My immigrant story

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imnotdead

Reaction score
My family and I came here legally when I was around nine. I enrolled into school and everything was going fine until due to some circumstances we couldn't extend our visa and so we lost our status. My parents decided to stay and so I finished high school and enrolled into college. Because of my status my family pays out of state tuition for me to go to school. I know they work hard for me to go to school but because of this situation I dont know where my future is going. I can't legally work or drive so I don't do either. I'm completely dependent on the family.

I'm an adult now and I thought about going back many times but I know if I do I wouldn't be able to come back (b/c of status breach). Also I wouldnt be able to afford to go to school there (I'm not from Mexico) so I have nothing to go back to.

My family and I don't get along well at all but because I'm dependent on them I have to put up with everything. It's getting really bad I feel like I walk on eggshells because my parents and their conservative views wont let me make my own decisions. Our fights have gotten emotionally abusive and its draining all that I have. Yet I can't get away like every other person my age is. It's getting harder and harder to wait for something to happen. My parents are talking about the Dream Act or Amnesty or encourage me to get married but when is this going to happen?

I feel so alone. My friends are moving forward in their lives and I'm not. I'm loosing people in my life and it's hard to make new friends given the position I'm in. There are so many things I can't do and I can't get away from home even though mentally its probably a best thing for me. If I go back I can't financially support myself or go to school so who knows what would happen to me. I'm loosing it right now. I'm on a verge of a breaking point.

I guess I just need someone to talk to or give me some advice or something or help me in anyway if you are in this situation or know someone who is.

Hi-
Don't know where you live but there may be others around you in your situation too. This being California, I have quite a few acquaintances without papers. I don't think you can legalize your status by getting married but if you get involved with immigrant groups in your area you may find some useful resources.

Teresa

That is a really tough situation, and you've got my sympathies...

My family are immigrants too, though we were lucky enough to get a green card and now I'm a citizen. I know that lots of other people aren't so lucky...and it's especially tough to hear about cases like this where you immigrated so young you basically ARE of the country!

I don't know enough about the system to give you practical advice, though...I'm actually pretty sure marriage gives you a fast track to citizenship, though obviously that's not something you should do JUST for that reason. I wonder if there's a lawyer you can talk to?

Best of luck to you.

Your folks and you should focus on trying to get a green card (citizenship). And You'll probably have to put up with your parents until you get your degree from college. It's going to be hard, but if your dreams are strong enough you can do it. *hug*

SophiaGrace said:
Your folks and you should focus on trying to get a green card (citizenship). And You'll probably have to put up with your parents until you get your degree from college. It's going to be hard, but if your dreams are strong enough you can do it. *hug*

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but a green card and citizenship are not the same. A green card is permanent residency. It gives you most of the rights of citizens - working, resident status for school, etc. - but there's a few things you can't do, the biggest being voting. Either of these things are very difficult to obtain if you're currently considered illegal.

why did you say 'im not from mexico?' mexican college is not cheap.

as for your situation, sorry to hear that. sounds like a bas situation to be in.

I'm sorry, that sounds like a tough situation. I don't understand the immigration laws at all, but it seems unfair that you were placed in this situation to begin with.

Hey imnotdead.
do stick around. there are options that you can think of, and i am sure that alot of people here will be quite willing to talk to you, and to help you think of ways past your troubles.

i see that you only have one post here - but... eh. lets hope it's not the last.
come back and tell us what's up, will you?

I had a guy friend before that I was considering marrying for papers. I talked to him and he said he would think about it. Unfortunately I screwed it up :(

Hi-
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I have some close family members and friends who are in the same situation. Be careful on how you go about trying to legalizing yourself, though. There's a lot of misinformation out there. If you are here illegally, marrying a U.S. citizen will not confer citizenship on yourself. The law changed about 10 years ago on that. So be careful. :)

Teresa

Latest posts

Back