EXERCISE: Thwart anxiety and depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c2a8z

Reaction score
I am attending this weekly group support for depression and anxiety,
at a company that provides outpatient medicalization services.

Our group usually has between 8-20 members.

Like myself, many of them take medication for psychiatric disorders.
At least 80 percent of them, are also at the very least- technically obese.

For several years, within my 5'3 frame, I weighed over 220 pounds.
I wanted to loose weight, but could never adjust my lifestyle.

Now at about 140lbs, I have since dropped over 80 pounds.
Every week, I do cardio 3 times, strengthening 2 times, and stretching every day. I will not go back. I love being in shape.

Exercising helps to lower my anxiety, provides personal self-confidence and therefore, also reduces overall depression.

I am usually very tired for the rest of the day, after a cardio workout.
While in recovery from a workout, I do not seem to have any extra energy to spend thinking about problems.

Exercise is not relieving all of my mental health issues, but it remains to be a very proactive method, in support of recovering from the accompanied symptoms.

I agree - exercise helps, but it's not a panacea. The endorphin rush is very nice (B----L---I----S----S) while it lasts, and the self-confidence that comes with both the achievement and being nice n trim n sexy cannot be undervalued.

One thing for sure - getting into a regular exercise habit certainly isn't going to make you feel worse. Finding the initial motivation can be tough, however, especially if one is suffering from depression.

Congrats on the achievement of the wieght loss but also on the wisdom of understanding the part it plays on your psychological health. With you're pro-active approach and attitude, I have every hope, you'll move far in attaining a good many of your goals...

hey, that is awesome!
way to go on that! it is well known that exercise is making a difference - but it still takes some intense personal strength to make it work :D

Latest posts

Back