Social battery

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a low social battery. I didn’t understand it until in my forties. I was always the first one to crash at the end of a night out. Its like a bell goes off in my head and says “thats it, time for bed”. Looking back I’ve lost a few friends because of this. They take offence and accuse me of not being interested when really I’m just tired and have no social capacity left. I’ve learned forcing myself to participate in sociableness when I just don’t have it in me is not only torture but I require exponentially more time to recover afterwards.

I’ve gotten much better at managing this burnout. I budget myself and save energy for times I need to be social. Kinda like a savings account.

Realizing all this has improved my life. I live a slower and quieter life now. Alone does not need to equal lonely and I’m happier for understanding that.

When I feel I'm low and I have a meeting or going to, I limit the time. Just say smth like "I should go in 30 minutes" or if I invite people to my place I also say them we are limited in time. I don't explain it. And when time is passed I say: "I'm sorry but".
When I know it's only for an hour-two(or any other limited time, it can be 15 minutes when things are really bad) it's easier for me. I feel more safe in some way.
Honestly, this is very smart. This way, you at least know when you can recharge or be on your own. Not the endless guessing I supo.

Realizing all this has improved my life. I live a slower and quieter life now. Alone does not need to equal lonely and I’m happier for understanding that.
This seems very wise :) but knowing yourself is a very important thing and when you know yourself you can accept it and learn to live with it. Thank you for your input

Latest posts

Back