How to be interesting?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M_also_lonely

Reaction score
How to make people like you?
And how do make people care for you?
Yes the obvious answers would be, 'If you want people to care for you, you care for them." Sorry, that hasn't worked for me.
How to make people ask you things about you?
Like how are you?
etc.
Like, "How was your day?" etc. ?

Have hobbies, be passionate about something, travel the world, learn new languages... or Idk wear a hat and a beard or sumthn wotever

hobbies = already have a couple of them.
passionate = I don't know how passion works
travel the world = no money for that
learn new languages = I already know 7 lannguages.

Nothing helped me. And the people who are loved by everyone, or whom other people are curious about, don't have all of these.

Have better hobbies. Doing not consuming.
Be cultured.
Have a wide range of knowledge and interests so you always have something to add to the conversation no matter where it goes. (Goes with being cultured)
Ask follow up questions whenever someone says something.

You can't make someone ask about you, even if you are a rather interesting person. Not everyone will care or has to care.

M_also_lonely said:
How to make people like you?
And how do make people care for you?
Yes the obvious answers would be, 'If you want people to care for you, you care for them." Sorry, that hasn't worked for me.
How to make people ask you things about you?
Like how are you?
etc.
Like, "How was your day?" etc. ?

The best way to be interesting is to be interested. Why don't you try asking people "how are you" and "how was your day" instead of passively waiting for people to ask you those questions?
People love to talk about themselves and their lives.
It may seem counterintuitive but showing interest in others will make you seem more interesting.

So, to be interesting you need to be interested in uninteresting things?

I'm not sure that being interesting leads to people liking you. In fact, the type of people I wouldn't consider that interesting often integrate the most easily on a social level because they don't really have anything about them that would alienate others.

SofiasMami said:
Xpendable said:

Other people are uninteresting things? My deepest sympathies to you.

The uninteresting things are what they say, and yes, lets not pretend a big part of the population is interesting, specially when we are specifically making the proposition that asking "How are you?" it's a sure way to find excitement.

Paraiyar said:
I'm not sure that being interesting leads to people liking you. In fact, the type of people I wouldn't consider that interesting often integrate the most easily on a social level because they don't really have anything about that would alienate others.

Exactly.

Xpendable said:
Paraiyar said:
I'm not sure that being interesting leads to people liking you. In fact, the type of people I wouldn't consider that interesting often integrate the most easily on a social level because they don't really have anything about that would alienate others.

Exactly.

This is basically what I said. It's better to be interestED than attempt to be interesting. I'm happy to see we agree.

Xpendable said:
SofiasMami said:
Xpendable said:

The uninteresting things are what they say, and yes, lets not pretend a big part of the population is interesting, specially when we are specifically making the proposition that asking "How are you?" it's a sure way to find excitement.

Ok, sure. If what you're doing is working, who am I to suggest something different? You do you.

SofiasMami said:
Xpendable said:
Paraiyar said:

Exactly.

This is basically what I said. It's better to be interestED than attempt to be interesting. I'm happy to see we agree.

That's the opposite. We can't force ourselves to be interested. As paraiyar said, the less interesting you are, the more popular you are. I'm not going to put an act to think chit chat is a reward.

Xpendable said:
SofiasMami said:
Xpendable said:
Paraiyar said:

Exactly.

That's the opposite. We can't force ourselves to be interested. As paraiyar said, the less interesting you are, the more popular you are. I'm not going to put an act to think chit chat is a reward.

"I can't force myself to be interested". I would say you speak only for Xpendable, not me or the general population.

SofiasMami said:
Xpendable said:

I know what he said. What he meant to say is that "To be interesting, you need to be interested in things that you don't like? So that your *interests* and theirs turn out to be matching?"

Don't make assumptions.

Xpendable said:
I think you and Paraiyar are right. I have tried, but I can't force myself in being interested in something. But on the other hand, if people are not interested in me (since they cannot force themselves to do so) , and I can't force anyone to be interested, then it would mean that there is no solution?

Latest posts

Back