Happy Birthday to me :(

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-1000

Reaction score
Well, I hit the big 21 today. I think this has to be the 6th consecutive birthday where I just wasted it away alone. I only wish I had a couple or even just a single friend to spend the day with. It would've been nice if my dad had remembered and wished me, but it's alright, I guess. However, the one positive that arose from this day is the excuse for having cake. I got a small coffee walnut cake from the supermarket last night knowing that I would have to eat it alone. How pathetic...

Sorry for babbling.

Has anyone else had similar birthday experiences?

happy birthday! i'm sure i will have this once i'm moved out of my parent's house. at least now alcohol can be your friend, maybe even weed depending on your state

Even since I was little my birthdays were bad or no one remembers them. As an adult I cant wait for the day to be over. Its just another day. Youll have many more great days it doesnt just have to be on your birthday. One day youll come across someone that will remember and care that its your birthday

Happy birthday bro!

Personally I've never celebrated birthdays even when I lived at home with family. I would never buy them stuff for birthdays so my parents usually bought stuff for me to give as a present. Now I live alone I don't even notice it's my birthday as every day is the same for me.

Happy 21st birthday.
I second what HybridWarrior said-hopefully you will have many great days to come and will one day meet someone who remembers your birthday.

Late happy birthday from me (sorry I didn't check the forums yesterday)! What everyone above has said is very true. I've never had a single birthday party or anything special (in the popular sense of the word) done for me and I'm nearly 25. I don't expect people to do anything either. I prefer no parties (always hated them) or anything that puts me on the spot, so it works out anyway.

My family has still never forgotten and I feel very blessed for that - before I moved abroad it was our little tradition to just go and eat out at the birthday boy/girls choice of restaurant or often times just a fast food place. We laugh and make light of the fact that's all we do while others have huge dos over their birthday, but in all seriousness we all prefer the way we are. Quiet, reserved, deeper thinkers that appreciate the small things. As I've said in other posts, I find the majority of people's "friends" are just people to be entertained with i.e. ignore the deeper things in life and when something critical does come along those "friends" suddenly scarper. So when you look at other peoples ways of celebrating (or anything really), try to remember that it's probably not all it's cracked up to be.

I have also noticed that most people today have the attention span of a humming bird and once one entertainment/distraction is over they're onto the next, so really are any of these days special to them like they might be for us since we stop to notice who's thought of us? I'm starting to ramble now, but I suppose my point is, hold on for that 1 person, or maybe more, who'll inevitably show up in your life and really appreciate you. Those are the people worth living for, IMPH.

I hope your birthday went well. If it makes you feel any better, I was pretty miserable on my 18th birthday because I had lost touch with a special friend not long prior to it, and spent my 21st birthday sick at home with a sore throat and a body ache. Hang in there, you'll have better ones ahead.

For the last 10 years or so, that's pretty much how my birthday goes. I get really nervous hoping no relatives will remember/call me, because that only makes me feel even worse.

Happy Birthday! :)

About similar experience - I was alone and crying my soul out my last birthday, and I decided that I'll never do that again. :)

I just wanted to wish you all the best,
and a couple of loving people for your next birthday.

Your Birthday's passed but best wishes linger in our hearts not just for the day but every day it's within our grasp ... (Blinking heck....This is a worrying development for me). : )

Happy Birthday!

I have never liked birthdays but my ex girlfriend and I had a tradition for mine which went on for many years. Since we broke up quite a while back, I've ignored my birthday, took the day off work and turned my phone off just yo stay away from everyone. That was until my last birthday in which my sister, her friend and her young daughter gate crashed my house and had a really fab wee party. Those three don't realise how much that meant to me!

Needless the say, I'll be having me next on my own because to be honest, it's the way I like it :)

Birthdays are stupid now for adults. It's for kids. Just eat some cake and ice cream and blame Jesus for a sad day for most people.

I just turned 19 last week, and my experience was pretty similar.

I went to work and told no one it was my birthday because i didnt want anyone to know i had no plans/friends on my birthday. I felt so pathetic.

enjoy the small things in life and know we are here to support you through everything.

I hope things get better for you man. :)

Bubblebeam said:
Late happy birthday from me (sorry I didn't check the forums yesterday)! What everyone above has said is very true. I've never had a single birthday party or anything special (in the popular sense of the word) done for me and I'm nearly 25. I don't expect people to do anything either. I prefer no parties (always hated them) or anything that puts me on the spot, so it works out anyway.

My family has still never forgotten and I feel very blessed for that - before I moved abroad it was our little tradition to just go and eat out at the birthday boy/girls choice of restaurant or often times just a fast food place. We laugh and make light of the fact that's all we do while others have huge dos over their birthday, but in all seriousness we all prefer the way we are. Quiet, reserved, deeper thinkers that appreciate the small things. As I've said in other posts, I find the majority of people's "friends" are just people to be entertained with i.e. ignore the deeper things in life and when something critical does come along those "friends" suddenly scarper. So when you look at other peoples ways of celebrating (or anything really), try to remember that it's probably not all it's cracked up to be.

I have also noticed that most people today have the attention span of a humming bird and once one entertainment/distraction is over they're onto the next, so really are any of these days special to them like they might be for us since we stop to notice who's thought of us? I'm starting to ramble now, but I suppose my point is, hold on for that 1 person, or maybe more, who'll inevitably show up in your life and really appreciate you. Those are the people worth living for, IMPH.

Your words are very warm. Thanks for it. I do also think that most of the times, people are at parties just to get wasted and have a very intense but short experience. Music to me is divine, but the problem is losing control over alcohol. And I say this as I drink my second bottle. Why? Because I am alone in NY. I am from Brazil, btw - pleased to meet everyone here. We are all here for one reason: to live and study existence; to open our minds and hearts to the fact that we exist and and that we are living a physical life as humans.

So, I entering a more spiritual life, but life's frustrrations - like loneliness - cause me to lose control. To me, the real lesson of loneliness is to always have people around you that really connect to you. People who are in the same frequency as we are.

And that could be (idk) a constructive comment of mine to you, dear poster (will scroll up and find your name. Haha this is funny). H-1000. Live life as your Higher Self (we all know what that is) wishes you to live and wait until you find some one who really cares about you and can connect with you in levels you just wouldn't imagine. Meanwhile, you have us to talk to.

Happy Birthday. Don't worry about it too much. Its better to spend your birthday alone than with fake friends. I should know...

Also spending your birthday with a friend or two is quite normal. I've done so when I was 14 and 20. Now that I'm gonna be 25 soon, I don't even want a party. I just wanna have a nice dinner with either my parents or my pet cat. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Yep, I've spent many birthdays alone. If not for the obligatory call from my parents, nobody knew.

I've sung 'Happy birthday to me' many times as I stared out the window watching the world go by.

Latest posts

Back