How Important is Sex in a Relationship?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse

Reaction score
This is not a question in general, but specifically to you. How important is sex to you in a relationship? Would you be boyfriend or girlfriend with someone that didn't want to have sex? Would you marry someone if they didn't want to have sex?

Would you go out or marry someone if they only wanted to have sex every 6 months?

i havent had sex yet either. but i would like to experience it eventually so if they didnt ever want to that wouldnt work for me.

lol this question made me think of my guy. he almost never wants to have sex, even though I try. he's come to call me the Night Rapist because if i can't get him to do me in the day.. hey he's got to sleep sometime :D but i have a high sex drive, so my answer is no if there was no way i could get some i'd wouldn't be with them. But then again I wouldn't let the relationship get that far.

Not important at all. I'd prefer to be with someone who didn't want or need sex. Yes, I'm asexual.

Jesse said:
This is not a question in general, but specifically to you. How important is sex to you in a relationship? Would you be boyfriend or girlfriend with someone that didn't want to have sex? Would you marry someone if they didn't want to have sex?

Would you go out or marry someone if they only wanted to have sex every 6 months?

A bf who didn't want to have sex? Maybe.
A husband who didnt? No.
Now, you said "didnt want to" not can't, right? "Can't" might get a different response here.
I might could live with the twice a year thing, if there was a good enough reason.
So, I guess sex is fairly important to me. For most couples who genuinely care for one another, I feel that the intimacy from sex brings them closer together. Or at least that's true in my case anyways. :p I guess everyone is different.

Yep, i am still a virgin but i do think that sex is the ultimate display of affection if its with someone you truely adore. If its just sex for sex sake then its pretty meaningless, i generally wouldnt do that.

Sex is important to me. I wouldn't walk away from someone I loved because they became unable too but I'd damned well look for a cure, treatment or creative alternatives...:)

But I do know of a couple who've been together for a number of years and they chose to be completely celibate...

Different strokes for different folks...Whatever works...

Nina said:
...Different strokes for different folks...

:D:D

lol... Answering the OP instead of making immature jokes... yeah, I'd kind of find it hard (ahem) in a relationship that didn't involve sex. ... it's a VERY intimate act, and it sort of acts as an intimate bonding ritual.

If it was a woman I truly adored, then I would happily abandon sex if she never wanted it. I would want lots of kisses and cuddles, though.

That is not to say I do not enjoy sex. Quite the opposite. If the woman I adored enjoyed sex, then I will happily rut like a hog.

epic fale boy said:
Nina said:
...Different strokes for different folks...

:D:D

lol... Answering the OP instead of making immature jokes... yeah, I'd kind of find it hard (ahem) in a relationship that didn't involve sex. ... it's a VERY intimate act, and it sort of acts as an intimate bonding ritual.

:D:D:D Epic....You were very kind to NOT take that quote, the many places you could have...:p I know it must have been...(ahem) hard..for you. I was obviously channeling Freud...

To me, its not that important, but i can tell from the kind of guys im attracted to, they will want to, and so i will, eventually.

Nice to hear opinions on this. Yes Eve I said "didn't want to". :p

Sex is very important to me. I wouldn't allow myself to end up with a girl who wouldn't have sex with me. *shrug* And I wouldn't ever withhold it from a girl that I was with. It's not the most important thing I want in a relationship, but it is a deal breaker if absent.

Badjedidude said:
Sex is very important to me. I wouldn't allow myself to end up with a girl who wouldn't have sex with me. *shrug* And I wouldn't ever withhold it from a girl that I was with. It's not the most important thing I want in a relationship, but it is a deal breaker if absent.

What if it was someone you really really really loved?

Yukhi said:
What if it was someone you really really really loved?

I wouldn't love her if she didn't have sex with me.

It sounds brutish for me to say that, but it's the truth. Part of the reason that I would love a person is because she would have sex with me. *shrug*

And if for some reason love just "happened" to me (which I don't believe works that way), and I did end up loving a girl who didn't want sex, I would explain my position to her and probably hitch up my trousers, take a deep breath, and walk on. I like sex and I want it for as long as I can have it. Not even love can get in the way of that.

Sounds sad and harsh now that I'm saying it aloud, but really.. I suspect that I may not be in the clear minority in my views on the subject.

Were carnal beings..Sex is important.. Ever read Maslow's hierarchy of needs? People have a need to feel loved, and sex is an important part of that.

I think sex is a wonderful thing and that it is something that should be cherished in a relationship... humans should think themselves lucky that they can give each other pleasure in a mental and physical way like we can. :)

I don't think I could answer that until I was in such a situation. As someone who couldn't have sex for a period of time, I'd like to think I'd be able to take the high road and accept a non-sexual relationship. But at the same time, while I would probably stick by someone that lost interest in sex, I have trouble imagining myself becoming interested in someone in the first place that wasn't sexually attracted to me.

Latest posts

Back