I challenge you: 5 things you're grateful for

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThinkPositive

Reaction score
Someone tried to start something like this recently but it didn't seem to go very far. I thought maybe if I treat it like a "game" I'll get your attention. :D

List 5 things you're grateful for. It can be anything, big or small. It doesn't have to be in any particular order; it can be a "Top 5" if you want, or just random. Try not to repeat anyone. I just want to see if we can get a lot of variety. Feel free to post more than once!

There's so much sadness on this forum sometimes...let's get some happy thoughts rolling!

I'll start:

~ My wonderful boyfriend
~ My education: I somehow lucked out in good public education all the way through high school, and ended up attending a competitive private university, which I loved every moment of.
~ Living in the beautiful, diverse country of the US of A, warts and all
~ Movies: The mere existence of this amazing art form and entertainment. To think most of human history has gone without!
~ My misfortunes and hardships: Yes, I'm grateful for them, for making me into a stronger, more mature, wiser person.

1. My home and family.
2. My schooling and degree (this December!)
3. My outlook on life; either somehow found by me or created through my life experience.
4. My doggies.
5. Women. And no, that's not a suck-up answer. I gotta admit; I adore 'em.

-Money
-My friends
-Death metal
-The screams of my vanquished foes
-The smell of napalm in the morning

My musical abilities, such as they are
My creative inclinations
Digital photographic technology
The willful spirit of human ingenuity
Cheese

(Family and friends would've been at the top of this list, but other people already said those)

1. Being single again. Weird, I know. I hate it, but it has paved the way to a lot of self-understanding, and I've made some truly remarkable friends along the way.

2. My conscience. Because I know now that what I gained in charm I lost in compassion; but I never became deaf to the voice of my conscience, which always ensured that no-one got hurt. Phew!

3. Being physically fit, to the extent that I've got even better abdominal definition than I had in my 20s. Hopefully, it should satisfy my vanity enough to ensure that my vanity need not be bolstered any other way!

4. Clear starry nights; perfect for sitting back and reflecting on things.

5. 'A Glass of Champagne' by Sailor. Cos it cheers me up. Also, once I get back into dating again, I hope to woo a lady with this song, and hopefully dance stupidly with her to it. Women, you have been warned!

1. My ability to run, if I didnt have running I think I'd be worse off than I am.
2. My car, it gets me places I want to go.
3. My college course, it's definitely something I want to be passionate about, wanting because I'm overcoming depression and I my motivation went way down last year, I'm hoping this year I'll have the energy to work hard at it.
4. My younger brother, he has the ability to make me smile no matter what mood I'm in.
5. My Mother, my family in general, but my Mother for helping me get going when I don't think I can.

All the people I love
my hearing-- without it I'd miss the music and musings of others
my sight-- to see the beauty that sometimes hides behind the masks and walls of others
Turkish vendors
I know it's a repeat but--Badjedidude's great attitude..It makes me smile...Gotta be grateful for ALL the smiles...

I'm liking what I'm seeing. Keep 'em coming. :)

Magpieorpigeon said:
1. My ability to run, if I didnt have running I think I'd be worse off than I am.

Yay, another runner! You know, sometimes when I'm sad and frustrated, I think "I thought they said that exercise makes you happy!? How come I'm still sad!?" Well, it may not *cure* anything for me, but like you said, I'm sure I'd be worse off without it. Do you run races? They really keep me motivated. :) I did my first full marathon recently and right now I'm working on improving my 10k time.

ThinkPositive said:

Magpieorpigeon said:

Yay, another runner! You know, sometimes when I'm sad and frustrated, I think "I thought they said that exercise makes you happy!? How come I'm still sad!?" Well, it may not *cure* anything for me, but like you said, I'm sure I'd be worse off without it. Do you run races? They really keep me motivated. :) I did my first full marathon recently and right now I'm working on improving my 10k time.

Runner here too - not done a full or even half marathon yet, but have done 10 miles, and recently completed a 10k with my club, albeit not with a great time (was a swelteringly hot evening!)

Ever had Jogger's Nipple? Nasty, ain't it!

Electric_F--
I would never joke about the, "Vendor" his kebabs are exquisit! ;)
For that I am grateful...

I am grateful for the following:

...cups of tea

...Peter Andre

...I'm not French

...teh interwebz (Tim Berners-Lee you are the DUDE!)

...............but mostly I'm grateful for living in a 21st century, economically developed, socially liberal, technologically advanced, half-decent democracy. That isn't France.

I am greatful for:

1 Top of the list has got to be my two beautiful teenage daughters
2 My laptop and the internet...without it I wouldn't be here (on this site I mean)
3 For the job I have, working with children who have autism. Challenging but rewarding.
4 My white boxer pup....energetic and loving, we enjoy the walks we have in the woods together.
5 Peanut butter on toast!

Electric_Fusilier said:
ThinkPositive said:

Magpieorpigeon said:

Runner here too - not done a full or even half marathon yet, but have done 10 miles, and recently completed a 10k with my club, albeit not with a great time (was a swelteringly hot evening!)

Wow, cool, I don't think I've had the chance to relate to another runner before!! Yea, I ran a 10 mile last summer, my first proper race, this summer I signed up for a 3 run series in Dublin, the 5 mile, 10 mile and Half Marathon, my times aren't the greatest but tbh I havent started challenging myself like tha yet. I have the 5 mile done, I ran it in 44 minutes, thats about 8k i think. Wow, I havent reached the stage of a marathon yet, but its in my goals! Then after that its onto Triathlons! How do you motivate yourself? What was your marathon time? Congrats on finishing it!!! Have you ever heard of the book "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Haruki Murikami? It has a great account of his entry into running and eventually onto triathlons.

1. My darling daughters.
2. My current love.
3. My artistic & creative ability.
4. The fact that I can cook really, really well.
5. That I still have my sense of humor.

Magpieorpigeon said:
Wow, cool, I don't think I've had the chance to relate to another runner before!! Yea, I ran a 10 mile last summer, my first proper race, this summer I signed up for a 3 run series in Dublin, the 5 mile, 10 mile and Half Marathon, my times aren't the greatest but tbh I havent started challenging myself like tha yet. I have the 5 mile done, I ran it in 44 minutes, thats about 8k i think. Wow, I havent reached the stage of a marathon yet, but its in my goals! Then after that its onto Triathlons! How do you motivate yourself? What was your marathon time? Congrats on finishing it!!! Have you ever heard of the book "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Haruki Murikami? It has a great account of his entry into running and eventually onto triathlons.

Thanks. :) My marathon time was just under 4.5 hours...That was the slow end of my projected time, because before that, I ran half marathons in under 2 hours. I'm not too worried though...just gives me more to improve for my next one. :D I'm intrigued by triathlons, but I don't know...you have to be skilled in totally different muscle groups! Actually I was talking about this with a swimmer the other day -- he's intimidated by the running part and I'm intimidated by the swimming part, lol. I know of the Murakami book, though I haven't read it. To me, my motivation is all about doing races...I don't think I could be one of those people that just goes out and runs just "because," for fitness or whatever. I need specific goals in mind. Anyway, I'm very grateful I found a sport I'm actually good at, because I always sucked at the sports you do as a kid.

Electric_Fusilier said:

You should do a half, you're practically there already if you've done 10 miles. And no, I've never had the nipple problem because I'm a girl. :p I just get really bad blisters/calluses.

cheaptrickfan said:

Wow, I really respect people who can cook well. I should learn how to cook...decently.

I like this thread :p

hmm apart from my beloved ones

well everyday... ( to me everyday's a gift added to my life to make something of it lol)
My twisted view of the world (o_o yeah..)
The existence of ice cream :)D)

ThinkPositive said:
cheaptrickfan said:

Wow, I really respect people who can cook well. I should learn how to cook...decently.

All it takes is the desire to cook and a few basic cookbooks to start. :)

Latest posts

Back