How to feel happy?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well wish I knew. To be around supportive and postive people, and loving relationship. Is one. But..that is hard to attain. So...your guess is as good as mine right now

Why would being happy not be worth it?

Restless soul said:
A better title would be.. "how to feel happy without meds"

How would that be a better title? You don't need drugs to be happy. There's no implication that he meant drugs either....

TheRealCallie said:
How would that be a better title? You don't need drugs to be happy. There's no implication that he meant drugs either....

You are diverting it off topic. Its a humble request that you don't do that. Thanks.

sothatwasmylife said:
Don't know...would a frontal lobotomy help ?...not really something we have control over

Look who replied. I am so happy. You made my day. I read all of your posts. I always wished that you would reply to me.

I haven't heard about frontal lobotomy, but I will read about it. Thanks for your help.

TheRealCallie said:
Why would being happy not be worth it?

Restless soul said:
A better title would be.. "how to feel happy without meds"

That was my spin. Was being tongue in cheek. He didn't mind. He appreciated the reply. Don't be such a contrarian, callie

M_also_lonely said:
sothatwasmylife said:
Don't know...would a frontal lobotomy help ?...not really something we have control over

Look who replied. I am so happy. You made my day. I read all of your posts. I always wished that you would reply to me.

I haven't heard about frontal lobotomy, but I will read about it. Thanks for your help.
That's so kind of you thanks... money's in the post : )

I think happiness is overrated. I mean, i think if you spend a lot of time seeking it and that becomes the end goal, that it is very elusive. Some of us aren't the Sunshine Pumping Cheerleaders of Life. And, that's OK. I think it is better to be OK with who you are and embrace your life and what you like about you. If you are seeking life with enthusiasm then i think happiness comes as a result. Once i regained my enthusiasm, now i have fun.

dd11 said:
I think happiness is overrated. I mean, i think if you spend a lot of time seeking it and that becomes the end goal, that it is very elusive. Some of us aren't the Sunshine Pumping Cheerleaders of Life. And, that's OK. I think it is better to be OK with who you are and embrace your life and what you like about you. If you are seeking life with enthusiasm then i think happiness comes as a result. Once i regained my enthusiasm, now i have fun.

Yep sunshine pumping cheerleaders sounds pretty taxing...better to opt for mildly entertaining introvert : )

I haven't been happy very much at all over the years, but the few occasions I was there it happened without me trying to be happy. Striving after happiness is kind of like trying to go to sleep....if I have to work at it, I've probably already missed the boat.

Even while feeling like honeysuckle most of the days, There are still alot of things that make me happy!
Like having a chat with a stranger, Listening to music, A nice sunny day, And so on.
Speaking for myself Happiness lays in the small things that you enjoy, You just have to find them :)

Here's a great exercise to learn about what you should do to feel happy:

So I'm going to give you an incomplete sentence, and your job is to finish the sentence with the first thought that comes to your mind. Continue to do this, until you have finished the sentence at least 6 times (but 10 is preferably).

The trick is that you need to write quickly, and write the first thing that comes to your mind, without thinking about what would happen, if it makes sense, consequences, etc. Just write the very first thing that pops into your head, and do it 6 - 10 times.

For example:

Given this sentence:

If I wanted to feel happy, one of the things I could do is -

Finish the sentence with the first thought that pops into your head, 6-10 times.

If I wanted to feel happy, one of the things I could do is -
Finish the website that i'm working on tonight and deploy it.
listen to my affirmations.
order some food.
go to the dating meetup tomorrow morning.
teach other people how to feel happy and get the things that they want in their lives.
get the things that I want in my life.
stop moping around in self pity.
take action towards the things that I want in my life.
work on my website tonight and finish it.

So there you go. The key is to write quickly, and write the first thoughts that come to your mind.

Try the exercise with the incomplete sentence above, and see what responses you get. Then do one or two of the things that you wrote down, and see how you feel. It's suggested to do this exercise in private (or with a loved one), for maximum effectiveness.

Good luck.

edit:
If this works for you, make a habit to do this exercise every morning for the next 2 weeks. At the end of the 2 weeks, see if you're any happier in your life. Make note of the things that you've learned about yourself.

Latest posts

Back