Newbie...extremely lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woundedbird

Reaction score
hello,
i'm glad i found this. i joined a similar site, shared my story and received a big fat zero in replies. so i deleted my account.

i really don't know where to start. i'm here because i am very lonely, i have a total of two friends i see in person but these friends continually let me down, and cause me grief.

i have feelings for a man who is incarcerated, and even though we are just friends, i do care about him. he and i have i guess what would be classified as a "sado-masochistic" kind of friendship. i'm extremely obsequious towards him. he hasn't communicated with me in over a month and i feel very lost and alone.

i am affected by the time change-i do battle S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) but usually combat it well with exercise. the last few days though i have gone "off the wagon." i'm an emotional eater and i have binged my butt off.

i am tired of going places and constantly comparing myself to other women.

i feel very inadequate.

i hope someone responds. please.

Hello, I'm really new here too. I don't know what to say other than I hope this site is helpful for you and I hope you meet people that can become your friends.

Hi woundedbird,
I am new to this forum as well. It seems like a pretty good place.

People will always give you grief sooner or later...it just depends on if there is more good than grief. As wonderful as my friends can be, yep, they do give me grief at times as well.

Take care,
Irma

thanks Sister Sojourn. my goodness, at the other site, NO ONE ever
responded, and within one night, a few of you already have. so thank you!

Sister_Sojourn said:
Hello, I'm really new here too. I don't know what to say other than I hope this site is helpful for you and I hope you meet people that can become your friends.

hi Irma,
i do believe i have heard of that phrase, if they cause you more stress than joy or something like that!

the thing is, i keep going back to the friendships out of desperation of being lonely. both of these friends are very good at being very undependable. i hate to say this but one of them is very obese, (450 + lbs) and i find myself self conscious being around them in public.
thanks for listening Irma.

Irminator said:
Hi woundedbird,

People will always give you grief sooner or later...it just depends on if there is more good than grief. As wonderful as my friends can be, yep, they do give me grief at times as well.

Take care,
Irma

hi Viviana thanks for the sweet welcome.

viviana said:
hi woundedbird

thanks Punisher.

everyone here is so nice. i can't believe it. i already feel less lonely just coming here. thanks to all who have welcomed me!

woundedbird said:
thanks Sister Sojourn. my goodness, at the other site, NO ONE ever
responded, and within one night, a few of you already have. so thank you!

Sister_Sojourn said:

hi Irma,
i do believe i have heard of that phrase, if they cause you more stress than joy or something like that!

the thing is, i keep going back to the friendships out of desperation of being lonely. both of these friends are very good at being very undependable. i hate to say this but one of them is very obese, (450 + lbs) and i find myself self conscious being around them in public.
thanks for listening Irma.

Irminator said:
Hi woundedbird,

Take care,
Irma

hi Viviana thanks for the sweet welcome.

viviana said:
hi woundedbird

I so connect with your post...yeppers, emotional eating sure does fill those empty spaces huh??? at least for awhile. the sad thing is, you get larger and larger and then you isolate even more because you don't want anyone to see you looking the way you do.

I think many of us really really lonely people also must have issues with our self esteem. I have practically zilch. I often say it is so hard to be this old and this worthless...who'd a thunk a nice well educated, well spoken, gregarious, fun loving old broad like me would wind up so alone and so disconnected from the world??? I overcame alot of abuse in my past...had a vicious mother who probably was just seriously mentally ill, so unhappy with her life she only had me to take out her misery on. People do that... kick dogs or cats or go off on a tear at a hapless cashier in a supermarket because they are so twisted up inside.... but it sure doesn't make it right. I was able to work thru the life-long hatred of her only until after she died...heck, was actively putting alot of energy into hating her for 12 years after she died. HUH? I do alot of reading, alternative therapies, self help groups when I can.... someone I met, an Indian shaman, finally made total sense to me.... sure, I had no mother, no motherly relationship when she was alive...but guess what? I could have one now...she is free of the anger that tormented and tortured her...and she is free now to love me and cherish me. I love that idea...that so helped me understand that it wasn't anything about me specifically that encouraged the kicking and beatings and name calling. That I managed to marry an equally abusive man probably isn't surprising...but I got myself out of that after I got cancer and had to concentrate on me for once and my survival. It doesn't help much if we stay in relationships just have someone, anyone in our lives. It took alot of courage for me to break away. I regret it most days. I do, but I know it was the right thing, no matter how hard it is for me now, no one is beating on me, making me feel even worse. I have no trouble making myself just feel lousy anyway. It takes enormous work and strength to break patterns of abuse. I am just getting to the point at my advanced age of 60 here where it just is almost too much to do alone. I have put alot of work into it, but it's always just up to me.... as they say, you see your glass as half empty or half full...or like Abe Lincoln said: most people are only as happy as they make up their minds to be. I try so hard to have a grateful and cheerful outlook, but this time of year I just feel the rug of normal sanity and basic good cheer just being ripped out from under me. I hope we both can cope and do what is best for ourselves. Caring for ourselves and being gentle with ourselves is easier said than done, but we gotta try I guess.

oh...p.s. I did have one friend for just over a year, finally I said to myself! a friend... didn't see her every week, but often enough, she has kids and a husband..but still and all, if I wanted to go out and do something, invariably she would go with me.... then, after being unemployed for about 6 months, she broke off all communication with me... wouldn't return my calls, never answered my cards or letters. All I could think of I was probably one of those toxic people that just wore her out too. Sad to admit to, but I couldn't be the totally dependent friend she seemed to need me to be. She would do things I would just BEG her to stop doing....she would leave bags and bags of groceries at my door, and that was just so demeaning to me. My god, how bad is it when your only friend has to feed you? I was an adult who couldn't even provide food for myself and I just hated her doing that...begged her to stop..and she got really offended. Maybe some people just like be saviors and doing kind things and when you stop them from their own agenda of providing what they think you need.... you run the risk of that person just saying, fine, you don't want my help, then I'm outta here. I guess that was what happened....I was so grateful for her friendship, but I just didn't want her buying bags of groceries and leaving them where the whole neighborhood could see them, how embarassing...but yeah, sometimes people have to knock the toxic ones out of their lives....I guess I was toxic. I have to admit to that. My pride got in the way, but I have such low esteem I couldn't have made any other decision. well... anyway...good luck, I truly do hope we both can find some solace here.

woundedbird said:
hello,
i'm glad i found this. i joined a similar site, shared my story and received a big fat zero in replies. so i deleted my account.

i really don't know where to start. i'm here because i am very lonely, i have a total of two friends i see in person but these friends continually let me down, and cause me grief.

i have feelings for a man who is incarcerated, and even though we are just friends, i do care about him. he and i have i guess what would be classified as a "sado-masochistic" kind of friendship. i'm extremely obsequious towards him. he hasn't communicated with me in over a month and i feel very lost and alone.

i am affected by the time change-i do battle S.A.D. (seasonal affective disorder) but usually combat it well with exercise. the last few days though i have gone "off the wagon." i'm an emotional eater and i have binged my butt off.

i am tired of going places and constantly comparing myself to other women.

i feel very inadequate.

i hope someone responds. please.

You are not alone. There are a lot of us here to give you company. I can offer you the best that I can ... My friendship :)

Welcome to the forum, i'm glad you decided to join us.

your simple little message made me into a blubbering idiot. thank you so much.

o4hara said:
You are not alone. There are a lot of us here to give you company. I can offer you the best that I can ... My friendship :)

Hi Minus, thank you...

Deidre, thank you for your in depth response. you are so right about the eating. when i was a little kid we were robbed, and since then whenever my parents leave for the weekend, even though we have ADT, i am so fearful of a break in it's unreal. i hate to be in this big house alone. it's awful for me, especially at night. this weekend i binged and binged.

i can identify with what you said about your mother. mine i would say is emotionally abusive, but she just doesn't know any better. recently i tried to call her pretty and she rebuked my compliment, completely! she doesn't think of herself as pretty. never likes to see herself in photos.

i have never felt this ugly in all my life. i am still young but have greying hair and it's embarrassing. plus i have always had big thighs, and when i gain weight which i have it goes right there. when i do exercise, i exercise more in a few days then most people do in a month, but i have put on more weight in the last two years and my metabolism stinks.

i am so sorry to hear you have had cancer. they say toxic feelings/relationships can cause it.

i also identify with what you said about abusive relationship. this friend of mine, we are just friends, knows i have feelings beyond friendship for him. i started taking his calls, paying up the nose for them, but now the calls are extremely infrequent. the last call, he berated me. i have sent him a letter for every single day he's been in prison-nearly 150 days! and he called my letters the stupidest letters he's ever received, and if i send him one more stupid letter "demanding" that he calls, he won't be my friend anymore. well, i cowered and apologized and promised i would never even ask him to call me again. "how could you be so stupid," he snapped at me. by the end of the call, he relaxed, and said he'd talk to me later. a month has gone by, no phone calls, and i have stopped writing him everyday. to be honest i am afraid of writing anything to him for fear he will find it stupid. the thing is, those letters were the only thing left i really had any pride in.

thanks Sister!

Sister_Sojourn said:

hi Steel! Thanks so much for your warm greeting.

I hope no one is offended if I mention names, but I joined the "Experience Project" and poured my heart out and got NO responses, this place is SO much better, you are SO nice, all of you.

Steel said:
Hey wounded, and welcome.

Hi Woundedbird

Welcome. I am an emotional eater too. My butt is growing by the day, so yehaa you are not alone. We have to work it sister.

Latest posts

Back