success stories

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

Elaeagnus

Hi everyone-

A few months ago, I wrote this:

If anyone eventually becomes a success story, come back and tell us about it! If things in your life improve tell us how and why. That way we might get some ideas about how to improve our own lives.

http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=674

At that time, I never imagined that I would be coming back here and posting my own success story. But that's what I'm going to do. I know that others, like Empathy and lonely2beeme, have recently come back to tell us that things have improved in their lives, and I'm sure many people found those posts inspirational and uplifting. I'm creating this thread in the hopes that we can gather all the success stories from this site in one spot. This thread will hopefully act as a positive reminder to all the members and guests that things can get better.

I have been battling loneliness my entire life. When I joined this site, I was also severely depressed. At first simply coming here and interacting with people who could relate to what I was going through was a huge source of relief and comfort. I didn't think I wanted anything else from the site, and I had settled for being lonely in my own life but knowing that I wasn't alone in that loneliness.

But as it turns out, there was more in store for me than that. I ended up meeting a very wonderful person here. I can't even begin to put into words what his friendship has meant to me over the past few months. Talking with him has not only allowed me to work through some issues that I've had in my personal life, but also to feel for the first time in my life like I am not alone. It's an amazing feeling, and I honestly hope that everyone here can find what I did.

I'm going to offer a bit of advice to all the members and guests here. There were a few times when I felt like leaving this site because I disagreed strongly with some of the views on the boards or because I found the attitudes of some people here offensive. But I stuck it out, and I'm glad that I did. One of the great things about this board is that it brings together people from all walks of life, from all over the world. So of course there are going to be some people that you disagree with or don't want to see another post from. But I think the key to using this site to its fullest is to keep looking and working until you find what it is that you are looking for. If you want a friend, PM people and chat with them. You probably won't strike gold on your first attempt. Imagine what the odds of that would be! But don't give up. Don't let a few people that have beliefs and attitudes different from your own bother you. Don't let anyone drive you away. When you leave, it should be because you are no longer lonely.

That's why I'm leaving. I'm not lonely anymore. I still have some issues to deal with, but all in all, I'm a much happier person than I was when I joined this site. Not only have I gotten what I wanted from this site, but I also got what I needed.

So, goodbye and good luck to everyone here, and thanks to all the people who have made this board a diverse and interesting community.

I hope this thread stays alive. Remember it, and when you can, post your success stories please.

Oh, and I'm sorry about the length. :rolleyes: I do go on, don't I?

It's great to hear that you've found happiness in your life, especially trough this site. Your story was very positive indeed. Congratulations!

If you should ever return to the site, I hope it's not because of loneliness ^^

Farewell, take care

it really is great that some people have trully found happiness through this site, and i may be one of this persons, because when i first entered this site, i just wanted to talk about loneliness as much as possible! and i did; it made me feel so good to just talk about this, may people told me to not enter this site anymore becaus eit was bad for me, but it only made me feel better, because believe it or not, this site gave me excatlly what i needed! and it made me feel great...but also, not only this site made me happy, but also meeting a boy that really cares about me! so i'm happy now, bu ti'm not going to leave this site, because inside i still have some problems and i'm still a little bit lonely...and i love this site! I LOVE LONELINESS! SO YOU ARE STILL GOING TO SEE ME AROUND HERE! BIG HUGS FOR EVERYONE!
PS: thank you very much for listening, and i hope nobody feels offended! loneliness may seem permanent...it slowly becomes smaler if you just believe!

Hey Elaeagnus

I am glad that you posted your own sucess story

Good Luck and Take care!

Elaeagnus,

You've been such a warm and wonderful addition to this site. You have again and again provided a calm and moderate point of view. You are truly an intelligent person and beautiful all around.

I hope that you will drop in from time to time just to keep in touch. We will miss you.

Sincerely,

Lonelygirl

good luck and dont stop coming totally there may be a time when you really need it again , most people with life long issues just dont become 100% cured ,the need will rise again and maybe we will all be around .
things have been going better for me not quite a sucsess story that is still to be seen next year after my move
however i am now in the hospital (bump in the road ,quite ill typing from my wireless laptop ) i need to have surgery without it i cant move next year
it is very risky , i could actually die . but i also try to think what if this happened 1 month after i moved there and didnt have any insurance ?
so maybe its a belessing it was gonna happen maybe better now than then right?
so it still hasent gotten me down yet, i feel anxious and i still cry over the lost love of my life every few days.but things dont seem as impossiable as they use to and that was what was overwhelming ,that useless to do anything feeling , that invisable feeling ,so im fine ,im ok ,far from sucess but on the whole doing much better.

here is my original post from my own thread like this:

hey hey
im feeling oddly bi polar lol
well for those of you who know me
you may have noticed i havent been as active as i use to be
its because i have finally made a few decissions in my life
started saveing money to move, decided where to move to
decided to finally get that divorce , researching everything i need to know to get going on my own.cleaning ,packing and makeing friends where i will be moveing to online.
so i have just been real busy and i am actually doing real well emotionally at this time, i figure closer to moving date i may have a few anxiety attacks
and then we call all do the *rolleyes* emote together lol
but for now i am feeling a lil better ,doing something about my situation helps get rid of that helplessness/useless feelings of not haveing any self worth . so for all those who posted and helped thanks,for those who sent pms even when i wasent on forums to my email thanks too
and i will be on here on and off all the time
if you have any questions just ask
yea i met a guy too living same area i will be moving to next year ,8 years older very nice , met him online when i did a search for the area i was interested in meeting people from so........who knows =)
anyway im feeling better hope summer does everyone else some good
much love

later gatorsssssssssss

I'm glad that you all have all been helped by this forum. But you do not explain how or why.

Elaeagnus,

What a truly inspiring and hope-filled story you shared with us. Sometimes in life we have to take a chance in the hopes that it will improve our lives. You did, and now you're happier and you're not alone. Good for you!

I wish you all the best.

I don't have a success story of my social life... I don't think I ever will. I did get a nice job in construction that pays extremely well and gives full benefits, vacation, insurance, etc as of late. I even managed to stay sober enough to pass the drug test. :D

the way these forums helped me the how was when i felt i would literally slit my wrists than be in pain i stumbled here
the why it helped it didnt it just gave me time to find my own way when i felt 100% alone at least i had somewhere to ask outloud rather thansit and scream alone inside my head
still not cured just it helped me thru a time when i had no one and couldnt do it alone
and lonelygirl loves to listen lol
much love

I am just the opposite. I wonder if people simply have trouble believing me that I have no use nor seek for consensual validation, commiseration or Encounter Group SHARING. Especially not when thereby feeling better without actually improving anything, seems only to pacify suffering people. Hence, both self interest and compassion each demand more of me. Not to mention that the advice is mostly so trite!

Now, most of the posters to this thread, are celebrating success. But my requests for real explanation have gone unanswered. That is why I am not more impressed.

Aaron,

Sorry you find so much advice 'trite' as you put it. Sometimes other human beings would rather hear from a warm, caring person than a cold, analytical person who comes across as pretentious.

Whatever. I find 'talking' with you to be an exercise in frustration. Everything I say to people here on this forum, I say from my heart. I care. And I'm not above giving tough love to those who need a reality check.

Like you, my dear.

Get off that high horse of yours, come back down to earth, and please do not attempt to patronize me.

Patronizing? Really? Am I to understand, then, that you demand the adult respect of straightforward criticism? Are you saying that I have held back and been insufficiently direct or candid?

I refuse to rise to your bait, Aaron.

There are a lot of things I can say, but I won't. It's an exercise in futility as well.

Latest posts

Back