Institutionalize for Depression ?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commonwealth

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my big long story/rant post i made a while ago
http://www.alonelylife.com/showthread.php?tid=10846&page=2

I have a serious question,Has any one or some one you know institutionalized them selfs in Canada ? , Will it help or should i seek to figure out my problems on my own.I have 2 pet cats that are dear to me and i wouldn't want to loose them or my living arrangements either.

Working in medicine (pharmacy) for a couple of years has taught me that i am in all of the "danger zones" so to speak and that i should seek help.I had been speaking with a councilor,A RN of mental health at a local mental health clinic but i stopped some time ago and i feel things are getting progressively worse.

They say that when you ;
• You can't stop crying or feeling sad
• Your appetite or sleep patterns have changed
• You are constantly anxious, worried or angry
• You just don't care anymore
• You have no energy
• You feel worthless or guilty all the time
• You just can't focus or decide what to do
• Your former interests hold no pleasure for you any more
• You want to hide from friends
• You suffer aches and pains and don't know why
• You just can't get up in the morning
• You think about death or suicide being easier than living

If a person can check yes to many of those things should seek emergency help and seek out options of institutionalization.

I don't take any NDRIs (norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitors); SSRIs (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors); and SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors) or in english any antidepressants.

Any insight would be beneficial.

Hey common wealth I have depression as well as panic disorder, I feel that consulting and medications has helped a lot

I just take lexapro, but I have some seraquel that I take if I get a panic attack that helps

I have not been institutionalized, but mental illness is very difficult and sometimes near impossible to deal with on your own. You can't just change your brain chemistry by postitive thinking

if your depression is affecting your life such as making it hard to work or study, it would be good to get some help I don't know if you would need to be instituionalized unless you feel that would be the only to prevent something really bad from happening

A lot of people are against taking anti depresants becuase they think it's bad or it's like brain wash, and I have not not had any brainwashed or souless symptoms since ALL HAIL MISTER FLUFFYKINS!!- *coughs* hmm excuse I had something in my throat there hmm all better

if you can afford to get treatment I think that would you're best choice, also tell some friends or family, they will help to be supportive

I've related to many of those symptoms listed there throughtout my life, so I can empathize with you

though I feel better now

I also wrote an essay on lexapro for my ap psyche class last year for my ap pscyhe class last

year

*hugs*

deprssion and stuff is really hard espically when you're feeling lonely but you're not the only one

we're all in this together and I'm pulling for you

*hugs*

Commonwealth said:
They say that when you ;
• You have no energy

Yes to all but one. That's bad huh.

evanescencefan91 said:
Hey common wealth I have depression as well as panic disorder, I feel that consulting and medications has helped a lot

I just take lexapro, but I have some seraquel that I take if I get a panic attack that helps

I have not been institutionalized, but mental illness is very difficult and sometimes near impossible to deal with on your own. You can't just change your brain chemistry by postitive thinking

if your depression is affecting your life such as making it hard to work or study, it would be good to get some help I don't know if you would need to be instituionalized unless you feel that would be the only to prevent something really bad from happening

A lot of people are against taking anti depresants becuase they think it's bad or it's like brain wash, and I have not not had any brainwashed or souless symptoms since ALL HAIL MISTER FLUFFYKINS!!- *coughs* hmm excuse I had something in my throat there hmm all better

if you can afford to get treatment I think that would you're best choice, also tell some friends or family, they will help to be supportive

I've related to many of those symptoms listed there throughtout my life, so I can empathize with you

though I feel better now

I also wrote an essay on lexapro for my ap psyche class last year for my ap pscyhe class last

year

*hugs*

deprssion and stuff is really hard espically when you're feeling lonely but you're not the only one

we're all in this together and I'm pulling for you

*hugs*

The biggest ideal in the medical community now is not to throw antidepressants at patients due to the large media back lash.Some research for a news agency picked up a CPS once upon a time and read the monograph on the drug and found it's risks of suicide as well as low successful rates in the placebo trials.Thus they are less likely to prescribe antidepressants as well as some of the benzodiazepine's prescribed for anxiety are frequently abused but usually with persons that are opioid addicts as well.I seen alot of methadone patients abuse Benzo's.I think my ex was sliding to that in a facade with grand mal seizure issues.

Anyway yeah, they don't prescribe them as much as they used to.citalopram (lexapro) was pretty common when i worked in pharmacy.and pretty low risk.

Anyway i think some people are afraid that it may not be a magical one pill cure and it doesn't work for every one,Not to mention the stigmas you mentioned above.

Well if you did anything you allowed me to use my education for a sentence or two. :p

I haven't been institutionalized in canada but I have been in the states a few times. It's honestly like taking a vacation and voiding out of life completely, you run on a schedule that's forced on you even down to the pill popping details. Forces a fresh view on your life from a new perspective, long story short, it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable taking a vacation and bringing a camera. Costs about the same too but some places will make you miss sunlight or feel bad for other patients.

Commonwealth said:
...they are less likely to prescribe antidepressants as well as some of the benzodiazepine's prescribed for anxiety...

I've never heard of doctors not prescribing antidepressants for people who need them. The suicide risk is extremly rare and not taking them might actually MAKE you commit suicide. All of the people I know with issues and the people I met in the hospital take antidepressants. My mom even takes them. (she thinks she is depressed but she is just stupid [/rant]) Maybe you just think this because you work in a pharmacy and the issue comes up a lot.

And there are many many anti-anxiety meds that arent benzos. Requip is what I take. There is also effexor, buspar and some beta-blockers.

evanescencefan91 said:
I have some seraquel that I take if I get a panic attack that helps

It is an anti-psychotic that is sometimes used for extreme anxiety. ( I take Seroquil at night to sleep. It litterally knocks you out. You better get to bed because youll pass out at the kitchen table)

Just don't let them give you Celexa. It totally numbs your genitals. And it doesn't make you stop thinking about sex. I actually started to think about it constanty because i couldnt feel it anymore. I made an immediate appointment and got switched to wellbuterin.

I'm currently on Leave of Absence due to depression.

In the midst of changing my life and how my day is structured as well as hope I cope with stress.

[quote/]
They say that when you ;
• You have no energy
• You think about death or suicide being easier than living
[/quote]
aehm, I used to fit in this list 100%, and then something nice would happen, a friend would invite me to a party, or I would meet a cute guy.
What I mean, meds and institutions might do something for very serious depression, but I am not sure they are useful for curing loneliness, if you have other alternatives (soul-searching of other kinds, workshops, therapy groups) perhaps that's also an option to explore.

PS by the way: your letter in the old post was -sigh - it's great that some people out there still have those kinds of feelings. Somebody who can write that, for sure has the imagination to get a worthy life, and the heart to enjoy it.
Cheers :)

@SophiaGrace - I know I haven't been on these forums much lately, but I had no idea you were going through such a rough time. I'm sorry and I hope things get better soon.

@OP - I was in the hospital for a week once (not in Canada) and it really helped. Staff was nice, I got the medical attention I needed, and I had permission to quit worrying about things, and I actually got decent sleep for once. That was a pretty bad time though, and I only ended up there because I was already in the hospital for illness stuff and the doctor thought I was seriously thinking suicide (I wasn't, but I'm glad they put me there anyway)

If you're giving serious thought to killing yourself right now, then get thee to an institution immediately (and please call the Suicide Hotline. They're a big help during a crisis). Otherwise, I would suggest going back to therapy and trying some meds maybe as well. Institutionalization is sort of a last resort.

Latest posts

Back