Do you ever talk to yourself?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For the past few years, I notice I talk out loud to myself while I am alone.

I guess I do this because I simply have very little contact with anyone- via in person, the phone, or internet. I suppose that after so many years of being so isolated, it just kind of naturally came to be.

I'm aware that I do it, and it's not delusional, but I do find it somewhat disturbing.

If I were to approach someone all alone and find them talking to themselves, I must say that it would be unsettling.

Does anybody else ever talk to themselves?

My brother says I always talk to myself, but I don't even notice when I'm doing it. I hope I don't do it in front of people when I'm out :p

I do it all the time...and for the same reasons. There is nobody else to talk to. I don't worry about it. I think it's normal.

I do, but anything I'd say out loud while I'm alone, I'd say in front of people. It's only a "fresia ME" or a "WHAT THE fresia" or anything else. That sort of thing. Not full on conversations with myself.

I have conversations with myself all the time, who else would I talk to? My dogs doesn't seem to understand me so I don't talk to them.

I always talk to myself. I remember when I was a kid, and my mom told me that I was going to develop multiple personalities so they could talk to each other.

yeah, all the time, but i don't listen to myself because i am sure that i am just spouting off gibberish.

I do, yes. Way too often, too, I guess. When alone of course. In public I don't open my mouth, but there is something in my head sometimes. But alone, talking out loud, yeah. (And switching to foreign language, preferably French (nobody speaks french here) when someone might appear out of nowhere. Don't want them to hear me. :p) Guess, you guys are right. When you just don't talk to anyone, you start talking to yourself or so. :s
Caught myself doing that online too, recently. Talking to myself in chatrooms sometimes... Ouch.

I like to see it as thinking out loud..I try not to 'think out loud' when in public but if I do a jogger or someone on a bike always catches me when they pass me from behind..which can be mega embarrassing..I'm like,"Yeah,yeah..you got me."

I talk allot with myself , but in my mind not out loud. I never thought its something disturbing or anything like that I even find it funny that sometimes I start arguing with myself.

Yes. It's supposed to be the first sign of insanity. I wonder what the second sign is?

I don't talk to myself, but I have texted myself on occasion.

Even to myself, I have nothing to say. :p

Mike Moose said:
I like to see it as thinking out loud..I try not to 'think out loud' when in public but if I do a jogger or someone on a bike always catches me when they pass me from behind..which can be mega embarrassing..I'm like,"Yeah,yeah..you got me."
I even reply to my own posts..

I do it constantly, and I've even been caught by other people doing it. It's not as embarrassing as getting caught jacking it.....well, i guess it depends on what you get caught saying. But yeah. I do it whether i'm in public or alone, and some messed up honeysuckle pops into my head.
Other times though I have lenghty conversations with myself that are actually productive. For instance, if I'm having a hard time understanding a math problem or something, I'll explain it to myself out loud as if I were tutoring somebody else.
Talking to yourself is nothing to be ashamed of. I mean, when else will you get a chance to say the witty responses to situations that you came up with long after their relevance is no more? And it won't lead to multiple personality disorder, if that's what you're worried about. You don't hear voices answering you back do you? So, by all means talk to yourself shame free.

I think that I'll have to start talking to my self too,
i live alone and only work a couple of nights a week if that, i can sometimes go a week not speaking to anybody, so when i eventually do talk to somebody, my voice is croaky and gets sore real quick,
I'd sing only i never feel happy enough too, and i have a shite singing voice......lol

Nope, because I am just a quiet person over all and everything is usually inside my head. I will sing when I am by myself though. ^.^

Latest posts

Back