Really lost right now?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

troubled

I'm at a stage in my life where I don't know how to move forward, and it's really scaring me?

If I don't go to university I face the prospect of working admin or a low level job for a year in this horrible place. I feel trapped and the thought depresses me. My family are great and we live in a nice house which is something i'm very lucky for. I used to be a really top achiever, and they are worried about me. I have basically drifted for two years.

I was browsing facebook (i don't have an account there) looking at some people i recognised from college, and.. i just can't explain. I feel so different to most people (apart from two special people). I can't associate with them or their lives. I want to move far away from this drab city and country. Life seems to be getting harder and i need to drive forward more than ever, but i don't know how to? I am desperate to find my path.

Hey.

I had a friend who once faced similar problem as the one you explained. He did not want to continue on to University before he was certain of what he wanted to do. He decided to take a year in a school in Indonesia where he could try different things like surfing and drawing and other unorthodox schooling.

After his return he found his path in medicine and is currently studying this with great interest. Mind you he had never given any of his friends any indication that he was remotely interested in such a profession before.

In Norway we call similar institutions for "Folkehøyskole"(roughly translated to english: "FolkHighschool") which are schools for people who aren't certain of their path.

It's quite popular in Norway these days. Either "Folkehøyskole" or one year as conscript in the army(Norway has "mandatory" conscription of males for one year, though this can be avoided by studying or having less than impeccable health)

Anyways, the point was that you have more choices than you think, atleast that's the impression I got from your situation.

Maybe you could take a year and try some different lines of work and save up some funds. Then maybe you could do a little traveling. It might give you some extra time to really consider what career you'd like to settle into. I think a lot of people struggle with lifetime career choices at young ages. I ended up as a teacher when I honestly wanted to be an artist. I found my way back to my art but that was after years of teaching. If at all possible, try and give yourself some time to decide where you're going. Best of luck with it. :)

I have a similar problem like you . .. I just graduated and I have NO idea what I want to do with my life.
I'm still struggling with depression . . . it makes it hard to motivate myself to try new things, become interested in my future and move on with my life.

Oh well actually I do have some advice I can give.
Try writing out all your goals you would like to see achieved in your life.
Might give you a little more motivation.

Let me know what you choose to do.

What Sad said. It's really a great choice, and your first two years aren't really much toward your major depending on what you're doing. It's loads of fun, and you'll get used to it as you go. Don't let your fear of the unknown hold you back. Some people say you have 'plenty of time' but really? Just get on with it. Find SOMEthing to do while you keep options open about your choice of study/life/career/etc. yes?

Hey there,

Try not to worry at the moment, many people go through this. You just need to find your feet. Have you thought about going abroad at all? This can be a very enlightening and fulfilling experience that can help you really decide what you want to do with your life. Even if it doesn’t, you will come away with some fantastic experiences and it will certainly help with your self confidence.
There are many opportunities all over the world and you can earn while you are out there. A route this can be done is teaching English as a foreign language and it will also look great on your resume.

If it sounds something that you might be interested in, you might want to download a free copy of TEFL Uncovered: How to Teach Your Way Abroad with TEFL: *link removed*. It will give you information on how to get started, and fill you in on the large variety of opportunities out there!

Keep your chin up my friend, get out there and find your future!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask!

Latest posts

Back