Question About Western Digital 1TB HDD

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lost Soul

I was at Staples awhile ago and I seen a 1TB laptop HDD. It was Western Digital My Passport Esspentials SE for $212, the question is:

What RPM's does it run at and how much cache is it?

I have tried Western Digital's website but they don't have any info like that.

I have bought a Western Digital 1TB 2.5 HDD for $208 at MysteryByte, but the thing is, it only has 8MB cache instead of 64... (I didn't know that when I bought it) and on Windows XP, it runs awfully slow. I noticed when I installed Windows XP on it, it took at least twice as long as it would normally take.

Another question is, why would WD make a 1TB HDD with only 8MB cache, it doesn't make sense. The bigger HDD capacity, the ore cache it should have. Why? Because when people buy a larger capacity HDD, they usually buy it becuase they have a lot of data to transfer, so it would make it easier and faster to put more memory cache in a more capacity HDD

8MB cache should only be for HDD's with the lowest capacity. Sorry about the rant, just speaking my mind.

Is that English ?

sorry hon I don't even know what youre talking about. I really need to go to sleep. Its been 34 hours. Im posting nonsense. I promise Im not a troll :(

Dorry, my communication skills suck. I feel like I can hardly speak english even thought English is the only language I know. I feel like an alien from another planet...

What I am asking basically is

Does this hard drive:
http://store.westerndigital.com/sto...goryID.26606200/parid.13092300/catid.13093000

Run at 5400 or 7200 RPM (Rotation Per Minute) and does it have a 8, 16, 32 or 64 memory cache.

I have tried Western Digital's website but they don't have any info like that.

I like to know before I buy it.

^^^ no no no you wrote it very well. I mean I don't understand that stuff.

You are some kind of evil genius, arent you ?:cool:

why would WD make a 1TB HDD with only 8MB cache

Why would Willem Defoe make a 1 ton birdhouse with only 8 members of Brittish royalty ? I have no idea....

You probably should've posted this in the Tech area of the forum.

As far as the hard drive, I don't know the specs personally, but I'm reasonably sure that a Google search would find you the information you're seeking.

Best of luck.

Badjedidude said:
It's not that hard, man... seriously.

I Googled this: "western digital 1tb hard drive specs"

and came up with this as the first hit:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=488

Which clearly says, "32MB cache, 7200rpm"

Hope that helps. Browse that site a bit more and you might find some different models with different specs.

I'm searching Google and so far I just come up with reviews. Hopefully one of them will tell me if it's slow or whatnot. I see a few sites gives it a poot rating like 2 or or a 2.5 out of 5.

EDIT: Finally found my answer here: http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?print=1&article_id=110292&cat_id=611

The link that I posted said that it has a transfer rate of 3Gb per second, so the speed of the drive would be limited only by your motherboard's FSB, your SATA cables' speed, and some other specs of the rest of your system.

Overall, the speed should be sufficient for pretty much anything you'd want to use it for.

P.S. Glad you found the info you were looking for.

Latest posts

Back