old (?) and lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaches

Reaction score
Hello there,
this is a really nice forum and I joined even if I live in Europe and this seems more like a US based space, hope to be wrong.
Well, I am female, 338 next month (ah, typo, 38, but that shows how I feel) recently moved to another country so kind of lonely, but the truth is I have never ever been popular, and I wish I could understand why.
Since a few years I am really putting everything I have into being more outgoing, read dozens of books on how to be liked, improve your self esteem, how to be open to relationships, etc, I try to take care of my appearance (always those few kilos overweight), and still, no friends, if I have any they just stand me for a couple of years without spending too much time together and then I move or they move and never visit.

Is it too much to ask for a group of regulars to meet once a week?

I really don't know how I ended up like this, and I am scared of ending up alone, old, angry bitter and constipated like a couple of my female relatives (I am none of the above, except perhaps the first two).
And I just don't want to give up on people, even if they don't like me.

Well, this is me, nice meeting you :)
cheers

Hi Peaces and welcome!

I can only give you one advice, be patient. Because one day your hard work you've to put into changing your situation will pay of big time :). I dont think you will end up angry and bitter after all you put effort in changing it fo the better.

And btw im European too

Hello nice to meet you.

You know, I believe age is in the heart, yes, it's an old cliché but very true and I'm not saying that only because I am 40. :D
We are as old as we believe we are.
Hope you find some friends to meet with on regular basis and some friends here as well :)

Hi there - I know, age is totally in the heart, and mine feels old sometimes :) Maybe that's the problem.
Anyway, here I hope to understand a bit more what is in my power to do to change the situation, have been reading the posts in the other sections (thanks to a flu, have a lot of time).
And, Nightwatcher, I am not sure any results are coming through, I mean, forcing oneself to be more sociable, smile, start interaction etc is useful to make acquaintances (although some times I m afraid of coming through as the Ned Flanders type, if you know what i mean) but no friends. I offer help a lot, and - abracadabra - Ned Flanders effect, I am boring, pushy and nobody wants to spend time with me. Or perhaps I am not pushy enough. Argh, sorry, I ll rant in the appropriate section.
Nice meeting you :)

Hey, Peaches, and welcome. :)

38 isn't old by the way. We actually do have quite a few people here from Europe as well. What part of Europe are you from? I was in the UK and France earlier this year. I loved the UK. :)

Welcome Peaches. It has already been pointed out that there are a lot Europeans here and that at 38 you are far from old, so i will just say hi. :)

actually, I think the "old" thing comes by the fact that everybody I know at the moment is 10 years younger, and I am not finding a group of peers my age. So, yeah, maybe it's just that, didn't mean to offend anybody technically older ("they" I m sure are very young!). Any tips on feeling young again?

actually, I think the "old" thing comes by the fact that everybody I know at the moment is 10 years younger, and I am not finding a group of peers my age. So, yeah, maybe it's just that, didn't mean to offend anybody technically older ("they" I m sure are very young!). Any tips on feeling young again?

Peaches said:

Hi There.. I would like to say welcome too, (although I just joined yesterday!). Even since I aged over 30, I have felt old at times too, so I understand what you mean. You might know you aren't really old, but feel like you are because you are bored and lonely. Hanging out with younger people can make you feel younger and older at the same time. :D In my experience anyways. .. especially when it comes to pop culture references. hehe. But..tips on feeling younger.. hmm.. have to get back to you on that one!
Take care!
Listening to music from when you were a teenager can help for a couple minutes!:cool:

Welcome! I noticed your posts and I thought how full of personality and brightness you seem to have! I hope you'll find this forum helpful just as many of us here have. :D

38 is NOT old!!!!! I refuse to allow that rumor to even get started! :D Welcome to the forum! :)

Latest posts

Back