Attention.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zorg

I usually feel attention deprived, probably because I'm pretty much a ghost in real life. So, sometimes I find myself in desperate need for attention. I usually turn to acting like a jerk online, just to get a response from someone. I don't know, it makes me feel good that people are actually acknowledging me, but, at the same time I know it's wrong.

How do some of you go about getting attention from others?

Hi Zorg,

I like to listen to others. Some, who want attention, want to be the talker, so I listen. Others, who want to be the silent one, and thus get the attention by being the one talked to, I'm not as good with, because I'll start doing the talking, often the majority of it, and I'm constantly thinking, "Boy, I'm really hogging the conversation, I must look like a real idiot! I've got to stop talking so they can get a word in!" However, often when I stop, the conversation is done, as they see it as being dismissed. I mainly enjoy an equal playing field, shared conversation. It's probably why I'm better at IM's, emails, or letters. Hard to be a one way conversation.

Who's attention do you try to get more? General people, coworkers, the opposite sex? I'd think that your audience determines how you get their attention.

You can get acknowledged online with a different approach also. You would be suprised with how many people take notice of just a kind word, a courteous attitude, or helpful approach.

There are alternatives to your current decisions.

Zorg said:
I usually feel attention deprived, probably because I'm pretty much a ghost in real life. So, sometimes I find myself in desperate need for attention. I usually turn to acting like a jerk online, just to get a response from someone. I don't know, it makes me feel good that people are actually acknowledging me, but, at the same time I know it's wrong.

How do some of you go about getting attention from others?

Latest posts

Back