Any good books to recommend?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkm370

Reaction score
title says it all,anyone got any good books to recommend, anything goes, i like fiction, non fiction, history, economics, politics, i have a thing for booksl ike 1984, it cant happen here, or anything of that stripe...so got any good books to recommend?

Since this isn't a Miscellaneous Issue, i will move it over to Entertainment.

If you like 1984 then I seriously suggest reading Orwell's other works. Although not all similar they are all brilliant. I really recommend Down and Out in Paris and London probably my favourite of his. Also you should check out his essays.

I also recommend the Frantic Planet books by up and coming writer Stuart Millard - www.franticplanet.com he writes excellent short stories so there's bound to be something you like.

ohh if you like economic books you should definatly read freakanomics and super freakanomics if you haven't yet Malcom gladewll writes some really great smart stuff, read tipping point and I'm reading outliers which is also quite good

HARRY POTTER!!
and Mary shelly's frankenstien
:D

evanescencefan91 said:
ohh if you like economic books you should definatly read freakanomics and super freakanomics if you haven't yet Malcom gladewll writes some really great smart stuff, read tipping point and I'm reading outliers which is also quite good

HARRY POTTER!!
and Mary shelly's frankenstien
:D

lol,ive read freakanomics, but not super freakanomics, i ordered one of Naomi Kleins "The rise of disaster capitalism", hopefully its good

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

ill have to check it out

If you like 1984 then I seriously suggest reading Orwell's other works. Although not all similar they are all brilliant. I really recommend Down and Out in Paris and London probably my favourite of his. Also you should check out his essays.

I also recommend the Frantic Planet books by up and coming writer Stuart Millard - http://www.franticplanet.com he writes excellent short stories so there's bound to be something you like.

ill have to check it, thanks for the link!

Since you mention 1984, you might want to check out another dystopian classic: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

My current favorite author is Joyce Carol Oates, so I have been reading everything of hers I can get my hands on.

lkm370 said:
title says it all,anyone got any good books to recommend, anything goes, i like fiction, non fiction, history, economics, politics, i have a thing for booksl ike 1984, it cant happen here, or anything of that stripe...so got any good books to recommend?

Read war and peace should only take a couple of years

It depends upon us what type of book we like to read. I like to read stories and novels. I like to read Five people you meet in heaven , Tuesdays with morrie by mitch albom book. I like to suggest this book to read once.

I am a bookworm and likes to read different genres. Here's some of my favorites:
Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan, Sandman by Neil Gaiman, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, 100 years of Solitude & Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Hearts in Atlantis & Different Seasons by Stephen King, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, LOTR & The Hobbit by Tolkien, Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice... I could recommend others but it may not be to your liking since it's associated with chick lit.

I am reading now Different Seasons and would follow this up with the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Llarson... All highly recommended. Happy reading!!! :D

extremely loud and incredibly close by Jonathan Safran Foer
oryx and crake by Margaret Atwood

IF You a fantasy friction fan Then I suggest you check the "A Song of Ice and Fire 'series by George RR Martin, the series really well (it's not finished yet though), and its characterization is great.

huggybear said:
lkm370 said:

Read war and peace should only take a couple of years

Nuh uh, I read it over a summer. :)

"Yesterday, I Cried" by Iyanla Vanzant, I loved it...it was such a comfort for me. I recommend this book to everyone that has ever needed comfort and want to read something that is relateable, helpful and soothing.

I found this book by chance in the school library a couple years ago, I had it for weeks without even looking at it until I finally started reading it...and I found it boring at first..but then her words hit me with an impact the more I read and this book is one of my all time favorite books because she goes through so many hardships in her life and yet as you read you can truly feel the spirit of her words are filled with love and acceptance and beauty.

As I read this book, I would catch myself writing down pages and pages of quotes from this book, one quote that I always hold on to is this one,

There always comes a time of elimination. The earth sheds each year, the trees and flowers let go of their identity. As the old identity dies, a new identity is born. The body sheds constantly. Some of it happens invisibly, so naturally and silently that we do not realize it is happening. The heart and the spirit also shed. They shed the emotions and experiences that we no longer need. They shed the things that stunt our growth. This, too, is an invisible process. Yet because of the energy involved, the emotional energy,we often feel the emotional and spiritual shedding,it feels as if we are dying. We are. Just like the flowers and the trees, we are dying to an old identity. This shedding, or death, is not the end of us. It is the beginning.

And this beautiful poem is also from her book,

Yesterday, I cried.
I came home, went straight to my room,
sat on the edge of my bed,
kicked off my shoes,
unhooked my bra,
and I had myself a good cry.

I'm telling you,
I cried until my nose was running all over
the silk blouse I got on sale.
I cried until my ears were hot.
I cried until my head was hurting so bad
that I could hardly see the pile of
soiled tissues lying on the floor at my feet.

I want you to understand,
I had myself a really good cry yesterday.

Yesterday, I cried,
for all the days that I was too busy,
or too tired,
or too mad to cry.

I cried for all the days, and all the ways,
and all the times I had dishonored,
disrespected, and
disconnected my Self from myself,
only to have it reflected back to me
in the ways others did to me
the same things I had already done to myself.

I cried for all the things I had given,
only to have them stolen;
for all the things I had asked for that
had yet to show up;
for all the things I had accomplished,
only to give them away,
to people in circumstances,
which left me feeling empty,
and battered and plain old used.

I cried because there really does
come a time when the only thing left
for you to do is cry.

Yesterday, I cried.
I cried because little boys get
left by their daddies;
and little girls get forgotten by their mommies;
and daddies don't know what to do, so they leave;
and mommies get left, so they get mad.

I cried because I had a little boy,
and because I was a little girl,
and because I was a mommy
who didn't know what to do,
and because I wanted my daddy to be there
for me so badly until I ached.

Yesterday, I cried.
I cried because I hurt.
I cried because I was hurt.
I cried because hurt has no place to go
except deeper into the pain that
caused it in the first place,
and when it gets there,
the hurt wakes you up.

I cried because it was too late.
I cried because it was time.

I cried because my soul knew that I didn't know
that my soul knew everything I needed to know.

I cried a soulful cry yesterday,
and it felt so good.

It felt so very, very bad.

In the midst of my crying,
I felt my freedom coming,
Because Yesterday,
I cried with an agenda.

I love this, so much...and if you liked these quotes, you'll definitely like the book, now I shall shush because this post is far too long already.

Atlas Shrugged-Ayn Rand
Forever changed my view of the world.
I read it in the 80's and many times since.
In 2009 or 2010 it sold more copies than in all the years combined since 1959.

Don't have time to look up all the authors but if you are looking for recent fiction these are decent.

looking for alaska
an abundance of katherines
paper towns
perks of being a wallflower
dont sleep with your drummer
brave new girl
brave new world
thirteen reasons why
speak
if i stay
before i fall
willow
hold still
manhatten loverboy
the virgin suicides
what happened to goodbye
by the time you read this i'll be dead
ship breaker
living dead girl
stolen
how it ends
the brief wondrous life of oscar wao (the best out of these)
say you're one of them

Most of those I read recently but a couple are in there just because they are awesome :)
I just finished outliers which was pretty cool. I plan on reading tipping point. I read blink but I didn't really like it and it seemed kind of pointless. I started reading the Anita Blake series. Its about 19 books so it should keep me busy for a while :)

Latest posts

Back