Dealing with a pushy person

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiina63

Reaction score
I have written on here before about a pushy neighbour/friend but now I need to again. When someone keeps pushing me about something, I find it hard to deal with and go away from them feeling stressed out, and going over and over it in my mind. The present issue is about my ISP. My neighbour/friend told me I could get a better deal (I agree, but want to check this out at my own pace and at a time I choose) and then today phoned me and told me she had phoned my ISP on my behalf, without asking me first or telling me she was going to do this, asking them what other deals they had. She then called me and asked me how much I was paying and what sort of account I had so that she could give them full information. I didn't tell her this. I told her that I intended to change accounts later this year but that I want to do it myself. I am having a lot of building work done soon and can't deal with anything else at present. Also, she is on at me to get Now TV instead of using an aerial and I said no about this as well. I know that I stood up to her, but I still feel bulldozed by her and I also feel so angry that she is trying to take over. Her intentions are good, but I don't want to be pushed. Has anyone else had to deal with this sort of thing?

the first thing that came to mind about ISP ...she is looking to piggyback or hack into your wifi LOL

I would shut her down the minute she starts with your exact words ..thanks i know your intentions are good but you will take care of your accounts yourself
in case you dont know a simple call just asking for a better deal or a threat to cancel can get you a better deal ...they know the chance of getting a customer back if they cancel is pretty slim

Most friends would simply back off if you told them you weren't interested in signing up for a new service. Some friends or people need some extra help in making it crystal clear that you're not interested in something. Maybe they have some ulterior motive like Badguy said or they've convinced themselves that you absolutely need this. You might have to repeat yourself a few times but I would just come up with a simple response that you can say if she brings it up again. "No thanks, I'm not interested but thanks for thinking of me, I really appreciate it." And you might have to repeat the same response a few times if she doesn't get it the first time.
I know a few people like that.

-Teresa

Thank you for your replies.
BadGuy-she already has unlimited net access and WiFi so she wouldn't hack mine, if I got it.
Thank you for your suggestion that I call my ISP and ask for a better deal-this is a good idea.
Sofias mama-I think that what you say is right-she has convinced herself I absolutely need this. I told her when she started pressurising me last year that I didn't want to talk about it any more as I felt stressed out by it.
The worst thing about pushy people is that they become angry and hurt when you don't give in to them and do what they think you ought to do. She put the phone down on me when I said that I would speak to my ISP myself and that no, I wasn't getting Now TV. I spoke politely and quietly, but she behaved as if I have done something wrong.

BTW some people seeing getting a better deal rewarding

Dont let others to control your life be more courageos and put the at respect .Tell them ,this its my decision not yours

I am on the other side of this. I have to remind myself not to "help" my friend too much. Our friendship is much more important than that I "prove" that I can help. If I create an imbalance the friendship could go bye bye.

Your neighbour friend definitely sounds like she has a agenda. Maybe if you agree to have your world look like her world, she will feel like her way of doing things is then proven right? I guess it doesn't really matter why, though.

Sounds like she is getting retroactive rebates for winning new customers. Sometimes, they will give away months of free service if you get others signed up. I'd tell her to get a freaking life.

WOW Tiina, There is people like that. They think there doing good by you. But to controlling.
I look way younger then I am. I moved out of home when I was 20. Sometimes when people would come to my door like sails men and stuff like that they would ask if my parents where at home. I was about 30 years old the last time that happened.

When I first moved out cos I still looked like a kid you might say, well a few of the neighbors that where in the flats where I was now living tried to get me to do things there way a lot too. Now when your young you make mistakes and sometimes that advice is welcomed. But I would say that I got more brains then most of the people that lived there. I did not know that then.

I did learn one thing. Sometimes you have to learn to just be rude. It really is as simple has that.
Now you come across has a supper nice person. So being an arse hole wont come easy to you and am sure you dont wont to be like that.
If it was me I would just act a prick towards her. She get the message in the end.
You dont have to go out of your way to course an argument or anything. Just learn to have an attitude that will make her think there is no point in trying to control you. Anyway thats me. That dont mean that would be the best thing for you to do. but thast how I got 2 of my neighbors to back of from me 20 years ago now. All tho i would say i was a bit more pushy then I had to be and possibly the use of colorful language might not had been needed :p But sometimes you just gotta have fun with this people :)

How can she even call them on another account that's not her own? Or have the information for? I call things that are actually in my own name and I have to jump through flaming hoops to get anything done. I'd tell her to back off. Some people think that because they believe they know better, that they can tell you what to do. That irritates me to no end, and I'm sorry, but I wouldn't even care for hurt feelings. I would tell her that I didn't require her assistance and that she needs to worry about her own bills. Being firm about it is probably the only way to really get it through to this person, and even then, they may not fully understand that they don't need to interfere with someone's bills.

Latest posts

Back