observed my loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinky_cheese_dude

Reaction score
I've just started counselling - for a number of issues really. I'm not good in groups of people (any more than two and I struggle), I have deep-seated anger management issues (I turn it in at myself), and I'm just plain lonely.

Today my counsellor talked about it, as much as I wanted to. It's different writing here, but even here I don't reveal much. She found me starting to clam up when I was talking about my teens, and my twenties - both periods of my life where I struggled with a lot of social problems.

In the complete opposite to my last session, I came away feeling that typical wave of despondency and depression that precedes a massive low, and a heightened sense of social loneliness.

I don't know what my point is here - just talking about my issues made me feel a lot worse. Has anyone felt like this? Does it help to talk? I just don't see the point at the moment...

Wondering ...do you feel you missed the chance to let it out ?

I have a friend that I can see her emotional turmoil on her face
I will question her to whats going on ... she often says nothing and gets mad when I keep poking at her but then she starts talking about what ever it is
She recently said nobody had ever pursued an issue with her and got passed her being pissed off LOL
We are learning to communicate about anything rather than bottling crap up

BadGuy said:
Wondering ...do you feel you missed the chance to let it out ?

I have a friend that I can see her emotional turmoil on her face
I will question her to whats going on ... she often says nothing and gets mad when I keep poking at her but then she starts talking about what ever it is
She recently said nobody had ever pursued an issue with her and got passed her being pissed off LOL
We are learning to communicate about anything rather than bottling crap up

Oh absolutely. I've never really had the close friendships or even family (we're close, but not emotionally so) to talk to anyone. I tend to gravitate toward 1 on 1 conversations (social anxiety/ineptitude or something, counsellor's going to work on that).

I would be slightly different from your friend in that the more I'm poked, the less I'll say. If you're talking to me and I'm saying nothing, I'm actually either wanting you to go away NOW, or I'm trying to work out conversation paths by having them in my head, trying to figure out the best response. It's lead to a lot of misunderstandings and makes me even more reluctant to just say anything.

But yeah, emotional turmoil all over my face too :)

the great thing about face to face conversations especially one on one is you can pause ...use words like ..not sure if its the best way to explain ... maybe not the best word ..etc

BTW if someone is poking ..they likely care about you and what they are asking you

Latest posts

Back