Writing Exercise to heal loneliness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nethic

Reaction score
I have an interesting exercise I'd like to share with you guys. It can be used to identify how we contribute to our own loneliness, and possibly to help find solutions to how we can solve this problem and heal ourselves from the horrible pain that is loneliness.

The exercise is called Sentence Completion. Given an incomplete sentence, your task is to finish the sentence 6-10 times with the first thought that comes to your mind.

The goal of the exercise is to complete the sentence by just writing the very first thought that comes to your mind, as rapidly as you can. You do this 6 to 10 times over. If you get stuck, invent. Do not think about what you are writing about. Don't worry about whether what you write is true or false, just finish the sentence. Some endings will be more true than others, you will know which ones they are.

One of the ways I keep myself lonely is by -

If I allow myself to connect with others -

The good thing about feeling lonely is -

The bad thing about feeling lonely is -

If I am more accepting of my desire for human connection -

One of the things I could do to connect to another human being today is - 

I am becoming aware -

Do them rapidly, in quick succession. Ideally, you should start a journal with these exercises and do them every day - and continue doing them until your loneliness improves. Hopefully they will provide you with some action steps as to what you can do to feel better, and cure yourself from loneliness.

Good luck and take care of yourselves.

- One of the ways I keep myself lonely is by staying in my room all day long.
- If I allow myself to connect with others it's annoying.
- The good thing about feeling lonely is nothing.. silence, maybe?
- The bad thing about feeling lonely is it sucks.
- If I am more accepting of my desire for human connection I may have more people to talk to.
- One of the things I could do to connect to another human being today is ...... huh.. lol
- I am becoming aware that I can't think of a way to complete the previous sentence XD

Nethic said:
One of the ways I keep myself lonely is by -

If I allow myself to connect with others -

The good thing about feeling lonely is -

The bad thing about feeling lonely is -

If I am more accepting of my desire for human connection -

One of the things I could do to connect to another human being today is - 

I am becoming aware -

-my own lack of interest and motivation.

-I risk losing them.

-N/A

-I don't forget the people who left.

-see number 2.

-be the first one to greet them.

-that I need to change myself if I want my life to get better.

Latest posts

Back