Does Chronic Loneliness = Social Retardation?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. And also the other way around; Social Retardation = chronic loneliness. The only cure is to find other socially handicapped people. You'll learn better socialization skills while talking to other people and fix the loneliness bit as well.

I don't want to sound mean, but how can anyone expect someone to like them, if they don't like themselves? Love yourself before trying to fall in love... (this may not have anything to do with anything and i may sound like an idiot)

Fight the Power!!

Speaking from my own experience...

Some people get stuck in a rut, i used to stay indoors all the time because i was extremely socialy anxious. I still am without a doubt but i have been scarred with this social retardation. I have quite alot of friends and go out most weekends and sometimes week days to pubs and places.

BUT!

Im extremely shy to the point that about 90% of the time, if not more, i dont even talk, atleast when theres strangers about listening in anyway.

I have been trying to put myself out there and it is definatly helping when considering the fear of going out (i urge anyone able to go out with friends etc, but dont, because of social anxiety who wants to overcome their social anxiety to just do it, eventually you will become at ease but it will take a long time, it has taken me years) but for me atleast the shyness is still there and i find that way harder to overcome.

well im sure it hasnt helped for me. the longer im lonely as the older i get, the less i tend to initiate anything with people.

In my opinion, yes. Experiencing chronic loneliness for a very very long time can affect one's social skills. Usually during the phases of feeling lonely you'll start to ponder what's wrong with everything like yourself and other people particularly those who you believe may not like you. Chances are you might start criticizing yourself in your mind up to the point that you will become very sensitive to rejection and end up being shy which then may affect your social skills with other people. Making friends may not be a problem but keeping them will be.

I worry about this too. I feel myself becoming less and less socially confident as the days go by. I used to make friends without even thinking about how it happens, but now I just tend to overthink everything.

I try to talk to someone, anyone, though! It doesn't have to be a close friend...I'm even trying a little bit harder to be friendlier with people at the store and such, people I've tended to mostly ignore before. I'm also doing even more volunteering that puts me in situations where I'm dealing with strangers. It actually puts the pressure off things to socialize with strangers, because I don't have to worry about whether or not I'll be hanging out with them again or whether we'll be friends, etc. No, we just have friendly conversations, and that helps me a lot! :)

No, i don't think this is true. I feel like people who are socially adept, always will be, if put in the right situations, and mentally prepared - no matter how long its been since they've been "lonely".

I think it would be wise to note that often social retardation is the cause of loneliness, and not the other way around.

I think so, in same way that if your socially retarded chances are you're bound to be chronically lonely. The two work in tandem.

Have reverted from an out-going happy go lucky goofy playful bunny to a recluse insomniac loner, been this way for a number of years now & longer that social retardation persists then the longer the chronic loneliness continues.

Not sure it's like riding a bike, once learned you can't forget it, you need the confidence & continual usage of it, guess is sorta paradoxical, can't meet people to remove the loneliness unless you have the confidence/ability to do so but in order to be able to do this you must overcome social retardation which in turn won't be conquered while you remain chronically lonely because self-esteem is in the shitter.
That made sense.. it did.. right? :D

Best tip, avoid it all by sleeping all day ^^

Emmy said:
I think so, in same way that if your socially retarded chances are you're bound to be chronically lonely. The two work in tandem.

Have reverted from an out-going happy go lucky goofy playful bunny to a recluse insomniac loner, been this way for a number of years now & longer that social retardation persists then the longer the chronic loneliness continues.

Not sure it's like riding a bike, once learned you can't forget it, you need the confidence & continual usage of it, guess is sorta paradoxical, can't meet people to remove the loneliness unless you have the confidence/ability to do so but in order to be able to do this you must overcome social retardation which in turn won't be conquered while you remain chronically lonely because self-esteem is in the shitter.
That made sense.. it did.. right? :D

Best tip, avoid it all by sleeping all day ^^

Yep, its a bit of a spiral. The only way to overcome it is force of will i guess.

I think it can, it depends on the person and how strong they are. I been holding on for awhile, but slowly sliding though. :(

SophiaGrace said:
what the heck does it mean to "love yourself"? o_O

What does it mean to love yourself. Well, after a few hours of pondering, I believe that loving yourself means having the ability to comfort yourself in times of distress, lonliness, excetera; in a healthy, non-destructive manner.

It took me three hours to come to this conclusion, anybody care to disagree?

SophiaGrace said:

If you don't love yourself and care about yourself, there's deeper issues. And trying to find someone to love you won't fix it. That's a problem a lot of people have.

VanillaCreme said:
SophiaGrace said:

If you don't love yourself and care about yourself, there's deeper issues. And trying to find someone to love you won't fix it. That's a problem a lot of people have.

From this I gather by "loving yourself" you mean self respect. As in, you dont let other people walk all over you, you stand up for your emotional needs/physical needs in relationships and in general. You take care of yourself hygiene wize, dont destroy your body with substances. Sounds like you're talking about empowerment rather than feeling disempowered?

uhm...

Not carrying the world's opinions of you on your shoulders and being weighed down by it?

Please do tell me what you think of this assessment.

Loving yourself is not an assessment. And even though it's not hard to do, some people find it difficult. There's so many unimportant values in this world, and people like themselves based off that. Things like money, cars, a fancy job, having a boyfriend/girlfriend... Unless you really love those things, the value of them should not determine if you love yourself.

I'm single, no car, no job, yet, I love myself enough to not place value and self-worth on myself based on that. There should be more value on the character of someone, and their heart and mind.

SophiaGrace said:
What do you think?

Ummmm imo, no. Def. not. Because there are people that have outstanding social skills, acquaintances, a life, basically and they're still lonely.

It's the whole 'I'm surrounded by people day in and day out, but I feel like I'm the only odd person in the universe'. And I'm getting tired of the charade of 'everything is just lovely'...

I like what (not sure who typed it... Vanilla maybe?) one person said though about self-respect and loving yourself.

Am I making any sense today? o_O

iBreathe said:
SophiaGrace said:
What do you think?

Ummmm imo, no. Def. not. Because there are people that have outstanding social skills, acquaintances, a life, basically and they're still lonely.

It's the whole 'I'm surrounded by people day in and day out, but I feel like I'm the only odd person in the universe'. And I'm getting tired of the charade of 'everything is just lovely'...

I like what (not sure who typed it... Vanilla maybe?) one person said though about self-respect and loving yourself.

Am I making any sense today? o_O

I'm not a doctor, but that acctually sounds like a symptom of depression. I know, I'm bothered too by the notion of labeling every sad person as depressive; but with only the information given here (coupled with my limited knowledge of psychiatric disorders), I would probably suggest going to see a doctor. I would love to rant on about your "chi" being low, or how your "energy flow" is slowing down, but seeing how it's a psuedoscience, it would be irresponsible to do so. The cure might be as simple as persuing a passion a little furthur; but once again, talk to your doctor and see what he/she would suggest.

I'm plenty retarded, but still not social...

So I would say no.

Latest posts

Back