Poverty-caused loneliness.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatefulman

Reaction score
I'm outgoing, like talking to people and don't find myself unattractive. Unfortunately, I live far from any town or other people, as I have all my life, and am too broke to afford to go around socializing. I hate it because I've exhausted the two towns closest to me for job opportunities and still have nothing. Even when I did get a job, I was broke as a joke all the time. Money is the root of all evil until you have none. I'm starting to think I'll never be able to live on my own. :(

Hatefulman said:
I'm outgoing, like talking to people and don't find myself unattractive. Unfortunately, I live far from any town or other people, as I have all my life, and am too broke to afford to go around socializing. I hate it because I've exhausted the two towns closest to me for job opportunities and still have nothing. Even when I did get a job, I was broke as a joke all the time. Money is the root of all evil until you have none. I'm starting to think I'll never be able to live on my own. :(

I grew up in a very poor family. For years we were supported by government welfare programs. My parents never went on vacations. Never went to the movies, trips, camping, fishing, amusement parks... nothing. I remember spending the majority of my childhood indoors with little to do outside because going any place and doing anything costs money. I always got to hear about all the cool things my classmates were doing and cool places they went with their family, but I never had anything to add to those kind of conversations. Not having money can seriously screw up your social life. I didn't realize the impact it was having on my life when I was a kid. But now that I make 3 times more money than my parents have ever made, the impact that money has on your social life is more obvious to me. When I want to go to a movie, I can go because money isn't an object. I can make the 300+ mile drive to my home state because the cost of gas doesn't deter me.

Living in a rural area can be brutal if you're trying to find a job. My parents did that, and ultimately ended up on welfare. Small towns just don't have alot of career opportunities. Good luck with your situation.

FreedomFromLiberty said:
Hatefulman said:

I grew up in a very poor family. For years we were supported by government welfare programs. My parents never went on vacations. Never went to the movies, trips, camping, fishing, amusement parks... nothing. I remember spending the majority of my childhood indoors with little to do outside because going any place and doing anything costs money. I always got to hear about all the cool things my classmates were doing and cool places they went with their family, but I never had anything to add to those kind of conversations. Not having money can seriously screw up your social life. I didn't realize the impact it was having on my life when I was a kid. But now that I make 3 times more money than my parents have ever made, the impact that money has on your social life is more obvious to me. When I want to go to a movie, I can go because money isn't an object. I can make the 300+ mile drive to my home state because the cost of gas doesn't deter me.

Yeah. My childhood was pretty much the same way. I'd hang out with a friend like four times a year or so because they could barely afford the gas. God I hate being poor. I'd love to go to parties and clubs and stuff but at my old job I spent a third of my weekly salary just DRIVING THERE! God I hate this.

looks like we're in the same boat.

i live in a rural part of town. i live so far out in the country, my backyard is where the sun sets. i'm always broke, and even if i had money, i'd probably just waste it on monster, taco bell, music, and movies. i don't know if this is making much sense (probably not...), but i don't have any friends either, and being poor doesn't make things any easier. being poor and having no friends is like being epileptic and living alone.

...and don't hate on my comment about epilepsy because my brother's epileptic and he used to have 4 or 5 seizures per day. i know what it's like.

Hatefulman said:

I grew up in a working class family, but when I moved out on my own, I was floored by how tough life can be. No one ever gave me any monetary support and I was consistently working overtime just to make ends meet. Years later, I'm still trying my best to improve my situation, but it feels like running on a hamster wheel. I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone at all. I'm always open to talk.

I hear you. I'm about to miss out on a really fun opportunity in a couple of weeks b/c I simply can't afford it.

Being poor sucks.

it's not a great situation - have you considered moving to a bigger city? I always thought being poor there (when I was) to have more possibilities for cheap entertainment. Also, some people I know who couldn't find a job started volunteering and got to travel to amazing places, and got a bit of money too. But, well, hang in there, I wish you to find something very soon.

Latest posts

Back