Real Life Emotiional Stories (from blogs)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sanal

One Word
Posted by cherry on December 2, 2005 - 10:35
from the ABC set Emotional Stories

Jamie stared out the window. Even though she had been at this house since she was a baby, She felt a stranger to this neighbourhood. The tree shaking the last of its leaves from the high branches, the dog tied to the leash in the backyard, nothing seemed to be like she remembered. Watching the rain pouring down outside made tears swell in her brown eyes. Her knotted brown hair sticking to her wet face. A sudden beep echoed around her. Slowly, she made her way to the bathroom. She didn't want to see it but she had to know.
Holding the stick in her hand, she could only stare. She wanted to cry but she had no tears left inside her. This was like a nightmare she could not wake up from.
The big positive "+ that stared back at Jamie teased her. Looking closely at the box she double-checked to make sure she had done it right. Unfortunately she followed everything. There was no mistake. This was the result. How could she have let this happen to her? It was all her fault and she knew it.
"Jamie, a voice called from the kitchen. "Can you come and help please?
"Coming, Jamie called as she pushed the evidence to the bottom of the bin.
"What have you been up to? Jamie's mother asked, peering over a bag of groceries. "Is everything okay?
"Fine, Jamie turned to put the groceries away. "I was just doing homework.

Jamie sat in the corner looking at her lunch. She tried to have another bite but she couldn't force herself to swallow. Their snickers echoed around her. There was nowhere to hide. Everywhere she looked reminded her of that night.
"You skank, a girl slammed her hand down on Jamie's table. Sarah had once been Jamie's friend but now she'd rather that Jamie was dead. "How dare you show your face?
Jamie kept her eyes lowered to her sandwich. No matter how hard she tried to ignore Sarah, she would not leave her alone.
"Listen to me you, slut, Sarah knocked Jamie's lunch off the table, forcing Jamie to look her in her eyes. "It's your fault Rick left me, how could you? I thought you were my friend?
"But I didn't.
"I know what went on between you two.
"It wasn't¦
"You'll pay for this.
Everyone in the cafeteria now stared at them.

Jamie had to be alone; she did not know where she was going. After school she just walked. She had to get away from their looks. Her feet dragging on the pavement as she moved, heavy with the weight of her troubles.
Jamie looked at where she was. She stood in front of a second hand shop. Looking through the shopfront window she could see the shop was filled with old trinkets that someone had once found valuable. Jamie decided to go in and look. She did need something to cheer her up and take her mind off her predicament.
The shop was filled with old clothes that had more holes than there was fabric. The darkened corner was stuffed with an antique table, chipped and cracked, needing attention. The shelves were lined with dusty boxes and trinkets of memories from the past. Jamie spotted an old wooded case that was hand painted and had a picture of a mother holding her child on the lid. There was something about this box that made Jamie want to buy it, this could have been because of the girl on the front. The small girl appeared to be looking at Jamie, tears streaming down her face. Jamie could relate to the emotion of this child, but she was only an image on the front of a box.

Jamie stood in front of the mirror, her reflection screaming at her. Jamie didn't know how long it would be before everyone could see her shame. The nightmare still played through her mind. No matter how hard she screamed he was still there, she could not escape him. Hands everywhere. The pain from his touch. Not stopping. Not listening. He kept coming. Whispering 'This is what you want'. And now this. No one would understand how she felt. This was her fault, Sarah was right everything was her fault.
Jamie picked the box up to examine it more closely. There was something odd with it. The inside did not seem as deep as it looked. Jamie felt around the bottom until she found a small groove that allowed her to release a secret compartment. Startled at what she saw Jamie could only stare at a small book at the bottom of the box.
As Jamie lifted the small book up, a dust cloud surrounded her. This book was older than anything she had ever seen. Apart from the books shabby appearance, the faded green cover barely holding the book together and the torn yellow pages, surprisingly the words inside were clearly visible in black ink as if it was just written. Flicking through the pages the ink got darker. Red satins appeared on the pages towards the end of the writing and the words were barely legible. Jamie knew that whoever wrote inside this book must have been through a great ordeal and this book must be something very important to the writer. Turning to the first page Jamie laid on her bed and started to read.

¦What have I done? My mind is consumed with guilt. Perhaps they are right, this could be the work of the devil but I did not want him. I tried to resist him but his power was just too great. People say the cruellest thing about this and I do not want to end up like the others have. I know what happened to them. I am not like the others¦
Jamie looked around. She had just been reading the book. The pages of the diary dissolved in front of Jamie's eyes, now she could swear she was standing in a medieval town square, people had gathered and were all watching and yelling at one girl. No longer just reading the story, Jamie was now seeing the story. The story of the girl that had put her tears and blood into writing this very diary. Jamie now looked at this girl. Her long red hair brushing against her wet face. She had been crying. Her hands rubbing her stomach, a small bulge could be seen behind her dress. Brigitta moved slowly towards the front of a crowd that had gathered. All the eyes were on her as she moved.
"There she is, one woman screamed from the crowd. "She is carrying his child.
"The spawn of Satan is what she carries, another voice pierced through the whispers of the crowd.
"Witch, screams erupted from the crowd.

A knock at the door startled Jamie back to reality. Her mother poked her head inside.
"Are you okay? Her mother asked in a concerned voice. "You barely said anything when you got home from school.
"I'm fine, Jamie snapped.
"You know you can talk to me if you ever got into any trouble, Jamie's mother spoke in a sincere voice that was bitter to Jamie's ears. "If you ever needed to talk you could talk to me.
Jamie could not listen to her mother any more; she turned away from the door and lay in silence until she heard her mother close the door again. She wished she could talk to her mother, but she wouldn't understand. The guilt itself was overwhelming. How could she tell her mother she got into this trouble? Jamie lifted the book once more and began to read.

¦I do not know how much longer I can go. What do they want me to tell them? The questions they ask I do not know the answers to, but I do know they are only after one answer. Should I give them the satisfaction and just tell them what they want to hear, perhaps they are right. They have made a good argument. I cannot answer them who the father of my child is. It must be the devil, there is no other conclusion as to why I am in this predicament. Perhaps I am evil and need to be saved from myself and from him¦
Just like before, the pages vanished and Jamie now watched a scene unfold. Jamie did not know how this was possible but the emotion of Brigitta was fused within the diary, she did not know if she was still actually reading or seeing the memories from this dead girl. Brigitta stood before her interrogator. His hands smothering her bare body. No clothes were left to hide her terrible secrets. Slowly her eyes started to close but this guy would not let that happen.
"Stay awake you evil child, the man violently shook her. "You must recant the devil and your soul will be saved.
"But I¦
"You are expecting a child but you do not have a husband.
"I do not¦
"We must prove that you are in pact with the devil, the man grabbed Brigitta roughly and plunged her hand into a scolding liquid. Brigitta cringed; the pain was too much to bare but she just bit down on her tongue, she did not want to give him the pleasure of screaming in agony. She could taste a mouthful of blood as she fought back her screams. "If you do not have any scars after three days then you are innocent but if your hands remained shrivelled then you must pay the penalty for your wicked crimes.

Jamie awoke, her body trembling, drenched in a hot sweat. It was pitch black outside. Quickly she flicked on the light. It was only 2 a.m. but she didn't want to close her eyes. He was there, in the shadows, waiting for her. There was nowhere she could be safe. He haunted her dreams. He made her think of him every waking moment as well as the moments she slept. How could she fight a memory? He will always linger with her and there was no way to escape.
Grabbing the book Jamie took comfort with the only other person she could relate to.

¦They are still searching for a confession. I do not know how many days I have been here or how long I will be able to stop myself from giving them what they want. My only escape from my life is writing. The days are long. The hours last forever. Sleep is a luxury that has become unknown to me. Please let me know what I have done to deserve all of this. But then I do know, it is growing inside of me. Why do they not kill me? All that I have been subjected to I wished it would have killed me, but they do not want me dead, not until I confess¦
Slowly he moved the cold blade across her face. Smooth metal touching her soft, dirty skin. Brigitta was helpless. Her hands bound, she could not move. He moved closer to her. His breath warm against her neck.
"See this blade, he whispered softly in her ear. "This will take away your powers, we will see how strong you are once you have been blooded.
Her interrogator moved the blade across her face. The blade cut deep, this time drawing blood, from chin to cheek. The sticky red liquid dripped down her face. Her interrogator looked back with a sadistic smile stretched across his face.
Brigitta spat at his feet, a mixture of saliva and blood. The interrogator laughed as he watched the red streaming liquid drip to the floor.
"A witch's power is in her blood, he preached. "I will be glad to watch your powers fade with every drop of blood that you lose.

It had been a long night of tossing and turning, Jamie still could not get to sleep. Now she had to face everyone at school. She wished she could crawl up in a hole and forget this nightmare.
When Jamie reached her locker she couldn't hold back the tears, blinding her vision. Everyone around her whispered. They were pointing at her. They were laughing at her. Jamie tried to turn her head away but the large black writing on her locker screamed at her. Reminding her of what she had done. The one word that she could not escape from. Staring back at her was the word SLUT scribbled across her locker.
"Told you you would pay, Sarah pushed Jamie into her locker. "Everyone will know what you did.
"Fight, students roared with excitement. "Fight.
Jamie fought her way past Sarah and the crowd that had gathered, she did not want to stop running. She could not see through the tears, but she didn't stop.
Sitting under the shelter of a tree she took comfort once again with the story of Brigitta.

¦Please take me away from this nightmare. Oh God, what have I done to deserve this? It must be me. I brought this on. I let him take me. The devil is the one who did this to me. I am carrying his child. There is not other explanation. I am evil and I will pay for letting this happen to me. Please let it end. Let it be over. I only beg that God will forgive my sins when everything is over¦
"There is another one, the interrogator screamed towards a bug that scurried past. "They keep coming for you and you still deny being a witch.
"But¦
"Deny it all you can but you cannot fool me, the interrogator circled around the filthy dungeon where Brigitta was being held. "All those bugs, rats and spiders were all your imps coming to your rescue.
"They are not.
"Stop lying.
"I'm not.
"Say you're a witch.
"No.
"Say it.
"No.
"Say it, the interrogator hit her in the head, knocking her to the ground. "Insolent girl we will make you confess.
Grabbing her furiously he dragged her over to a coffin-shaped box that stood as tall as her. Slowly he opened the door and pushed her inside. Brigitta felt sharp spikes pierce her skin.
"Maybe spending a few days in here will change your mind, the interrogator slammed the door on her.
Strong smells of rotten meat and blood filled her nose. Brigitta could not move. If she attempted to the spikes would drive themselves deeper into her skin. Brigitta tried to stay awake but the pain was unbearable. She did not know if she would ever see the light again but she didn't care. She just wanted it to end.

School could not end too soon. It was not just that her friends all hated her or the whispers she got in the hall as she passed, it was the way everyone looked at her. They all looked at her with disgust and hatred, and they didn't even know what happened. They did not want to know her side of the story. She knew that she was the one at fault here, this was why everyone hated her.
Jamie slowly opened the door to her house; she could not stay away any longer.
"You thought you could hide this, her father stood in the hall holding the pregnancy test. "You little slut.
"It's not what it looks like, Jamie tried to explain. "Please listen to me.
"I don't want to hear it, her father swung at her, throwing her back against the wall.
"Stop it, her mother came to her defence.
"Stop protecting the slut, he screamed.
"Leave me alone, Jamie screamed, running to her room and slamming the door shut.
This nightmare will never end. It still played in her mind like a video in slow motion. Everything she looked at reminded her of him. Now this thing growing inside her, he would never leave her. Jamie screamed swinging her arms about furiously she just wanted to forget. Knocking things from off the shelves. Slamming her fists against the walls to forget, but nothing she did would let her forget. Body trembling she collapsed in a corner and sobbed. It wouldn't go away. This feeling of worthlessness would never go away and she hated it. She would do anything to go back to that night and do it differently, anything that would have stopped this from becoming her reality.

¦I am struggling to write this entry. My hands are no longer useful. The only way I can write this diary is to bribe one of the guards that are keeping me here with the little things that I have left in this world. It pains me to write these words but this is the only solace that I can find, everyone has abandoned me and all I have left is this, please do not take this away from me. These people take pleasure in watching the accused suffer. I am not alone. Many other people are here, people that I have known to be good. There is even a Priest among the accused. He cries day and night, praying that they will not touch his family. Eventually they will saying that they too are in league with the devil for standing by him. His God has abandoned him and there is no one left to help him. Please let this merciless killing stop¦
Brigitta tried not to look at the sight that was visible from the cell's window. The twisted and mangled bodies hanging lifeless. It was over in a quick instance. Now silence. The crowd that had gathered to watch this execution was no longer there. This was nothing more than a public spectacle. They watched the life drain from these people. People that they knew. People that had once offered them a helping hand.
There hung Father Jeremy. He had been present at her baptism. He had offered her council in her hardest times. And now all that was left of him was this figure that did not resemble the kind priest that she had once known. His face cut and mangled. Bone could be seen sticking out from his feet. Inside his open mouth only the teeth could be seen. As a prize of his confession the interrogator took his tongue. Brigitta could not bear this sight any longer.
Brigitta looked down at her bloody fingers. The excruciating pain caused her vision to be doubled. The things they had done to her were too horrible for words, she could only stare at her fingers. The way they ripped the fingernails from her trembling fingers. One by one. They smiled as they did this act. Now Jamie watched as her interrogator passed a thin needle under the flame of a lit candle.
Brigitta looked away as they took the needle and drove it through the quicks of her fingers. Pain coursed through her body. She just wanted to be sick. The more she screamed the farther they jabbed the needles in. They continued this until Brigitta had collapsed, her body motionless and twisted as they kicked her aside and moved on to their next victim.

Jamie did not know how long she had been out here. She just didn't want to go home. There was nowhere she could be safe. There was no one she could trust. She didn't know where to turn. Lost in thought she didn't see the shadowy figure creep up on her.
"What did you say? A firm hand grabbed her around her arm, pulling her behind a brick wall.
"Nothing.
"You better not have, Rick snarled, pushing her hard against the brick wall. "You brought it on, it's your fault.
"But¦
"You know you flirted with me and the way you dressed, you liked it and now you expect me to get you out of this trouble.
"But I'm pregnant.
"You can't prove it's mine.
"But I said no, Jamie lowered her eyes to the ground. "I said no.
"You were asking for it, you can't blame me for the way you looked. It's your fault.
"I trusted¦
"I warn you'll be sorry if you tell anyone this, you'll really be sorry.
Jamie pushed out of his grip. She was running. She had to get away from him.
As soon as Jamie got home she jumped in the shower. Scrubbing as hard as she could, she tried to get the dirt off. It was still there. No matter what she did, the dirt would not wash off. Jamie's skin was red raw. Her body weak and numb, she could only curl up in the fetal position and grab for the journal.

¦I am so tired. Just writing this is taking the rest of my strength but if I stop I will have nothing. I do not know how much more I can take. I do not know what to believe anymore. They are right. I am a witch. They have made me come to see this. Why else would they treat me this way? I have to confess to it. If not to save my soul then to have this stop. I will tell them what they want to hear¦
"It is true, Brigitta weakly screamed. "He came to me in the night, he showed me pleasures that no person has ever dreamt of,
"He promised me things if I gave him my body and soul, and I did. No one could stop me. He kept coming for me, the man in black that is what he was, he wanted more than my body. He wanted me to birth his child,
"And I agreed. That is who the father of my child is and if I had my powers we would show you no mercy. May the thunder strike you down where you stand and you rot in hell for doing this to me. Brigitta spat at her tormentor.
"I always knew we would get the confession, he smiled as he pushed her away. "May God take pity on your soul even though you do not deserve it.
Brigitta sat on the ground as she watched him stride away. A sudden feeling of dread crept over her body as she became aware of what she had just done.

Jamie stared in the mirror. Her naked body disgusted her.
"Why didn't you stop him? Jamie screamed at her reflection. Jamie slammed her fist into the mirror. The glass showered her. Blood gushed from her cut hand. "Why didn't you do something?
Jamie just wanted everything to end. She had had enough of this. She could not understand why this was happening to her. She had done nothing wrong but she should have stopped him. He was everywhere. This feeling was just too much to bare. Consumed with guilt she could not stand this. No matter what she did he would still be there. Her body reminded her of this. No one could remove the memory of that night, no one could take it away. There was only one way to forget. Only one way to end it.
Jamie quickly pulled the medication cabinet open. In front of her eyes were all the medications that her parents had. It would be quick. She was determined. This would take all her pain away. Jamie pulled all of the bottles onto the ground. collapsing to the ground in defeat she reached for the journal one last time.

...The moment had finally arrived. They have told me what they will do to me. They said they must. They will take this child away from me before they take me. Oh please, God forgive my sins. Please let this cleanse my soul so that I will not pay for this all eternity. This will be my last entry. I do not know if anyone will ever get to read this, if anyone will ever learn of my story. But if by any chance they do please do not let this happen to you. Forced to admit that I was the one to blame. I could not have changed what happened to me. Please listen to me. I am and have always been innocent. The man who caused my predicament was not the devil but he is just as bad. If my words can help another soul find peace then my life would not have been wasted in vain¦
Brigitta lay on a wooden table. Her face was bruised, cut and swollen. Cuts covered her body. Her fingers were pink and bloody. She didn't have the strength to move. Three men circled her as she lay.
"We must kill the devil's child, one man lifted a knife and lowered it towards Brigitta's stomach.
"It must not live.
Brigitta tried to scream but her voice was hoarse from all the torture she had endured. The countless days that they had attacked her for a confession. They did not care if the confession was legitimate or brought on by this torture, they only cared that they had the confession. She closed her eyes so she did not have to look at what they were doing. She could feel them inside her, ripping her unborn child from her weak, broken body. She knew that the pain would be unbearable if her body was not weak and numb.
Bloody hands wrenched her from off the table. Her body was weak and trembling. This was it. She knew where they were taking her. The thick ropes chafed her neck. It was only a matter of time before the ropes would tighten, taking the last of her breath¦

Jamie slammed the book closed. A feeling of nausea crept over her body. She just had to be sick. This was either the feeling of what she had seen or what she had growing inside her. Unlike Brigitta's ordeal Jamie finally understood that she did have a choice. She did not have to stand by and take the blame for this. Looking back at the story of Brigitta she could identify that she was similar to this girl. It all started with one word.
"Jamie, a knocking sounded at the bathroom door. "Are you okay in there?
Jamie stood up and opened the door. Her mother gave her a worried look as she spotted all of the medicine bottles lying on the ground. "Oh Jamie.
"I'm sorry mum, Jamie broke down into tears. "I need your help.
Jamie's mother wrapped her daughter in a towel and held her. This was enough for the moment. The love of her mother was making her forget about all the problems of this life. But she would have to go and get help. She could not let this happen to someone else. But for right now this hug would do. There wasn't much different between the word "witch and that of "slut, both words lead to the scarring and blame after what they had been through and could have ended in death if she had not realised this in time.

*A dentist's daughter posted this in her blog*

Days of My Life

Talk about daily life of a teenage girl in Iraq, and days of suffering and success. My nick name will be Sunshine..
Saturday, May 20, 2006
Emotional story ...

Hello friends , My mom published this post on her blog , it is very emotional story . Stories like this makes me more determined to help the people in the villages , because they do need help.

Hello
Last day I arrived my work an hour and a half late because of the very crowded road near the gate's check point …
An old woman and 10 years old boy with school bag on his back were waiting for me.
I treated the old lady first, and then asked the boy to get in. He was pale & shaking. He sat on the dental chair and pointed inside his mouth, and said "this is very painful".
I looked and saw nothing, I knew he was confused and pointed to the wrong side; I looked to the opposite side and saw a badly carious tooth.
I told him that we need to extract this tooth, he shake his head for approval.
"But we need to have the approval from some one older than you my dear" I said. "Any one from your family as your parents, older brother or sister, aunt, uncle, or even a neighbor ".I added.

He stepped from the chair in an attempt to leave, with his eyes full of tears, and said nothing.
-"Are you coming back with someone later? I asked.
-"no, I have no one".
-"With whom do you live?".
-"With my younger brother, he is Mongolian".
-I grip his shaky hands and took him to the patio, and asked him to look around, to the other functionaries; (they live in the same village), and asked him if he knew any one?.
Few minutes later he pointed to a man, he was one of the servants" H".
I sent for" H", and told him that I need some one of Salih' relatives because his tooth need to be extracted. He said "I am his fathers' cousin, I can stay with him because he has no One close…his older brother who was taking care of him was murdered 3 days ago"…
-why?
- He was a policeman…
-"Are you hungry, did you have your breakfast honey?" I asked Salih trying so hard to hold my tears.( I had to ask because he was pale and he could show symptoms of hypoglycemia if he was hungry, he could faint too after dental treatment).
- " no I did not , the neighbors did not bring us any". he said.
Just then I could not hold my tears any more, I took his little hands and took him to buy him something to eat.
-"let us buy something to eat, I am hungry too" ..
-" no, I will go home" said Salih pointing to a far cottage..
- I will take him to my place, bring him something to eat, and be right back"…said" H".
But the boy ran away….
I sat in my room, wondering how could these children survive. How could they live alone, what do they do in the darkness every day? Where is our government, are they aware about that policeman's family….
I can't imagine my daughter Mariam (she is 8 now) go alone to a dental clinic to extract her tooth ….it's scary for a child to face that alone.
After about an hour the boy came back with "H", he ate in his house and came seeking for treatment, I was so happy to see him again, I wanted to give him a big hug, but he was behaving like a man.. He sat silently, I gave him his shot, he was shivering, but was very quiet.
I told him he will not feel any thing he will be anesthetized, he nod his head, I extracted his tooth, and then he went without any word…..

The following is a very touching love story as narrated by a girl........

I have a boyfriend who grew up with me. His name is Jin. I always thought of him as a friend until last year, when we went to a trip from a club. I found that I fell in love with him. Before that trip was over, I took a step and confessed my love for him.
And soon, we became a pair of lovers, but we loved each other in different ways. I always concentrated on him only, but by his side, there were so many other girls. To me, he was the only one, but to him, maybe I was just another girl.
Jin, do you want to go watch a movie? I asked.
Jin "I can't"
Why? You need to study at home?I felt disappointment grabbing me.
No I am going to meet a friend
He was always like that.
He met girls in front of me, like it was nothing. To him, I was just a girlfriend. The word "love" only came out from my mouth. Since I knew him, I had never heard him say "I love you" before.
To us, there weren't any anniversaries at all.
He didn't say anything from the first day and it continued till 100 days,200 days. Everyday, before we say goodbye, he would just hand me a doll, everyday, without fail. I don't know why. Then one day...
Me Um, Jin, I...
Jin What?don't drag, just say..
Me I love you.
Jin you...um, just take this doll and go home.
That was how he ignored my three words and handed me the doll.
Then he disappeared, like he was running away.
The dolls I received from him everyday, filled my room, one by one. There were many...
Then one day came, my 15th year old birthday. When I got up in the morning, I pictured a party with him, and stranded myself in my room, waiting for his call.
But ...lunch passed, dinner passed...and soon the sky was dark he still didn't call.
It was already tiring to look at the phone anymore.
Then around 2am in the morning, he suddenly called me and woke me from my sleep. He told me to come out of the house. Still, I felt joy and I ran out happily.
Me Jin...
Jin Here...take this...
Again, he handed me a little doll.
Me What's this?
Jin I didn't give it to you yesterday, so I am giving it to you now. I'm going home now, bye.
Me Wait, wait! Do you know what today is?
Jin Today? Huh?
I felt so sad, I thought he would remember my birthday. He turned around and walked away like nothing had happen. when I shouted..."Wait..."
Jin You have something to say?
Me Tell me, tell me you love me...
Jin What?!
Me Tell me
I put my pathetic self behind and clung on to him. But he just said simple cold words and left.
"I don't want to say that I love someone so easily, if you are desperate to hear it, then find someone else." That was what he said. Then he ran off.
My legs felt numb...and I collapsed to the ground. He didn't want to say it easily...How could he!.
I felt that... Maybe he is not the right guy for me...
After that day, I stranded myself at home crying, just crying. He didn't call me, although I was waiting. He just continued handing me a little doll every morning outside my house.
That's how those dolls piled up in my room... everyday
After a month, I got myself together and went to school. But what made the pain resurface was that... I saw him on a street...with another girl...
He had a smile on his face, one that he never showed me...as he touched the doll... I ran straight back home and looked at the dolls in my room, and tears fell... Why did he gave these to me??
Those dolls are probably picked out by some other girls. In a fit of anger, I threw the dolls around.
Then suddenly, the phone rang. It was him. He told me to come out to the bus stop outside my house. I tried to calm myself down and walked to the bus stop. I kept reminding myself that I am going to forget him, that it's going to end.
Then he came into my sight, holding a big doll.
Jin Jo, I thought you were pissed, you really came?
I couldn't help hating him, acting like nothing had happen and joking around. Soon, he held out the doll as usual
Me I don't need it.
Jin What?.why?
I grabbed the doll from his hands and threw it on the road.
Me I don't need this doll, I don't need it anymore!! I don't want to see a person like you again!
I spitted out all the words that were inside me. But unlike other days, his eyes very shaking.
"I'm sorry..." He apologized in a tiny voice. He then walked over to the road to pick up the doll...
Me You stupid! Why are you picking up the doll?! Just throw it away!!!
But he ignored me and just went to pick the doll.
Then...
Honk Honk
With a loud honk, a big truck was heading towards him.
"Jin! Move! Move away!" I shouted....
But he didn't hear me, he squatted down and picked up the doll.
"Jin, move!"
HONK!!
*Boom!* That sound, so terrifying.
That's how he went away from me.
That's how he went away without even opening his eyes to say one word to me. After that day, I had to go through everyday with guiltiness and the sadness of losing him.
And after spending two months like a crazy person
I took out the dolls. Those were the only gifts he left me since the day we started going out.I remembered the days I spent with him and started to count the days- when we were in love..
"One...two... three..."
That was how I started to count the dolls...
"Four hundred and eighty four... four hundred and eighty five..."
It all ended with 485 dolls.
I then started to cry again, with a doll in my arms.
I hugged it tightly, then suddenly...
"I love you, I love you"
I dropped the dolls,shocked.
"I...lo..ve..you??"
I picked up the dolls and pressed its stomach.
"I love you I love you"
It can"t be!
I pressed all the dolls' stomach as it piled on the side.
"I love you"
"I love you"
"I love you"
Those words came out non-stop.
"I love you"
Why didn't I realize that???.
That his heart was always by my side, protecting me.
Why didn't I realize that he love me this much...
I took out the doll under the bed and pressed it's stomach, that was the last doll, the one that fell on the road. It had his blood stain on it.
The voice came out, the on that I was missing so much....
"Jo...Do you know what today is? We've been loving each other for 486 days. Do you know what 486 is?
I couldn't say I love you..... Um... since I was too shy. If you forgive me and take this doll, I will say that I love you.. Everyday...till I die.. Jo... I love you!"
The tears came flowing out of me. Why? Why? I asked
god, why do I only know about all this now?
He can't be by my side, but he loved me until his last minute.
For that.. and for that reason... to me..... it became courage... to live a beautiful life...

It's better to lose your pride with someone you love rather

Caught by her smile

Well like most authors i am one who do not believe in love at first sight untill i experienced it myself...
It all started like this, I was with a few friends at McDonalds, after my lecture from school, we were chatting and laughing at some stupid stories that one of my friends told...
Just then, a group of girls come and took their seats, there was this girl, quite outstanding for that striking red top she was wearing and she had this sweet smile...
Then, while they were at the counter, ordering their food, i noticed something, they all had a disability, they could not talk... But, this was not considered a disability to me, i walked up to them, and ask for her number, well, she was suprised?
But, she eventually gave me her address and her name is Elaine, she does not have a phone at home and there was no possibility to talk to her...
After a few days, i sent her a letter, asking her out on a date the following Saturday. Whether she agreed to the date or was it rejected, i could not tell for i do not know!
We were supposed to meet at the Lido cinema to catch a movie, i waited for around 5mins then, she appeared. She was wearing that same smile that caught me..
In the cinema, we saw he show "Ice Age." In order to communicate, i needed to get a pen and paper...
I asked her about how she felt about me.. she told me she was very happy, but at the same time, she was worried as she could not define whether my love was out of sympathy or was it from my heart.
From that moment, i have been asking myself the question, untill a month later after my exams, i finally made up my mind, i was really in love with her, not for her disability that i sympathize, not for that she is pretty, but for the fact that i love her... i went to her home, which made her quite suprised, i pulled her out of her home and ran to the park in font of her block of flats, i looked at her and wrote to her how i felt, she looked at my with those big black eyes, those that could take your soul away if you were you stare at it for a long time.
She took the pen and wrote this sentence,"I love you too, but now that i am assured that you love me for wat i am and not out of sympathy, i feel that i will not regret the decision.."
Now, we have been together for two years and althoguh we have not planned to get married, i have never once quarrel with her, not even on paper and i never will...

It's a cold February night. People are bustling through the streets, either pulling up their coat collars or wrapping scarves around their necks, trying to stay warm.

It's so cold today.I'm standing at my window, looking at the people moving like little dots. Standing in a heated room, I'm beginning to pity those people. Why don't they go home? Do they plan on wandering until morning?

"Almost time to go home! My boyfriend must be going crazy." One of the nurses breathe a sign of relief. "Still needs to work overtime on Valentine's Day. It's so unfair!"

"You are fortunate." Another nurse says. "Some people don't have anyone waiting for them."

"You mean Dr. Shu?"
Like Sherlock Holmes, my ears perk up when I hear my name.
"Do you remember how she lost control on this day last year?"
"Of course I do." A nurse shudders. "I've never seen Dr. Shu like that. Crying and yelling, like she was crazy."
They are talking about how I was last year. They are correct. I was out of control, like they said.
"You can't blame Dr. Shu. If my boyfriend died in front of my eyes, I would probably go crazy as well."
"Keep it down. She hasn't left work yet. She might hear you."
The two nurses are too late. I heard the entire conversation through the canvas wall.
"Dr. Shu, what are you doing standing here?"

Just as I was deciding whether or not to reveal myself, another nurse exposed me. I awkwardly step out. The 2 nurses who discussed me start to blush. Their faces became redder than the bow on Valentine's Day chocolates.

"I'm waiting to go home." I pretend that I didn't hear anything.
"Dr. Shu, you must have gotten too involved in your work. It's already past time to go home. See you tomorrow. Happy Valentine's Day!" She waves goodbye.

"Happy Valentine's Day." I wave back and watch the 2 nurses hurry away.

That's fine. I was ready to go home anyway. Even though no lover is waiting
for me, at least there's a lazy cat waiting for me to feed.

After I come home, the first thing I do is feed the cat. I forgot when I first had the cat. Probably since last year's Valentine's Day. At that time, I was like an abandoned cat, with eyes filled with despair. Cats don't cry, I do. That's the only difference.

"Better drink all the milk or I'll skin you." I threatened the cat. Her name is Christine, my least favorite English name. I don't know why I named the cat Christine. Christine meowed once to let me know she heard me, but her eyes are complaining about my severity. Her eyes remind me of someone I used to know, standing in front of me with eyes of rebellions.

An year ago today, I had lunch with my boyfriend and took the opportunity to complain to him.

"Today is Valentine's Day. Why didn't you give me any flowers?"

He raised his eyebrow. "Why should I give you flowers? You are not my anyone."

"Then... you should at least give me a card!" I pouted my lips, hurt by his tone.

"I know, I know. After lunch, I'll send you an e-card."

E-card. That sounds so impersonal, but that's the way he is. "You have to e-mail it to me. I'll be waiting." I excitedly smiled and planned to sneak home after lunch to check e-mail. Even though he wouldn't use any romantic words, I still looked forward to the card.

"I can't stand you women. Why do you make such a big deal out of Valentine's Day??" He grumbled while eating his food. His comment induced me to fight with him again.

"You are not romantic at all!! Don't you watch any Japanese drama?"

"Japanese drama? I only watch Discovery Channel."

"Your life is so boring." I made a face at him. "One recent drama was really good. You should have watched it."

"What's that drama called?" He didn't believe in the love portrayed in TV and movies. He always thought they were lies.

"It's called 'Story of A Century'." I gladly answered.

"What kind of trashy plot did it have?"

"What do you mean trash?? Show some respect!" I was so angry. "That drama was very touching, and the theme song was beautiful as well. It's called 'Only Love', performed by Nana Mouskouri." I wonder if he knew who Nana was.

"Nana, I know her. A Greek singer with really expensive albums."

"Her voice is worth it." Even though I secretly agreed with him, I couldn't bring myself to admit it.

"Whatever." He glanced at his watch. "I'll give you 5 minutes to tell me the plot. After that, I'm leaving."

I tried hard to explain 6 hours worth of story in just 5 minutes. The drama portrayed the love stories of 3 generations of women spanning 100 years, from 1901 to 2000. Each generation was portrayed by the same actress. The story was tear-jerking.

"What's so touching about it?" He asked, after listening to the story.

"Don't you think each generation's story is wonderful? If I have such great screen writing ability, I wouldn't be a doctor anymore. I would become a screenwriter."

"If you become a screenwriter, I bet no one would watch the show. The TV station can go out of business." He quickly interjected.

"I'm going back to work. Hurry and send me the card!" I was so mad that I went home immediately, not even finishing my coffee.

As soon as I walked in my door, I turned on my computer and go online.

Staring at the empty in-box, I began to reminisce about how we met. Maybe no one will believe me, but my boyfriend and I were actually neighbors. Our homes were only 1 wall away. Ever since we were kids, we liked to fight with each other all day long. I still remember when I moved to the country that year. Used to the city life, I couldn't get used to the simple life in the country. After school, I would just go home and do nothing. Whenever that happened, he would always come over to tease me.

"Why are you staring off into space??" He loved to pull on my hair. "You're so ugly when you're doing nothing. But you're also not pretty when you smile." In other words, I'm really ugly.

"You're the one who's ugly!" I pull back my hair. "If you think I'm so ugly, why do you visit me??"

"Can't help it. My home is right next to your home." He argued.

"Then I'll move!" The next day, I drew a line in the ground using some white chalk. A line that I forbid him to cross.

That year, we were both in the 5th grade. We couldn't stand each other and hoped the other would move away. But 5 years passed, and neither of us moved. Not only that, we got into the same high school and into the same class.

"You're that infamous couple." All the students and teachers in the school would say whenever they saw us.

"We're not!" I always tried to explain. "We're only neighbors." At that time, I hated my parents for making us live next to him.
"My standard is not that low." He would say. "Who wants her to be a girlfriend?? It's not like I don't have eyes."

"Yes, I know your eyes are on top of your head." I really disliked him. "Better than having eyes on the bottom of my head like you." He implied that I couldn't judge guys. At that time, I had a crush on a senior.

I didn't think that his sarcasm had a hidden meaning. After a while, I found out that the senior student had lots of girlfriends. When I cried about it, he silently passed me a handkerchief and awkwardly held me in his arms.

"I told you he wasn't any good." He roughly comforted me. I cried in his arms the whole night, and began to see him in a different way. Things began to change between us. We still fought all the time, but he started to look at me differently. And I blushed and my heart beat faster when he was near. We both knew: we fell in love with each other.

Even with this knowledge, neither of us said anything. Even though we would
not be able to resist and kissed each other constantly. Even though we cared about each other's every moves. Both of us refused to admit our love.

Time flew by quickly, and it was time to face separation. I chose to study medicine, and he chose physics. Yet we still couldn't separate from each other. Our parents worried that we didn't know anyone in Taipei, so they forced us to live in the same apartment building. Once again, we became neighbors. We still fought, but sometimes we fought into the bedroom. Alright, we became lovers, but we still wouldn't say we loved each other. We didn't even spend Valentine's Day together until he saw me share dinner with a man one Valentine's Day. That night, he waited for me in front of my door and said that he would take me out to dinner on Valentine's Day from then on. I have to say that he was very arrogant. But I nodded and accepted his request. Since then, we spent every Valentine's Day together. After graduation, I became an intern. He started a small computer company with some friends and became a programmer. We were busy with our own lives and had no time for a relationship. Three years later, I became a doctor, and his business began to boom. We separately moved to bigger
apartments and stopped being neighbors. On the surface, we left each other. In reality, we were still together. We spent every Valentine's Day together but each year became more dreary than the next because he never told me he loved me even with all my hints.

Facing the empty in-box, I suddenly grew very angry. He wouldn't say it and wouldn't send me a card. What did he mean? Who did he think I was? I called his cell phone.

"Hello." He picked up the phone.

"I didn't receive the card." I immediately showed my displeasure.

"You didn't receive it?" He seemed really busy. "But I sent it."

He was really busy but I didn't care. "I didn't receive it. Send it again."

"Okay, I'll send you 100 times. Is that good enough??" He said with impatience. His tone further infuriated me. Is that how lovers speak to each other?

"Don't bother sending it to me. And you don't have to pick me up tonight.

I'll eat dinner by myself."

"Don't be childish, ok? I'm really busy."

"I AM childish!" I hung up the phone and tears rolled down my cheeks.

Childish?? Why didn't he consider the situation? We've gone out for so many years and spent countless Valentine's Day together. I never received any flowers nor cards from him. Now, I just want a little e-card. Is that too much to ask for??

I unplugged the phone from the wall and turned off my cell phone. I didn't want to hear his explanations. After I returned to the hospital, I instructed the receptionist not to forward me any phone calls. I wanted to concentrate on work.

Because there were so many emergencies today, I was sweating 1 hour later and forgot about our argument.

"Dr. Shu, please take a look at that patient."

As I was collecting my equipment, the shrill sound of an ambulance sounded outside the ER. When I stepped out the door, the emergency medics hurriedly wheeled in a gurney.

"What happened to him?" I asked the 1st medic. Everyone else were trying to help put the patient on the gurney. He was covered with blood.

"Car accident." The medic replied. "Very serious. He may die."

I nodded and ran to the operating room with them. When I arrived, the nurses told me that the man had already stopped breathing and also his heartbeat also stopped

"Prepare for shock." I calmly instructed the nurses. Saving people is our duty. We can't lose our calm.

But when I saw who laid on the operating table, I lost my calm. That person was my boyfriend!

"No..." I stood in shock. "NO!!!" I grabbed the paddles and continuously shocked his body. His body bounced up and down from the shocks. The scared nurses went to find another doctor, to tell him that I was crazy.

I didn't know if I was crazy or not. I just wanted to save my lover. Even though we fought all the time. Even though he never showed me his love. I still wanted to save him. He still owed me a card. He couldn't die! I threw away the paddles and began to press on his heart. I pressed with all my strength, hoping it would revive him, but he didn't wake up. He didn't even say "It hurts". He just laid there with his eyes closed, punishing me with his silence.

Dr. Jian angrily pushed me away. By that time, I couldn't see clearly anymore. I cried. I wailed. I bowled until no sounds could come out of my mouth.

"It's too late, Dr. Shu. He's already dead. I'm sorry." Dr. Jian patted me on the shoulder. They knew each other and ate together once. I introduced them.

"He can't die." I shook my head. "He can't die!!" I struggled to run to him.

"Dr. Shu, control yourself!" Dr. Jian slapped me. "I understand what you're going through, but you're a doctor."

Yes, I'm a doctor, but I'm also a regular person. How can Dr. Jian understand how I feel? I've loved him for so many years that it's become a habit. How can I just throw away a habit? Besides, he still owed me a card. "I want him to live! I want him to live!" I ran to him again and tried to knock the life back into his body.

"Take her away!" That day, I lost my control and my professionalism.

And that day happened to be Valentine's Day.

Afterwards, I asked his co-workers why he left work early that day.

They told me that after I hung up the phone, he tried to call me several times but couldn't reach me. Worried, he drove to the hospital to find me and got hit by a large truck on the way.

When I heard this, I froze. My tantrum killed him. Just because of an unmailed card, he died. After that, I lost my privilege to be childish.

Like an abandoned cat, I couldn't even cry anymore. After his death, I couldn't cry anymore, regardless of how touching the plot or how tear-jerking the dialogue. They didn't affect me anymore.

Now, I'm only left with a cat and a seldomly used computer. Stepping over the cat, I turned on the computer. Even though I know no one will send me a mail, I still hoped that someone will remember me on this day.

Meow, meow. I looked at Christine to see what's wrong. She finished her milk. I went into the kitchen to get her more milk then came back to look at the computer screen.

I have.... 100 emails! Who would be bored enough to send me 100 junk mail?

I was just about to delete them all when I received another mail, and this one said: "Because of system error, we could not send these until today.

We apologize for the delay." The sender was my ISP.

I looked at the 1st mail. It showed the send date is last year's Valentine's Day. My heart began to beat fast. Could he have sent these?

With a trembling hand, I opened the mail. The first thing that popped up was a gorgeous red rose set against green leaves. Then a beautiful melody began to play.... "Only Love". I couldn't believe it. The rose was so beautiful and the music was so dreamy. I almost thought I was in a fantasy. Most touching of all were the words underneath the rose, because the words read like a beautiful poem.

"Hwei."

That's my name.

"Knowing you so many years, I've never sent you any flowers. Today I send you a rose."

I received it and it's so beautiful.

"You know we are always fighting. We can never really open our hearts and tell each other how we feel."

Yes, but it's all your fault for being so distant.

"I know I always make you mad by the things I say."

Good that you're admitting it.

"But today I want to say to you: I'm sorry, and I love you."

I waited so many years for those words.

"And I want to tell you a good news. I finally saved enough money."

You already have enough money. Why did you need so much?

"So Hwei, let's get married!! I was afraid to propose to you, because I didn't trust in my ability to give you the good life you deserve. But now I've saved enough money so we don't have to wait anymore."

Who wanted you to wait? I'm already yours.
"Today, I use this card to propose to you. Will you marry me, Hwei? Will you?"

That's the content of the whole card. Like a fool, I kept reading his words and talking to him. It's like I can hear his voice and see him again.

As if it's back to 1 year ago with us constantly fighting.

The song played over and over. Repeating Nana's heartbreaking voice.

Only love can make a memory. Only love can make a moment last. You were there and all the world was young and all it's songs unsung. and I remember you then when love was all, all you were living for,
and how you gave that love to me...."

The lyrics of this song fits our love so closely. When he was alive, my world was so young. Every day, I could find a something different to fight with him about. But after he left, my life is only left with memories and coldness that will never go away.

"Will you marry me?"

When I read these words, my tears unconsciously came, wetting the keyboard.

Will I? If he's in front of me, I will definitely kick him and call him a big fool. If I wasn't willing, I wouldn't have waited until today.

So I moved the cursor over the "Reply" box, and typed the response that I've already prepared for so many years - "I will."

I will - be by his side for the rest of my life. I will - fight with him forever. That is how I answered him, but the only response I got was the repeating song "Only Love."

Nevertheless, I opened every single letter, accepted every singled rose, and typed the same response: "I will."

I replied 100 times, and "Only Love" played 100 times. In this cold Valentine's night, the line that's been broken for 1 year finally got reconnected.

I answered you. What about you?

This one is not emotional. Its gotta happy ending

*This article was published in Readers Digest September 2007
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
At 2 am one night last July, Lo Ren-hung was thinking about going home from his job as a computer technician in Taipei. Surfing the internet, he clicked on a bulletin board that usually had messages seeking advice about purchases and wanting to chat.
The newest post got his attention. Signed by a user called Cutecat0604, it said simply: ''I need to talk.''
Intrigued, Ren-hung sent Cutecat his phone number. Moments later, his mobile phone rang. A young woman was on the line. ''I can't sleep at night,'' she said, her voice soft and weary. ''I am a bit upset. I don't like to be so alone.''
''Hey, Little Princess,'' Ren-hung said cheerfully. ''Don't be like that!''
By the time they got off the phone two hours later, a friendship was born.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ren-hung spent long, lonely nights at the China Post newspaper, standing by to help fix computer problems. In his fourth-floor office, cluttered with discarded screens, keyboards, printers, disk drives and wires, he often passed the time on the PTT, the ''professional technology temple'' bulletin board. With about one million users and 10,000 discussion groups, PTT is the biggest of its kind in the Chinese world.
Refined and good looking with oblong glasses, Ren-hung would chuckle as he scrolled through the messages posted on a group called Hate – a hot-bed of gossip, news, jokes and outrage for PTT users.
Ren-hung's name meant ''Great Benevolence'' and he liked to reach out and help people. He quickly learned that Cutecat's real name was Yang Yu-ting and that she was a 22-year-old studying English at a college in Kaohsiung City, a large industrial centre, some 300 kilometres from Taipei.
Every night they talked, sometimes for hours.
''If I was sitting beside you right now, would you give me a hug?'' Yu-ting asked one night.
''Of course – the biggest hug in the world,'' Ren-hung promised.
When Yu-ting said she wrote a blog, Ren-hung looked it up. In her picture, she looked petite and as fragile as a big-eyed doll with a pert smile. But Yu-ting was clearly troubled. She admitted to Ren-hung that she had taken pills to kill herself several times, but was always found in time. ''I have a huge hole in my heart and it will never mend,'' she told him.
Little by little, Ren-hung uncovered the reasons behind her depression. When she was 15, her father had an affair with a colleague. She had two serious boyfriends, but drove each one away because she was ''so afraid of being alone.''
In 2004 she had a heart with wings tattooed on her abdomen. ''One day I will fly away,'' she vowed.
Ren-hung's cheerful voice on the phone did more for Yu-ting's depression than the medication from her doctors.
But on December 20, everything changed.
Yu-ting parked her scooter outside a hotel. The bright lobby was decorated with artificial roses spangled with glitter. ''Do you have a room?'' Yu-ting asked manager Huang Tsu-peng, who was working reception.
''How many of you?'' he asked. He took little notice of the girl.
''One.''
She paid $18 and took the key to room 808. Sitting on the bed, Yu-ting pulled out the prescription sleeping pills and, one by one, swallowed about 20.
Next, she unwrapped a barbecue set she had smuggled into the hotel. The starters caught at once, heating the charcoal briquettes and quickly filling the room with deadly fumes.
Yu-ting sat on the bed and wrote in a notebook: ''I'm sorry. I'm just too tired and my future has no answer. Dear Daddy, dear Mummy, and my baby sister, I love you.''
Then she dialled Lo Ren-hung.
8:55pm
Sitting at his office computer, Ren-hung smiled when his phone rang. He knew it must be Yu-ting but her voice was different – lethargic, spaced-out.
''Do you know what I'm doing?'' she asked dreamily.
''What are you doing?''
''I'm burning charcoal.''
Ren-hung sat up sharply, his heart racing. Burning charcoal emitted deadly carbon monoxide fumes. It was one of the most common methods of suicide in Taiwan.
''Where are you?'' he demanded.
''I'm in a hotel so you won't find me.'' As she slurred her words, Ren-hung realised she'd taken pills as well.
''What's the hotel's name?''
''No way. You'll never know where I am. I'm flying away.''
''OK, what's your room number?''
''I won't tell you.''
''What floor are you on?''
''Oh, what does it matter?'' Yu-ting sighed. ''I'm on the eighth floor.''
9:07pm
Fingers flying over his keyboard, Ren-hung called up PTT's Hate board, opened a new post and typed:
''A girl in Kaohsiung City right now is trying to commit suicide, but I am in Taipei. The reasons are relationship problems and melancholia. Her name is Yang Yu-ting. She has just checked into a room on the eighth floor of a hotel and is burning charcoal to gas herself. Netizens in Kaohsiung please help to find her. If we can find her in less than an hour, we might save her.''
He wrote ''RED ALERT'' in the subject line and sent the message.
It went first to a moderator who checked messages as they came in. He fired a message back to Ren-hung: ''Is this real or a practical joke?''
''Of course it's real,'' Ren-hung replied. The moderator attached a yellow star to the post to show that it was important and cross-referenced it to other boards. Almost immediately, responses flashed in.
''Quickly,'' posted YivanL. ''Netizens go to her rescue.''
''A number of hotels in Kaohsiung are more than eight storeys,'' wrote another. ''Can the scope be narrowed?''
''Please help make a list,'' said gogomisa. ''Call the hotels and check whether there is a guest by this name.''
The dramatic speed of the posts gave Ren-hung hope. He called the fire and ambulance services and explained what was happening; they promised to alert emergency services in Kaohsiung.
He dialled Yu-ting's number. No answer. Ren-hung imagined the deadly fumes – tasteless and colourless – steadily filling the hotel room. But there was nothing more he could do.
9:45pm
Chen Wei-chuan* logged on to PTT. Strongly built and 1.88 metres tall, the shy 28-year-old university student lived with his parents in Kaohsiung. Tonight, on a whim, he did something unusual – he clicked on Hate.
Instantly Lo Ren-hung's message jumped onto his screen. It already had 40 responses and more were coming in every minute. ''Does anyone know her?'' asked sh54inq. ''Let's call her folks, her boyfriend or her classmates.''
Then somebody recognised Yu-ting's name and gave the name of her college. ''Classmates of hers, please call and soothe her!'' said yanki826.
VGA reported that Yu-ting was in her class at secondary school but they had lost touch.
"What can I do to help?" Wei-chuan wondered. Reading the messages again, he jotted down the most important points.
The college was in San-min district. That's not too far from here.
The hotel has at least eight floors. That's something to go on.
The girl is a student. The hotel will be a cheap one.
He decided to start with the Yi-da Hotel – it had ten floors, it was near his home, it was cheap.
He dialled and a man answered. Wei-chuan knew that hotels were usually reluctant to give information about guests, so he made a reservation. ''Could you give me a room on Sunday?''
''Yes, we can,'' the manager told him, and started to take his details.
''By the way,'' Wei-chuan went on. ''I've got a friend called Yang Yu-ting. She might have checked in already. Is she there?''
''Oh yes, she's here.''
Wei-chuan could hardly believe what he heard. ''Listen,'' he said urgently. ''This girl wants to commit suicide. Go and knock on her door – hurry!''
Huang Tsu-peng, the hotel manager, called emergency services then dashed upstairs. He banged on the door. No answer. His skeleton key opened the lock, but the door was chained. With two sharp blows he smashed it open.
The room was thick with smoke, but the girl was breathing. He flung open a window and, slapping Yu-ting's cheeks to keep her awake, laid her on a luggage trolley and got her out of the room.
10:23pm
A message from Wei-chuan flashed up on every screen: ''Just called and found this person in Yi-da Hotel.''
Now the messages sang a new song. ''I want to cry,'' wrote malakaki. ''Is she all right?''
''Hope it's not too late,'' said sorryboy.
11:30pm
In Taipei, Ren-hung was relieved and thrilled. Smiling broadly, he posted a last message: ''Miss Yang is in hospital and her family has asked me to say thank you. She might be angry with me, but at least we have to let her know that people won't give up on her – so I hope she won't give up on herself.''

A month later, Yu-ting travelled to Taipei to meet Ren-hung. They talked about what happened. ''You owe me one thing, remember,'' Yu-ting said.
''Yes, I know,'' Ren-hung said. He leaned over and hugged her tightly.
''Thank you for everything you did,'' she told him.

Latest posts

Back