The Catch-22 of Loneliness...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Sage

Reaction score
When you're lonely, people often tell you to use that time, or that they themselves wouldn't mind being left alone. They can say this, because they're not alone and don't know what it's like.

When I got unceremoniously dumped this summer, I mentioned transferring schools to a couple of people, who advised me to just suck it up for one more year. What they don't realize is that I'm in my mid-to-late 20s and don't have that wonderful time to just "wander" or "find myself". And what I want isn't even that hard to get. A good, supportive group of people. Not even necessarily another love interest. Just a group of friends, people to go on road trips with or hang out with or whatever.

My closest friend is an engaged 29-year-old who was another non-trad student who disappears and reappears because she's got her own mental hang-ups. But she can do that because she lives with her fiancee and has a group of friends. She said that while my dream trip would be wandering South America with her/others hers would be doing it alone.

That doesn't appeal to me! I do everything alone! That's the whole problem!

You know... when you're getting no replies on a loneliness forum, I think you're sinking about as low as one can go.

Nonetheless, I'll continue to post here, because I actually like opinions/replies, which is why this isn't going into the diary section.

I think a common problem among many depressed/lonely people are that we know exactly what we're missing. Life is good. Life is awesome. It's the summer in the hemisphere I'm in, which means pleasant weather and increased free time. Doing things outdoors. And yet today I literally never left the apartment. Not once.

I got a text on Thursday from a girl who recently graduated saying that it was good to see me. Yeah... and? I got a text from my engaged friend that we should hang out this weekend. It's more than half over now.

This is my life, and I'm dying one breath at a time...

I just don't even feel motivated sometimes to go out. I feel like when I do, I have a mask of pretentious happiness on.
I want to be more outgoing and take people up on trips and offers, but my mind beats me down and finds a million reasons not to go out. Maybe I'm a little agoraphobic.

But I take it that since you're in college and there are a lot of people there, maybe you should see if they have like a Best Buddies club or something. I know that it's usually for awkard college freshmen, but I feel that at this point where you are, I don't think you'd mind a supportive group of awkward college freshmen.

I know what you mean. People always say it's better to be alone when they have someone, and lonely people say it's better not to be alone. Maybe it's one of those "grass is greener on the other side" type scenarios.

I always feel like my summer is wasted because I don't have anyone to hang out with and do fun stuff with. A road trip is one of the things on my bucket list. Have to find some people to hang out with first

Hey Vic...

I was an older student in the uk. At the start of my course I wasn't able to go to all the get-to-know-people events coz ... well, my pa wasn't well and I was having to travel 3 hours each way, every day... so by the time all that was done with, all the cliques and groups had formed and I was already the 'mental' one coz I'd been 'maring about all over the place for weeks... so no-one wanted to speak to me anyway. So I felt worse, and less sociable, which suited the other students coz the worse I was feeling the less outward looking I became and the less they wanted to speak to me anyway... It got to the point where the tutor would ask us to get into groups and I was left on my own at the back...

Catch-22 is darn tooting.

:(

Vic Sage said:
I think a common problem among many depressed/lonely people are that we know exactly what we're missing. Life is good. Life is awesome. It's the summer in the hemisphere I'm in, which means pleasant weather and increased free time. Doing things outdoors. And yet today I literally never left the apartment. Not once.

I got a text on Thursday from a girl who recently graduated saying that it was good to see me. Yeah... and? I got a text from my engaged friend that we should hang out this weekend. It's more than half over now.

So ******* true. You said everything I would've said, if I could find the words :/

Life is good. Life is awesome. Why can't I just feel that way? How can I deserve such a punishment? People say this, people say that, but things never happen .. And when they do, they usualy suck. I feel like I'm fading away in this numbness.. I just can't believe what I'm seeing. Where the hell am I? And who brought me, coz i dont believe i would've walked in this place with my own two feet.
Vic Sage said:
This is my life, and I'm dying one breath at a time...

Arent we all.

Vic Sage said:
When you're lonely, people often tell you to use that time, or that they themselves wouldn't mind being left alone. They can say this, because they're not alone and don't know what it's like.

When I got unceremoniously dumped this summer, I mentioned transferring schools to a couple of people, who advised me to just suck it up for one more year. What they don't realize is that I'm in my mid-to-late 20s and don't have that wonderful time to just "wander" or "find myself". And what I want isn't even that hard to get. A good, supportive group of people. Not even necessarily another love interest. Just a group of friends, people to go on road trips with or hang out with or whatever.

My closest friend is an engaged 29-year-old who was another non-trad student who disappears and reappears because she's got her own mental hang-ups. But she can do that because she lives with her fiancee and has a group of friends. She said that while my dream trip would be wandering South America with her/others hers would be doing it alone.

That doesn't appeal to me! I do everything alone! That's the whole problem!

Yeah I guess it's easy to say being alone is fine when you have a group of close friends around you. It would be assumptious to say I understand, so instead I'll say, I can relate to how you feel. My family keeps telling me how ok it is to be alone; but I mean, of course your saying that, you have so many people around you.

I think one of the worst parts of loneliness is when you're in a room full of people, yet you've never more alone in your life. It's almost like you're not even there as others are laughing and smiling around you.

Latest posts

Back