Getting over shyness

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm not shy when I'm with my friends, but when I'm alone talking to people I get shy, and I hate talking over the phone, any suggestions? :l

You're not shy when you're with your friends because you're comfortable and not afraid of them judging you. Try to clear you mind of any negative or obsessive thoughts like "what do they think of me" or "what should I say". Relax, act like you do when your with friends. Don't hold yourself back from saying what you want. If you start to feel shy, stop for a moment. Breathe. Reassure yourself that there is no reason to be shy. Listen closely to the conversation and engage yourself in it. If you are actively listening and participating in the conversation, that's where your mind's focus is and it won't have time to process the thoughts that cause you to be shy.

As far as talking on the phone, nobody can make you like it but yourself. I don't really like talking over the phone either so I minimize my time on it. I call friends when I need to contact them quickly and find out where they are or something. Any long conversations I dislike, but I do it anyway because I know it will make the other person happy. Understand that the person is just trying to reach out to you and the least you can do is listen to what they have to say. You don't have to stay on the phone forever. Politely end the conversation and you're free.

BrassMonkey said:
You're not shy when you're with your friends because you're comfortable and not afraid of them judging you. Try to clear you mind of any negative or obsessive thoughts like "what do they think of me" or "what should I say". Relax, act like you do when your with friends. Don't hold yourself back from saying what you want. If you start to feel shy, stop for a moment. Breathe. Reassure yourself that there is no reason to be shy. Listen closely to the conversation and engage yourself in it. If you are actively listening and participating in the conversation, that's where your mind's focus is and it won't have time to process the thoughts that cause you to be shy.

As far as talking on the phone, nobody can make you like it but yourself. I don't really like talking over the phone either so I minimize my time on it. I call friends when I need to contact them quickly and find out where they are or something. Any long conversations I dislike, but I do it anyway because I know it will make the other person happy. Understand that the person is just trying to reach out to you and the least you can do is listen to what they have to say. You don't have to stay on the phone forever. Politely end the conversation and you're free.

All I can think of at the moment is Beastie Boys, lol, sorry. :p

EveWasFramed said:
BrassMonkey said:

Lol. Brass monkey junkie, that funky monkey!

BrassMonkey said:
EveWasFramed said:
BrassMonkey said:

Lol. Brass monkey junkie, that funky monkey!

Uh oh...another 80s child?? lol

Being shy is also a way of saying inexperienced. (IMO)

Most socially inexperienced people are shy, the more you go out in public and associate with people the less shy you become. I think experience is the only cure for being shy. :)

Not true at all. Shyness comes from being nervous, usually. Like some musicians say that right before they go on stage, they're shy and nervous about it. But when they start performing, they aren't nervous anymore, and it goes away. Just relax. It will go away.

Kenneth Johnson said:
I'm not shy when I'm with my friends, but when I'm alone talking to people I get shy, and I hate talking over the phone, any suggestions? :l

You know I could give you a link to a site I think would benefit you.

The problem is all though I think if you could use this site it would help with your shyness I have trouble giving a link out where there is rude things happen.

Basically what happens at this place am thinking of is you have a cam and some other random stranger well have a cam and you get connected to some random and you start talking. About anything.
The problem is you get a lot of pervs on this site that just seat there jacking off... But however this is the Internet so I guss you well have seen all that be for :p There is ppl there that go there to talk and to make friends as well i,e ppl like me :D But I was thinking if you could seat there with your cam on your face and talk to ppl on there then you could talk to anyone. There is a lot there that seat there with there cam off. I think you should make yourself keep the cam on. I think it would give you moor confidence.

If you think this might help then PM me and I give you the link.
Also am going to need to know how old you are. So if your to young even though you probs seen rude things plenty of times be for am not going to be giving this link out :)

God all that took a lot longer to explain then I thought haha

Latest posts

Back