Garages---only place I could think of to ask!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

teach

:)

Okay, being female, and lonely, definitely has it's drawbacks when it comes to some typically-deemed "manly" areas such as construction. (NOT INTENDING TO OFFEND ANYONE WITH THE STATEMENT!!!!)

Usually, when it comes to cars, etc, I can hold my own, only because I am able to research and have respectable background knowledge, if not hands-on, experience to pull from when dealing. When it comes to house-stuff, I'm not as strong. I am able to repair basic plumbing, but forget about replacing the hot water pipe faucet of the laundry washer when it started to leak, I have no idea where to begin, so I wash with cold water for now. Forget about rerouting my dryer vent pipe because it leads out the floor and not the wall (bought the house, did not know this when bought because their dryer was still in at the time), so now I can't close my washer/dryer areas folding doors because the dryer sticks out a couple inches.

Needless to say, you won't find me on a Home Depot commercial anytime soon boasting about my handi-woman skills.

So, right now, I am looking at having a garage built onto the side of the house, two-car (yes, I am hopefull!). Does anyone, male or female, have a clue as to a window of sq ft estimate (small window) I should expect from the couple of contractors I have coming next week to give estimates? I know I shouldn't have this thought, but from experience, I am already counting on each of them to increase the cost soley on the knowledge that it's just me asking for the estimate and they will go with the idea that I am a silly woman who doesn't know squat. So, thus I am asking for any help that can be provided.

I've already run off one handiman this summer when wanting to add two sides to my backyard chain link fence to corner off an area for my dogs. I had the materials, just didn't want to do the labor....the man literally sneered when he quoted $500 just for the labor of putting up two 28 feet sides of fencing. I'm not stupid, just physically lazy and inexperienced, and granted not as physically strong as most men. I showed him the door quickly.

Thanks for any help!!!

Hi Teach

Well my sister lives alone, and what she does when she gets quotes for things that I can't repair for her ( usually electrical jobs, cause you have to have to be licenced in Australia) is she usually gets me to be there with the electritian when he does the quote. So do you know anyone who is a bit handy who can be there when you get your quotes? And I also think that two people are better than one. When you are by yourself some tradesmen can tend to put it over you at times. I'm a mechanical fitter by trade and have seen people get ripped off before specially with car repairs. So if you can have someone there with you when you get your quotes, also if your worried, you can always get somemore quotes from other tradesman, if you think the price is too high.

Thanks, Blue. I've got a couple different people coming to give estimates, and I'll probably line up a few more. Unfortunately, I don't really have anyone handy to stand in. I am seeing a guy, but handy....ummmm, no. (Won't even get into details about the last time I let him "help" me with some plumbing....) :)
Thanks for your advice. What I tend to do, is "pretend" I'm sharing the information with someone else, by taking detailed notes and asking questions, writing the answers down, acting like I'm just getting the info for someone else to make the big decision. Sad isn't it?
I think it's great you do those things for your sister! I don't think my brothers (who live far away) even change their own car's oil.

Latest posts

Back