Prove to me that "1 + 1 = 3"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IVIZ

Reaction score
Every kind of possible way you can think of, but yes there is a way to make 1 + 1 into 3.

mintymint said:
Have sex make baby

Nice, haven't heard that one yet.

There's a lot of possibilities. Even a mathematical one...

There are three symbols to the left of the equals sign, a value of three to the right of it. ONE and a PLUS SIGN and another ONE equals a value of three. Woot.

This also reminds me of Orwell's 2+2=5.

Apart from that...sounds like you're dying to show your little trick to us, IVIZ, so spill it.

Ok well here is one way to do it:

If you were to say use "1.4" instead of just "1", its still really "1" because you can round it down. So if you were to then say "1.4 + 1.4 = 2.8" Then "2.8" can be rounded up to simple number "3"

So yeah, you can get 3 out of 1 + 1

1.4 isn't still really 1

That is like saying 4 is almost 5 so 4 + 4 = 10

In that case you can discount .4 baby.
20jnvoz.gif

Well, in binary numeral system used by computers: 1+1=10 (i.e. what we call "two" in decimal system)

And now ... I will create a numeral system ... named "pashalian numeral system" ... in which the sign 3 is used to designate the decimal value of "two" ... that is 1+1=3

Minus said:
1.4 isn't still really 1

Sure it can. An example could be when you want the weight of something. Most people just want to know the simplest whole number of pounds (lbs). So they would set the scale (perferable an electronic scale) to round up or down the numbers for them. So if something weighs 1.4 lbs, then it would show up as only 1 lbs on the scale. But if someone has two of the same item and wants to know the weight of both of them at the same time, you would think all you have to do is just add 1+1 right, duhh. But if you were to put the two items on the scale at the same time, it will read 3 lbs, because its true weight for both items is actually 2.8 lbs.

So there :p

That is a rounding error. You can not prove anything mathematically by accepting error even if they happen to be convent.

If you chose to believe that 1.4 is the same thing as 1, then that is up to you. The next time the cashier says that you owe $1.40, just try giving them a $1.00 and telling them it is the same thing as $1.40.

Ok fine you win. I guess everyone here just doesn't keep an open mind on things or can think outside the box.

I Also thought I posted this in the "Games" section and not in the "Lets be Serious" section. The point was for anyone to find a way (funny, dumb or clever) to make 1 + 1 = 3. I thought the one about the getting together and making a baby was pretty funny, I was hoping for more stories like that one to keep coming from more posters. Thats cool, good game guys.

What IVIZ is talking about is mathematical fallacies. They're designed to prove a point about mathematics, not to be empirically correct by normal definition. Mathematical fallacies are something of an exercise in thinking, not so much a method of measuring or calculating.

Here's the Wiki link, because there's no way I could explain it sufficiently to everyone. :p Also partly because I'm not a math genius, so much of it is beyond my reach anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_fallacy

IVIZ said:
.... can think outside the box.

f_minusm_906c16a.gif

As BJD points out it is a fallacy. You are trying to pass it off as a fact. I am sorry if i missed the point of trying to pass off misinformation as humor. I did mention that it is fine for you to believe that 1.4 is the same as 1. I just won't be taking any math lessons from you.

Latest posts

Back