Mad Money!!!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y

yesm

Did anyone ever watch that show "Mad Money with Jim Cramer"... where he would do the lightning round and talk about stocks lol?

Me and an old friend stumbled upon that show around the time it started airing... We would bake for a bit then watch TV and started becoming fans of the show lol...

anyway was wondering if anyone ever saw that show...

also I was wondering if anyone here trades in the stock market and if so... any tips for getting started? I've thought about online stock trading... but i have not the money for the initial deposit and such...

I have seen the show and its pretty entertaining at times.

Starting out with a low budget, I would suggest etf's (exchange trade funds). Lets you diversify without having multiple transactions.

You need to decide early how long you want to hold on to each transaction. If you buy stocks and then sell them within 6 months it is taxed at your income rate, but if you hold the stocks longer than 6 months, then it is a capital gains tax. Thats either 10 or 15 percent. I cant remember which right now, but next year I think capital gains tax is going up to 20 percent.

You spend less on taxes from long term holdings generally.

Start with ETFs or mutual funds. Whatever you do though, -study up before you start-. Start with sites like Investopedia.com and msnmoney.com , learn about fundamentals and technical patterns and ratios BEFORE you start to trade. And don't fall for penny stock scams unless you just want to take like $100 or something and throw it at something, but if you do that be ok with losing that $100.

I've been trading for about 3 years now. I've had some very profitable plays, percentage-wise, including Ford Motors, GE, and a few smaller companies. But my list of crap in the red is significantly larger because I was an idiot and entered the market at the top of a massive bubble without even realizing it. But we live and we learn, life goes on, and red ink will eventually turn green if I sit on most of it long enough.

Dividend stocks are great, by the way.

If you're going to do it, consider diversifying yourself in to something else as well. I'm also in to silver.

I recommend to people my age that they at least purchase a mutual fund or two. They are relatively low risk, and it gives your retirement some diversification.

yesm....if u dont even have the money to put down for a initial deposit i highly recommend you stay away from trading.it will only end in tears of fustration and months or even years of wasted time depending on whichever u ran out of first...money or patience.its not that difficult to set up a trading account with a online brokerage firm,only requires a initial deposit of a few thousand dollars and completing a couple of forms.i got my first trading account when i was 18 and im now 20.

i wouldnt take a show like "Mad Money" seriously,do some research on him on youtube,he has long been discredited by Jon steward,a political satire comedian,who completely trashed "mad money" by exposing jim cramer as another clueless idiot that promotes and gives stock tips of banks etc only to see them go bankrupt weeks later.not only is he a worthless stock analyst,he has even admitted to using his influence to profit in his hedge fund

theres no proof that technical analysis really works and no system of indicators or trading styles...trend trading,resistance trading,contrarian etc, has ever been shown to reproduce reliable results over the long run and can be passed on to other traders.theres tons of good books that can teach u how to grow ur money by 10% annually by investing in bonds, index etfs and call options etc, but if u want that magical trade that can turn ur investment into a 300% profit in a few short weeks or make hundreds of dollars in a few seconds,good luck

if u really want to learn about technical analysis i suggest u go to elitetrader forums,it has a huge community and lots of experienced traders.although in my opinion,the trading world is filled with so called gurus and their cult followers who spent all day bashing one another and making u and 95% of other morons believe that if u follow their trading system or blog u can become a succesful daytrader,that by identify waves and patterns in the stock charts it will automatically bring u untold riches

Yeah, I totally forgot to address that: JIM CRAMER IS A CLOWN. He's entertaining, but that's about all he is.

I'm a fundamentals kind of guy. Short term moves sometimes evidence themselves in patterns, but I've had better luck with buying high-value (different from high cost, note) stocks that seem to have promise. One was Ford after the big drop happened...they build the strongest and the best selling truck in the 'states, and they were the only automaker that didn't accept any money from the bailout nightmare. There was fundamentally no reason for them not to rebound, imo, and their stock was a steal.

Another was Universal Display Corp, a newer company manufacturing next-gen display devices. One of the only such companies receiving federal funding and military contracts, and actually starting to market products. Cha-ching :D

My only regret is not putting more money in to them. I haven't put enough money in to my good ideas, so far, and more than I should have in to the bad ones. But in terms of my overall finances I'm not really having a huge impact either way...rule 1 of investing: Never put in more than you've set aside for the task.

I think penny stock is highly speculative which make invest very risky.Plaese invest very careful.

Latest posts

Back