marriage

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmswhs

Reaction score
i just read a success story here about a couple getting married and i was really happy for them:) yes, a little jealous but still very happy for them.

i don't believe in marriage myself. do other people here believe in marriage?

It's not for me. I'm not totally against the idea. I suppose some people stay true to idea of marriage, staying in love and such. But it's just not my thing. I can end up bare-foot and pregnant without it. :p

that's kind of how i see it. paper and vows etc. don't really equate to what might really happen. i hate writing this, because of people who do find happiness in marriage, and some sure do. so i think that's great, but aside from that, i'm pretty disillusioned by it.

I believe in it, despite and antiquity of the whole thing. I wish to be married some day... far down the line... far. Though that probably won't happen in my life time. But, I still think it's a good thing.

There's up and downs to marriage and signing a paper doesn't really mean much to the relationship as a whole. Getting married doesn't ensure a "happily ever after". It's the whole ceremony that's appealing to me. Like going to a graduation ceremony; You don't have to go to officially graduate, it doesn't make your diploma any more valid, it's just the experience you want to participate in.

I imagine it's less meaningful to someone who's been married before though.

I believe in marriage, itself. I do not believe that every marriage out there was the right decision.

I believe in marriage, but deep down I'm not sure I'm the type of guy that would be good for a woman to marry.

Not soon, anyway.

I wouldn't say it's any less meaningful to someone who has been married before. They may just need another try to get it right. Love has no time limit.

VanillaCreme said:
I wouldn't say it's any less meaningful to someone who has been married before. They may just need another try to get it right. Love has no time limit.

lmao, sometimes it takes one, two or even three tries for some people. :p lol

Marriage is useful because it's recognized in many legal situations, so in that regard I believe in marriage. Otherwise it's just a piece of paper and not a guarantee of love or monogamy.

csmswhs said:
i just read a success story here about a couple getting married and i was really happy for them:) yes, a little jealous but still very happy for them.

i don't believe in marriage myself. do other people here believe in marriage?

Marriage is groovy there is nothing wrong with it actually marriage is a good thing i find it a shame that society has changed so that marriage isnt something that a lot of people consider anymore it symbolises a lot its probably one of the few traditions that we as a species would be best to keep because you know there is always divorce if the 2 parties decide they dont get along ...

Marriage means different things to different people for some its convenient for others a passion but i think its a good thing and something that is good for children and humanity as a whole but there is nothing wrong with not getting married by why wouldnt you if you were in love and especially had children

Well, why bother with divorce when you can just not get married in the first place? :)

my ex tried for eleven years to get me to marry her. i knew from the beginning, it wasn't right and would never work, well, part of me did. so i resisted the everpresent pressure and tactics.

i also came up with a line in response, not sure how original this is, but the thought WAS original to me: "marriage doesn't make a relationship, it just makes a relationship legal" *shudder*

:D

I like the idea of marriage, but until the laws regarding both marriage and divorce change A LOT, it's not something I'd seriously consider again.

Marriage is very important to me. It's one of the biggest decisions that a person can possibly make in their life, and therefore it must be considered extremely carefully.

My ultimate desire is to marry a girl and stay faithful to her for the rest of my life. I believe deeply in the marriage vow: "I will love you and honor you all the days of my life ... until death do us part". But to be able to take that vow seriously, I must know and understand myself and my partner very intimately indeed. I want to spend many years getting to know her, first just as a friend, and then as a girlfriend. I'll ask myself: "Do I sincerely believe I can spend the next 50 years married to this girl, no matter what might happen?" When I'm absolutely 100% convinced that I can take the vow sincerely, I can propose marriage. If I never reach 100%, then I can't marry her. And once I'm married, I will honor the vow with my life. No matter what temptation comes my way, I've sworn to be faithful to my wife. It's the most wonderful union in which two people can exist. My parents have been married for 40 years, and it's a real inspiration to see their marriage so healthy and long-lasting.

(Because I hold the marriage vows so deeply, I also believe that a deep and stable marriage is the only environment in which children should be born and raised. However, this is a highly debatable topic, and I don't wish to start such a debate here. Our Controversial - Up for Debate forum is more appropriate for this.)

QuietGuy said:
Marriage is very important to me. It's one of the biggest decisions that a person can possibly make in their life, and therefore it must be considered extremely carefully.

My ultimate desire is to marry a girl and stay faithful to her for the rest of my life. I believe deeply in the marriage vow: "I will love you and honor you all the days of my life ... until death do us part". But to be able to take that vow seriously, I must know and understand myself and my partner very intimately indeed. I want to spend many years getting to know her, first just as a friend, and then as a girlfriend. I'll ask myself: "Do I sincerely believe I can spend the next 50 years married to this girl, no matter what might happen?" When I'm absolutely 100% convinced that I can take the vow sincerely, I can propose marriage. If I never reach 100%, then I can't marry her. And once I'm married, I will honor the vow with my life. No matter what temptation comes my way, I've sworn to be faithful to my wife. It's the most wonderful union in which two people can exist. My parents have been married for 40 years, and it's a real inspiration to see their marriage so healthy and long-lasting.

(Because I hold the marriage vows so deeply, I also believe that a deep and stable marriage is the only environment in which children should be born and raised. However, this is a highly debatable topic, and I don't wish to start such a debate here. Our Controversial - Up for Debate forum is more appropriate for this.)

My sentiments exactly its a shame people these days could even ask the question is marriage a good thing or not its amazing to see how much this generation has changed since the last back even in the 50's people married young and children born outside of marriage was unheard of it was that way for thousands of years but nowadays every 2nd child is from a one parant home but i technology and life has changed so much about the way we live life these days were too busy all the time and i think the wrong messages being thrown at us by the media has changed all that

life isnt so simple anymore and sometimes that effects some people more than others People are just too stressed out these days with city life traffic university mortages rent credit cards jobs electricity bills car bills phone bills mirrors and waiting at the doctors surgury theres too much to fret about

My thoughts about marriage come from seeing how useless it can turn out to be. And my thoughts of not needing a piece of paper in order to love someone. I'm sure getting married is a great thing, to those who care. I believe in the vows actually, but I don't need marriage to stay loving and faithful to someone.

I never really experienced any divorces in my life. My mom's friends got divorced, which was nasty, because we were so close to them. But my parents have been married for 25, 26 years. So I didn't grow up in a broken home that would make me discard marriage.

I believe in marriage! If I wouldn't believe in God, I also would believe in marriage because it would be saying to the one that you are marrying that you really love them.

For me it is becoming one under God and also asking Him to bless the marriage.

I would've believed in marriage, but experiences in life changed that point of view. I believe in deep friendship with love, but marriage seems trivial part of that.

I believe in marriage. I would love to be married someday. But it's not something one should rush into.

Latest posts

Back