How to deal with apathy??!?!?!?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marigold

Reaction score
I have a problem! I'm suffering apathy for a long long time and it's killing me! I can't feel anything! Neither joy nor sadness.. Everything is.. so fake! I mean, when someone tells a joke.. yeah.. I smile because it's funny and I KNOW it's funny to me and that's why I laugh but I CAN'T FEEL it.. it's..
It's worse when this comes to music! I love music and when I'm listening to my favourite songs I can't even feel the thrill from that songs! Don't tell me that I don't like them anymore and that I should search for other music because that's so not true! I love the music I love but I can't feel it! I can't feel anything!! Really, anything.. That's killing me.. it's like living like a stone, you just exist, you don't really live.. It's awful 'cause I'm a musician as well, I sing, and when we perform I fail in it because I can't sing with inspiration as before.. a long long time ago.. it's killing me.. really..
Can anyone, please, tell me.. How the hell to deal with that **** apathy!! I can't stand it anymore.. it takes all my energy, it makes me "feel" sick and tired and I can't do anything but just lay or stay like a stone feeling nothing.. help me..

Who cares, figure it out later, nothing matters anyway, we're all going to die...

Start eating healthier too, get some exercise, and find a social event you can frequent at least once a week that challenges you to evolve yourself to get to know other people and perspectives...

or frequent that ALL chat... chat.alonelylife.com... that's what i did... and drink on occasion... both of which i no longer do, due to the ladder... best of luck... the best place to find inspiration is by finding out what inspires others...or at best one of the best ways... reading is good too..

if you already do all of that then...I'm not sure what the answer for you may be

The thing with apathy is that you don't find pleasure or pain in the things you used to love, but you do feel this deep anger inside of you when you detect yourself rotting away and I can see that in your letter, desperation is the only thing that feels real right?
This is no time to panic really, this means its a sign of mastery over what you once held such a high prize, you've got it already. And you should be open to other stuff, you shouldn't be afraid of knowing there's a unexplored side of you waiting to get out, in fact it can be as simple as changing your routine with the same idea in mind, but you have to feel emotion to it, what's one thing you would want in that moment, serenity, quite time, love, exercise, do you allow yourself to have these things? Life can feel so rushful at times and its not that we want to get back into motion like we superficially think, but to actually feel better in that afflicted time of introspection. I believe that that apathy is a sign of your doing to tell you that you have been neglectful of your needs, desires, and turn a deaf ear to what you feel, you ignore this things you end up believing they don't matter and why should you then have them and give up on tending your being, because there's a hunger deep inside of us that can't be filled by anyone, a special time you come to see yourself in your precious place untouched by anyone where your voice is heard and truly appreciated. Tell me, isn't this place influential in every way? And if you feel good hearing this, why shouldn't you, you don't need to back up every action and statement with reasons, don't all we want is to feel good, you've in fact already made your choice, this mushy feeling can only mean we have been looking to find this all along, that we WANT this and nothing else should even matter or be added because its perfect like this.
This is in fact a sign of change you must aid to its conception and you play a major role in it, the creator. That you should engage in new projects of your desire or curiosity. Don't force old habits, they lose their juice with time and help us move on to the next better thing at times. Its a chance to know where to head next. You could be more than a musician, why stop there, there's something there that's valuable to get. And your best talent might in fact be musician, but who knows, there's something that would make you happier and give it a more active motion in your life.
And the music has happened to me soooo many times before, but I've learned how to deal with it too. When I was younger I used to have those cheap mp3 players being not all that impressive. But far from it to me, I only had one linkin park album and I swear I was ready to rock the gym or sweep the courts. And now I'm with a massive ipod classic 160 Gigas!!:O
The reason for its doing is because you try to mask your true feelings with songs that once meant something to you but you're already way past that stage and try to look for the buzz when you heard it that first time. It doesn't work that way, and it is exactly related to your apathy issue, you feel stagnant, you feel empty, listen to yourself!! Once you've unleashed yourself, you will find the music has a different feel to it, you feel higher than before because you feel the past and present, you've moved on. But its very common to dig your emotions into music waiting for catharsis, but the music isn't your going to solve deep issues, you are. It will just remind you of your stagnant state, in which I say nothing is not nothing, there is always something to us, we are human after all.
Inspiration is creative, you can't recycle your own material time and time again, search for good desires, innovation is your friend here.
As for everything being so fake, its your inner habits telling you how much of a hypocrit you are when you engage something in which you don't really believe in. After all, you've had quite sometime doing this things, but don't get discouraged, this fakeness, this disgusting feeling inside, is your past thinking and you know when you first initiated that you felt the purity of the desire...just believe in it. Its true, but the your past voice is so strong. Don't listen to it. I know the fakeness, and it will only serve to prolong time and make harder a lesson later on.

ZXlexlion said:
The thing with apathy is that you don't find pleasure or pain in the things you used to love, but you do feel this deep anger inside of you when you detect yourself rotting away and I can see that in your letter, desperation is the only thing that feels real right?
This is no time to panic really, this means its a sign of mastery over what you once held such a high prize, you've got it already. And you should be open to other stuff, you shouldn't be afraid of knowing there's a unexplored side of you waiting to get out, in fact it can be as simple as changing your routine with the same idea in mind, but you have to feel emotion to it, what's one thing you would want in that moment, serenity, quite time, love, exercise, do you allow yourself to have these things? Life can feel so rushful at times and its not that we want to get back into motion like we superficially think, but to actually feel better in that afflicted time of introspection. I believe that that apathy is a sign of your doing to tell you that you have been neglectful of your needs, desires, and turn a deaf ear to what you feel, you ignore this things you end up believing they don't matter and why should you then have them and give up on tending your being, because there's a hunger deep inside of us that can't be filled by anyone, a special time you come to see yourself in your precious place untouched by anyone where your voice is heard and truly appreciated. Tell me, isn't this place influential in every way? And if you feel good hearing this, why shouldn't you, you don't need to back up every action and statement with reasons, don't all we want is to feel good, you've in fact already made your choice, this mushy feeling can only mean we have been looking to find this all along, that we WANT this and nothing else should even matter or be added because its perfect like this.
This is in fact a sign of change you must aid to its conception and you play a major role in it, the creator. That you should engage in new projects of your desire or curiosity. Don't force old habits, they lose their juice with time and help us move on to the next better thing at times. Its a chance to know where to head next. You could be more than a musician, why stop there, there's something there that's valuable to get. And your best talent might in fact be musician, but who knows, there's something that would make you happier and give it a more active motion in your life.
And the music has happened to me soooo many times before, but I've learned how to deal with it too. When I was younger I used to have those cheap mp3 players being not all that impressive. But far from it to me, I only had one linkin park album and I swear I was ready to rock the gym or sweep the courts. And now I'm with a massive ipod classic 160 Gigas!!:O
The reason for its doing is because you try to mask your true feelings with songs that once meant something to you but you're already way past that stage and try to look for the buzz when you heard it that first time. It doesn't work that way, and it is exactly related to your apathy issue, you feel stagnant, you feel empty, listen to yourself!! Once you've unleashed yourself, you will find the music has a different feel to it, you feel higher than before because you feel the past and present, you've moved on. But its very common to dig your emotions into music waiting for catharsis, but the music isn't your going to solve deep issues, you are. It will just remind you of your stagnant state, in which I say nothing is not nothing, there is always something to us, we are human after all.
Inspiration is creative, you can't recycle your own material time and time again, search for good desires, innovation is your friend here.
As for everything being so fake, its your inner habits telling you how much of a hypocrit you are when you engage something in which you don't really believe in. After all, you've had quite sometime doing this things, but don't get discouraged, this fakeness, this disgusting feeling inside, is your past thinking and you know when you first initiated that you felt the purity of the desire...just believe in it. Its true, but the your past voice is so strong. Don't listen to it. I know the fakeness, and it will only serve to prolong time and make harder a lesson later on.

Seriously?

D= you hate me!!!!!

jokes aside... i'm pretty sure some of us on this forum have our struggles with apathy, myself included. i'm not sure what apathy means for you, but i'll tell you what it means to me and hopefully you'll be able to relate to a few things. i've realized that apathy isn't just a lack of enthusiasm or emotion but.. anger. unresolved or seemingly unresolvable issues in your life that frustrate you. you feel stuck in a rut and don't feel like doing anything about it because you'd think, "what's the point?"
it's like this, "what's the point in making friends, they'd all think i'm a weird loser alien from space anyway." when i was really apathetic about 2 years ago, i felt tired all the time. i felt like the things that mattered to me didn't matter to others and at that point in time, there were a lot of misunderstandings and immaturity present in my life and myself. i was disconnected and disillusioned.

i don't often feel that way anymore since i've faced my fears and frustrations head-on. if you want to sing, sing. if you want to roll down a hill, roll down the hill. Don't deny yourself the experience that you desire but don't be delusional as well. Sometimes what we desire won't make us happy. For me.. well, what makes me happy... connecting with others, finding beauty in life amidst the chaos.

There's this quote that really resonated with me, it's from 'Six Feet Under'. "In the beginning, if you hate something, it's good, because you don't recognize the beauty of your own truth. You're used to being a pathetic human who only does what other people want, but what other people really want is to fresia you and to make money out of you." Sure, it all sounds slightly cynical. I won't deny that it's a dangerous world, but i also won't deny that there's beauty in the world. If you hate yourself, or you hate what you do or what you desire it's because you're not yet conscious of the beauty in your life. Every tragedy, success and experience has made you who you are. Recognize that you're not the only one who's suffered or succeeded, you have the choice to take control of your fragile existence and make your dreams a reality. Hell, i know that i might not succeed but i'd like to think i try. Even better still, since i'd know that the possibility of failure is just as plausible as succeeding, living on the precipice is exactly what i want. How can apathy take control of my life this way? I'd pretty much kick that little ***** off the cliff first before she gets her **** hands on me again.

We have lows and highs and sometimes we hit rock bottom. The key is to keep getting up, be aware and grow as a person.

First reply pretty much summed up what I think - it sounds like depression, rather than apathy. If you were truly apathic, you wouldn't care much about being like that either.

I believe apathy is a standalone problem. I don't think you suffer from depression or anything, you may have simply fallen into a grey period of your life. If I was to suggest something, I would say trying to get into something artistic, or something outside your comfort zone. Watch a movie or show which is known for being one of the saddest, or read a novel which has shredded the souls of readers for years and years.

I'm empathetic to a horrid degree because of those things. I still carry with me endings to books that I've read back when I was 12-13 years old, and they still make me cry if I dwell on them too long. However, I like the feeling. I know the plots have never happened so I won't be truly sad, but having that much raw emotion running through your head makes you feel so alive.

Then do something really out of your comfort zone. A few years ago I travelled to Kenya by myself on a whim. I was feeling pretty stale and needed a radical new experience. I went in October, and had no idea that was the month when the Serengeti Migration travels south.

I can't really describe the experience in words. I've tried and failed many times, it would just take too long. There is something truly transcendant about looking across a plain and seeing wildabest, elephant, gazelle, zebra etc. literally as far as you can see. There are about 2 million of these animals which all cross at one delta. I also erge you to visit the Monarch Butterfly Reserve just north of Mexico City. Just like the Great Migration, there is something infinitely beautiful about looking into the sky and seeing millions of Monarchs. Not to mention they turn trees orange because there are so many of them.

Sometimes if you're feeling out of it, you just really need to shock yourself. Try putting in front of you something you thought impossible, or something you never dreamed you'd see.

I've been struggling emotionally for years now - I had what I would call a horrible couple of years where I suffered from depression, I was on medication and I thought I had gotten better, I've finally realised I was NOT in fact better despite what people have been telling me. I can't relate to other human beings, I have no passion, no will to live, no libido, no will. I'm close to numb and worried about it. I can relate to a lot of the posters in this thread, I am an empathetic wreck you could say. I watch a drama movie on TV (something that I would NEVER do before, I'm a 19yo male) and it takes nothing to get me crying, I just realise so clearly what is so sad about the plot that it just sweeps me off my feet. I'm very close to emotionless, I try to imagine something horrible, like my family getting murdered and it hardly even phases me. Other than that I have no motivation, I keep thinking stuff like I'll practice my guitar more and become amazing at it, or play something like Starcraft to the point I might be able to compete at a high level - but I just can't rise to the occasion. I've been struggling to find out what the matter is with me for a long time now and I've finally realised it's apathy. I had the idea a couple of days ago and finally got myself off my bed to turn on the computer and try to google a solution. I'll contact my doctor as soon as I have the chance, even though I don't like his take on my issues, his solutions are either to give me medicine just because I ask for it or to give me pointless advice that aren't at all related to the actual issue - that I'm not well. Maybe I should get back on medication. Thanks to everybody who shared their stories, my experience is exactly how you describe it, thank you very much.

RawDeal said:
I've been struggling emotionally for years now - I had what I would call a horrible couple of years where I suffered from depression, I was on medication and I thought I had gotten better, I've finally realised I was NOT in fact better despite what people have been telling me. I can't relate to other human beings, I have no passion, no will to live, no libido, no will. I'm close to numb and worried about it. I can relate to a lot of the posters in this thread, I am an empathetic wreck you could say. I watch a drama movie on TV (something that I would NEVER do before, I'm a 19yo male) and it takes nothing to get me crying, I just realise so clearly what is so sad about the plot that it just sweeps me off my feet. I'm very close to emotionless, I try to imagine something horrible, like my family getting murdered and it hardly even phases me. Other than that I have no motivation, I keep thinking stuff like I'll practice my guitar more and become amazing at it, or play something like Starcraft to the point I might be able to compete at a high level - but I just can't rise to the occasion. I've been struggling to find out what the matter is with me for a long time now and I've finally realised it's apathy. I had the idea a couple of days ago and finally got myself off my bed to turn on the computer and try to google a solution. I'll contact my doctor as soon as I have the chance, even though I don't like his take on my issues, his solutions are either to give me medicine just because I ask for it or to give me pointless advice that aren't at all related to the actual issue - that I'm not well. Maybe I should get back on medication. Thanks to everybody who shared their stories, my experience is exactly how you describe it, thank you very much.

That's great of you!! I can't say anything that would add to your intention except its worthy of praise.
And you'd be surprised how emphatic you can be, of all people, I think us all have been through great depths. The way I saw it first, there's no where to go but up.
And its strange too you know, I ended up resenting my doctors, watch dramas, and google gave me this site a while back. And you look sober, good things rise from such clarity. And I'd end with take care but what's stopping ya.

Latest posts

Back