Contemplating A Social Media Freeze

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlynnRyder

Reaction score
A lot of times, I feel like I'm trapped in a story, written by someone else, and this entity has scripted the sequences of events that constitute my life to be the most empty, vapid, dysfunctional, frustrating set of circumstances one could ever experience. Particularly, if I need to apply or lobby for something for myself through telecommunications, I'm probably not going to get a response. Which brings me to social media:
It's one of the few distractions that gets me satisfaction. The few times I can illicit a debate or a conversation with someone else, it brings quite the thrill. But just like with every other aspect of my life, I feel like everyone else is having this big party, and they cant wait to tell me about it, but I am never invited to the actual party. I hear about how people forged real connections, made friends, even lovers, organized, started businesses, the whole works. but for me, across multiple platforms, the overwhelming majority of my SM posts get no responses. AT ALL. none. so just like when I am applying for a job, or healthcare, or schooling, I am just shouting into another void. So I'm thinking of quitting and coming to this place here exclusively. this platform is the online online place where people respond, where people can muster up the kindness to even pretend to give a honeysuckle. maybe we should make our relationship exclusive. What do you say, fellow forum members?

Social media is just like anything else in life. You get out what you put in. I know that generally doesn't go over well with people, but it's true. You see what you want to see. If you are negative, you are mostly going to see bad things. If you feel left out, you are mostly going to see everyone else having a good time.

Do what you feel is best for you, but secluding yourself to one place is going to limit your interactions. Especially considering how dead this place is.

I'm not on social media. haven't been since 2011ish. I didn't like it back then either. I always had maybe like 3 or 4 friends at most, and then I'd get to see how they had hundreds, (of which I was not at the top of the list (they literally used to have you rank who was most important to you lol (in hindsight that was pretty awful))).

I just learned about Fran Lebowitz. Apparently she doesn't own a cell-phone, doesn't use computers, and won't even use a type-writer. Pretty interesting.

Nice to meet you FlynnRider

If the other sites you were on were super large that would lessen your chances of getting replies in many cases. I'm a member of IGN and many threads posted there get zero replies. I think that it's human nature to want to belong and have contact with others for most people. This forum is considerably smaller than IGN but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You created this thread yesterday and already have replies from three of us. Maybe you have finally found your niche.

Latest posts

Back